0.25 Discussion thread

EnderSpace

I figured it out!!!!

But seriously, I came to a conclusion: the mystery feature is........Destructible buildings!

Time for proof:

First, this image:

xQQVl7s.png

As we can see, this bomber made by Squad is heading straight for the KSC...

Then again, Maxsaid during Squadcast:

It's there to "make the secret feature happen more often. (Whispers) I might have said too much"

Players often crash into the VAB/SPH, so this might be possible.

And once again, in a reddit post one of the devs mentioned that "experienced players who played more than 1000 are unlikely to encounter it".

I am 100% positive it's destructible buildings. r

I figured it out!!!!

But seriously, I came to a conclusion: the mystery feature is........Destructible buildings!

Time for proof:

First, this image:

http://i.imgur.com/xQQVl7s.png

And once again, in a reddit post one of the devs mentioned that "experienced players who played more than 1000 are unlikely to encounter it".

I came up with that theory too:

I just found something out. Remember this pic from the devnotes a while ago?:

Maybe...just maybe this is hinting at destructible space center buildings. If so, I'm pushing the regulator [ON THE HYPEUNION PACIFIC 844] to max hype.

The ground crew that cleans up the vicinity of KSC would be very useful. I could finally have the debris option turned back on without running the risk of low fps every rocket launch, and could watch my Kessler ring grow around the planet.

But where do you draw the line for what is unwanted... I have been known to leave things laying around that could be considered debris. Part of a crashed craft I dragged back from the grasslands, a plane that failed miserably during testing, etc. Maybe I'm being nit picky.

My bet, like many others, is that the secret feature is destructible buildings. When you crash into them, you lose funds/rep/science, and have to pay to repair them. The picture that squad released has the buildings far away, leading me to believe they don't want to show us something. It makes so much sense! (to me anyway)

My bet, like many others, is that the secret feature is destructible buildings. When you crash into them, you lose funds/rep/science, and have to pay to repair them. The picture that squad released has the buildings far away, leading me to believe they don't want to show us something. It makes so much sense! (to me anyway)

If it is destructible buildings, they better have a visual for the building being damaged.

I figured it out!!!!

Time for proof:

First, this image:

That has been a running theory for weeks now.

Destructible buildings was one of the first theories thrown around, and I remember MaxMaps saying not long ago that nobody had guessed the secret feature, when it was already one of the most discussed guesses (along with the one about deformable terrain).

Edit: Not to mention Max also said it wouldn't affect gameplay much - something we can't say about the destructible buildings idea. Having the VAB torn to pieces would definitelly affect gameplay fundamentally.

Edited by Parkaboy

But what if he's... lying?! ;)

Sure, he could be lying about anything. And he could as well be using that pic with the plane about to go in a bomb run against the KSC as a way to tease and get us off the right track. That same pic some people are taking as incontestable "proof". Since he never said that the pic was a clue, he wouldn't even be "lying", per se.

Approaching that secret feture logicaly and scientificly:

Feature is more likely to happen if you're less experienced-- what happens more if you're less experienced: Disintegration, Crashes, unnessesary fuel consumption , killing Kerbals, stranding things.-- relevant for a possible feture: disintegration, Crashes and killing Kerbals.

So to trigger it you'll have to do one of these things (99% sure)

Additional info: its not craters as seen in the published explosion pics. a new building has appeared close to the runway and the info:It's there to "make the secret feature happen more often. (Whispers) I might have said too much". That means it can happen without the new building but also with it.

The building won't have new mechanics otherwise all players would be likely to look at it and not only unexperienced. So it's just related with the building in its nature as a 'building' or 'other than terrain structure'.

that means the new feature can either happen with ALL 'buildings' or even all 'other than terrain structures' (eastereggs).

Being given the also mentioned possible triggers and now concluded the objects it involves, the feature will be triggered by colliding things into 'other than terrain structures' . (99% sure) (not yet saying anything about destruction, just how it'll be made happening)

So e.g. new Feature will be triggered by crashing a Plane into the VAB.

What possibilities do we have in that case:

Visual: Destruction of the Structure and visually representing that, maybe even burning buildings, visual immersion things happening at crash site(like Crash crew Kerbals coming to clean up), showing construction-site things during rebuild, maybe hilarious Explosion effects during impact, especially when hitting one of these Fuel/Gas Tanks standing near the Pad, maybe a permanent slight destruction shown so you see how often you already crashed in this savegame, maybe craters on KSC ground(non terrain structure)

Gameplay: loss in Rep for Crash/Destruction , needed Funds for Rebuild, maybe Lost Science if hit the R&D, killed Kerbals and Lost Craft(obviously, thats already there), maybe disabling the function of hit structure for an amount of time to repair.

