0.25 Discussion thread

EnderSpace

I would like:

Detailed biomes on Duna, Moho, and Eve (maybe Duna first ?).

Expended outer planets (Uranus, Neptune and even *gasp* Pluto analogues.

Docking Nodes on Action group for switching on/off fuel crossfeed, that would make for interesting rockets.

Kethane part of Stock KSP, and most of the Cosmo stuff too (solar panels are really nice)

Better nuclear engines (800isp but 250 thrust ?) and better ion drives (250 thrust too while keeping good ISP)

What I would really want:

Something that makes 1k part things not lag. My Computer is a bomb, and yet it gets really laggy around 700 parts. Optimization or multi-core physics support (I think that was how it was referred)

A Uranus Planet analogue. Put it far and let us the player rise to the challenge of going there.

Dynamic lighting for low light conditions so that the dark side of kerbin is actually visible when the sun isn't blinding you, or you can see your craft when in shadow of a planet. Its like when your eyes dilate to let more light in in dark conditions, but your screen is locked to the conditions for bright light.

I'd like to see the antennas changed.

I imagine it would make more sense if they operated like this:

Communotron 16 Range: 50 million m (should work out to Minmus)

Comms DTS-M1 Range: 10 billion m (greater than the distance between Kerbol and Moho)

Communotron 88-88 Range: 75 billion m (significant fraction of distance between Kerbol and Eeloo)

It would also be nice to make it so signals could be bounced between vessels in range of each other to make a path to Kerbin. I imagine the physics of having multiple vessels decrease their energy to retransmit would be difficult to do, so their energy usage could just be ignored, and only the one doing the original transmission would take the energy hit. If they could all take the energy hit, that would be even better.

Lastly, make the recovered sample returns worth the full science for wherever they're recovered from, but transmitted science only earns a capped amount. Recovering a sample after transmitting should earn the rest of the available science for that area. The function of labs would then be to allow full science to be earned, but only if it can be transmitted back to Kerbin.

This would incentivize players to build and launch probes into planetary orbits for building up their communication network, and make gathering science just a touch harder, while making the labs much more useful in the late game.

^^But you already have water in the KSC for a long time :D Just go straight from the end of the runway to the water and you will find a thin strip of water right in front of it that says it belongs to KSC...

The issue is that you can't be splashed in it in science terms, since the game assumes that KSC is 100% land, period :/

The only thing I can think of that would fit this whole description for a secret feature is bankruptcy. That's something even average player never gets close to, not to mention a good one.

And if so then I suppose we might see loans? In case you get bankrupt - you can get some quick cash injection in hope to revive your space program?

But then again - it'd only make sense if bankruptcy would be something you can get by just playing bad, not intentionally trying to get bankrupt as it is now.

How about some parts?

Ahhh.... have you been reading the devnotes? It has been confirmed Spaceplane Plus is being added into KSP, so those are some parts for you.

better ion drives (250 thrust too while keeping good ISP)

-snip-

Optimization or multi-core physics support

Not that I have anything against increased thrust on the ion drives, but as it is now, the thrust is no way near proportional to real life ion drives. And 250 thrust instead of 2.5? That is going to MASSIVELY increase the amount of electric charge and xenon gas being used. If it were to be increase to 250, than you're going to need a literal metric butt tonne of solar panels and batteries just to keep the ion drives going. Just saying. And I believe its more like "Optimization FOR multi-core physics support". This would increase the frames of high-part count ships, which is really better for people with less powerful computers (that have more than one core) and also increase the performance for people who want to make massive monstrosities (namely, Whackjob... and his insane creations)

if it's something not done by any mod, fun to do over and over again and good players won't run into it, perhaps a simulation building so you can test rockets without actually having to launch anything? I think personally good players could just build a rocket and have it work first time, but not as good players would use simulations to see whether their rocket would explode horrifically or not

Psssst. Sandbox mode.

I'm leaning toward the emergency crews.

Especially since the new building at the end of the runway was put there to support the "secret feature." I've been leaning towards that ever since the first time someone mentioned it.

The only thing I can think of that would fit this whole description for a secret feature is bankruptcy.

Doesn't fit one other thing that was said about it, that Harvester spent a day just having fun with said "secret feature." I don't see where this would fit that.

Psssst. Sandbox mode.

Where is this "sandbox mode" button I can click and just go to simulation mode during my career game?

Or are you talking go to dos or explorer, copy your craft file from your career game to your sandbox game, then exit out of your career game, enter your sandbox game, use hyperedit to get your ship into the situation that you want to test it in*, and then do the test and see you need something, then forget if you've unlocked that part yet so exit out of sandbox and go back into career to check, then go back into sandbox to actually put that part on, then use Hyperedit* to test it again, etc?

