0.25 Discussion thread

EnderSpace

Just remember the following, guys:

To date no mod has done it.

It's a small thing (unless it comes up, it won't have an impact on your gameplay at all).

The better player you are, the smaller the chance you will even see it. (Otherwise you will see it and will have to deal with its effects.)

It's something we can do as a perk of adding all the code necessary for the feature that required us to undergo the big art project. Which has got all of our art team chained to their desks.

Kongress hearings minigame?

The big project of the whole team was going through all the parts and redesigning them. There's a word or two from Dan about that. And he said it was pretty big and won't have much time to do any cinematics because of that, IIRC. Don't remember in which dev note it was, though. So if it's about parts it's probably deformable parts, or some sort of other damage effects. And I'm not thinking about the landing legs, solar panels but actual fuel tanks and engines bending or getting black after taking too much of reentrey heat.

That's just one of my many guesses, though.

EDIT: Here it is

I think the "Three artists" here are meant to be NovaSilisko, ClairaLyrae and C7.

AFAIK C7 made the big ARM parts, the plane parts and the Mk1-2 pod, Nova and Claira the other medium and small rocket and probe stuff.

Parts damage with meshes deformed dynamically in real time is a good guess. That could require remodelling many parts with enough vertices to allow the deforming at least somewhat follow whatever impacted the part. Some damage effects could be done even without deforming, say, propellant venting from broken tanks. If the venting propellant also acted as a thruster, causing thrust or torque on the ship, flying straight could become impossible, which some (me included) might find hilarious.

Of course, X-PERI-MENTALS so we will know it sooner than I though. :cool:

Edited by monophonic

Parts damage with meshes deformed dynamically in real time is a good guess. That could require remodelling many parts with enough vertices to allow the deforming at least somewhat follow whatever impacted the part. Some damage effects could be done even without deforming, say, propellant venting from broken tanks. If the venting propellant also acted as a thruster, causing thrust or torque on the ship, flying straight could become impossible, which some (me included) might find hilarious.

That would be pretty awesome. Not random problems, but recoverable problems if you screw up. I like it. That would be a TON of work to implement for all parts though.

I could be TOTALLY wrong but I believe I saw a clue to what the .25 secret thing could be in the latest dev notes.

"the new testers are looking forward to getting their hands mucky with the goo of many, many Kerbals."

When a Kerbal impacts the ground he will spode into green goo.

What say you?

Wow will hitting the air control tower with an airplane affect gameplay :)

Probably will, since the air tower is directly connected to the Spaceplane Hangar. So no more spaceplanes for you.

I so hope it's not this. I hate it in a driving game when I slam into the wall and the opposite bumper deforms like I hit a telephone pole with it, simply because I've reached that level of 'damaged' with the car. If I crash headlong into the roof of the VAB I don't want it to remain pristine while the door gets a dent.

Fair point, but hey - those are the burdens of keeping graphics and high FPS at the same time. :P

I can still believe in it. I don't think part deformation will be that interesting, but hey - it's my opinion.

You certainly can!

And yeah considering the tiny amount of parts left after a crash it doesn't make any sense and it certainly isn't funny.