So the feature will be either one or multiple things of these mentioned (70% sure. just in case i forgot a possibility)

But where do you draw the line for what is unwanted... I have been known to leave things laying around that could be considered debris. Part of a crashed craft I dragged back from the grasslands, a plane that failed miserably during testing, etc. Maybe I'm being nit picky.

No control unit - unwanted. It's that simple. At least for me, because why would you need a thing you can not control?

Sure, he could be lying about anything. And he could as well be using that pic with the plane about to go in a bomb run against the KSC as a way to tease and get us off the right track. That same pic some people are taking as incontestable "proof". Since he never said that the pic was a clue, he wouldn't even be "lying", per se.

Well, gee, all I did was to suggest something...

Approaching that secret feture logicaly and scientificly:

Feature is more likely to happen if you're less experienced-- what happens more if you're less experienced: Disintegration, Crashes, unnessesary fuel consumption , killing Kerbals, stranding things.-- relevant for a possible feture: disintegration, Crashes and killing Kerbals.

So to trigger it you'll have to do one of these things (99% sure)

Additional info: its not craters as seen in the published explosion pics. a new building has appeared close to the runway and the info:It's there to "make the secret feature happen more often. (Whispers) I might have said too much". That means it can happen without the new building but also with it.

The building won't have new mechanics otherwise all players would be likely to look at it and not only unexperienced. So it's just related with the building in its nature as a 'building' or 'other than terrain structure'.

that means the new feature can either happen with ALL 'buildings' or even all 'other than terrain structures' (eastereggs).

Being given the also mentioned possible triggers and now concluded the objects it involves, the feature will be triggered by colliding things into 'other than terrain structures' . (99% sure) (not yet saying anything about destruction, just how it'll be made happening)

So e.g. new Feature will be triggered by crashing a Plane into the VAB.

What possibilities do we have in that case:

Visual: Destruction of the Structure and visually representing that, maybe even burning buildings, visual immersion things happening at crash site(like Crash crew Kerbals coming to clean up), showing construction-site things during rebuild, maybe hilarious Explosion effects during impact, especially when hitting one of these Fuel/Gas Tanks standing near the Pad, maybe a permanent slight destruction shown so you see how often you already crashed in this savegame, maybe craters on KSC ground(non terrain structure)

Gameplay: loss in Rep for Crash/Destruction , needed Funds for Rebuild, maybe Lost Science if hit the R&D, killed Kerbals and Lost Craft(obviously, thats already there), maybe disabling the function of hit structure for an amount of time to repair.

So the feature will be either one or multiple things of these mentioned (70% sure. just in case i forgot a possibility)

Good theories there and logical from what I gather but still for me those things are really not hype-worthy. I hope the secret feature is something else completely.

Good theories there and logical from what I gather but still for me those things are really not hype-worthy. I hope the secret feature is something else completely.

By the way Max talked about it, I don't think the .25 secret feature is going to be something big, so don't expect much or you'll be disappointed. I'm having fun playing the guess game, but I don't have my hopes up. My guess is that the .26 secret feature - the one for which this one is just the groundwork - is going to be much larger.

By the way Max talked about it, I don't think the .25 secret feature is going to be something big, so don't expect much or you'll be disappointed. I'm having fun playing the guess game, but I don't have my hopes up. My guess is that the .26 secret feature - the one for which this one is just the groundwork - is going to be much larger.

They did say that the "secret feature" is a small feature by itself, but lays groundwork for a much bigger feature they're working on.

I made a webm for you guys. Mind you it being silent it is kinda terrible at conveying the new sound effects, but it sounds great.

Edit: No features were toggled on or off for this, but I'm gonna shut up because reading those last couple pages has made nervous about your closeness to figuring it all out :P

From what I can see in the new video is the explosions create force vectors on all parts around them. I assume that's the new feature, cheekly put right in front of our faces.

Let the record show that 26's won't be a secret feature. Even if we wanted it to be, I'm 100% sure that once you guys see the fun little thing we did for this one you'll immediately know what's coming in 26. Plus I'll do another one of those huge blog posts that explains what our goals for 26 are.