No, I still want a "test this" button.

*Or if you REALLY hate yourself, turn on infinite fuel and actually fly the ship to Tylo orbit each time.

This

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92819-An-arguement-for-a-quickfix-in-the-spaceplane-patch

But at this point, I'd say whatever is in .25 is in, as they said its already in QA, ie bugs squishing phase.

Oh and just because its huge doesnt make it a monstrosity ^^

http://dundral.imgur.com/all?

Edited by DundraL

Man, twitch lets me in sometimes and blocks me at others. Soooo frustrating.

I was unable to re-watch my link above, but on or about the 30 min. mark, the Rowsdower Image is discussed. Max states ( I'm paraphrasing here ) that what we're calling Nessi is something that allows the secret feature to happen more often. Which leads me to believe I know what the secret feature is. He then says: Well I probably said too much and he and Yargnet (sp) chortle maniacally.

Sorry I can't be more specific. Thanks Twitch!

Can anyone else elaborate?

Man, twitch lets me in sometimes and blocks me at others. Soooo frustrating.

I was unable to re-watch my link above, but on or about the 30 min. mark, the Rowsdower Image is discussed. Max states ( I'm paraphrasing here ) that what we're calling Nessi is something that allows the secret feature to happen more often. Which leads me to believe I know what the secret feature is. He then says: Well I probably said too much and he and Yargnet (sp) chortle maniacally.

Sorry I can't be more specific. Thanks Twitch!

Can anyone else elaborate?

Nessi space reference: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2014-117

EDIT: Secret feature confirmed - exoplanets smash into KSP every time a kerbal dies; this is the only viable feature.

Edited by Linear

There was also mentioned, that a few people already guessed right. But WHO?!?

Humm... We'll just have to wait and see I guess. Except why not keep up the wild speculation?

Destructible KSC has been mentioned a few times. Fuel depot too, and that could certainly count as a building that would allow the destruction to happen more often. You know, storage tanks with volatile chemicals aplenty. :-) The next game changer feature for 0.26 could then be the need to buy your space center buildings.

But, you know what else would be an awesome feature? Procedural rockets! Keep failing your missions and get offered a design tailored to the task. Or go visit Jeb at his junkyard if you want to buy one straight away. Unless the algorithm was very advanced, it would be prone to produce, well, hilarious designs. This in turn would pave way for competing space programs.

Humm... We'll just have to wait and see I guess. Except why not keep up the wild speculation?

Destructible KSC has been mentioned a few times. Fuel depot too, and that could certainly count as a building that would allow the destruction to happen more often. You know, storage tanks with volatile chemicals aplenty. :-) The next game changer feature for 0.26 could then be the need to buy your space center buildings.

But, you know what else would be an awesome feature? Procedural rockets! Keep failing your missions and get offered a design tailored to the task. Or go visit Jeb at his junkyard if you want to buy one straight away. Unless the algorithm was very advanced, it would be prone to produce, well, hilarious designs. This in turn would pave way for competing space programs.

To be honest i'd be happy to let someone of basic programming skills to create the algorithm for that exact purpose.

There was also mentioned, that a few people already guessed right. But WHO?!?

It was me.

The Secret Feature is confirmed to be even more randomization in the text generator for contracts. So instead of "As a result of that apparently horrible chain of events, as you can imagine, we now need your help" etc, descriptions will be like "awe painstaking eagerness pumpkin wafted allied rungs ineffectiveness legion obligates unrolling cynic".

I, for one, welcome our new random 'unrolling cynics' overlords.

(Squad was actually mistaken in believing that nobody had made a mod to make the descriptions LESS sensible.. My Even Less Comprehensible Mission Text Generator has over 400 million downloads!)

So therefore, in conclusion, returnees latecomer habituate calculable objectively, probabilities garlanded stinks coveted erupting indemnifies explore pummel sloughing gentrified.

It was me.

The Secret Feature is confirmed to be even more randomization in the text generator for contracts. So instead of "As a result of that apparently horrible chain of events, as you can imagine, we now need your help" etc, descriptions will be like "awe painstaking eagerness pumpkin wafted allied rungs ineffectiveness legion obligates unrolling cynic".

I, for one, welcome our new random 'unrolling cynics' overlords.

(Squad was actually mistaken in believing that nobody had made a mod to make the descriptions LESS sensible.. My Even Less Comprehensible Mission Text Generator has over 400 million downloads!)

So therefore, in conclusion, returnees latecomer habituate calculable objectively, probabilities garlanded stinks coveted erupting indemnifies explore pummel sloughing gentrified.

Have a feeling undergraduates are going to start using this generated text as hyperbole in dissertations.