- Unpaid Research Program

- Outsourced R&D

Public Relations

- Appreciation Campaign

- Open Source Tech Program

Operations

- Aggressive Negotiations

- Recovery Transponder Fitting

Doesn't look like any physics altering stuff, just bonuses for science, funds and rep (with recovery transponder making recovery % better).

They are on a quarterly (+/- 3month) release schedule. The last was towards the end of july, making the next towards the middle-end of october ... not this weekend. But they also want to do another release (.26) before going on christmas vacation. So if you want to pick a target period, start with the midpoint between the last release (July 25th) and the next planned release (say December 15th). Then look for a Tuesday. After that you can compare the pattern of public statements, talk of experimental builds and such, to pick which Tuesday is the scheduled date.

It's not rocket science.

And don't listen to statements regarding Squad having no schedule. They do. The last dev notes said "...we’ve arrived to our first goal in our production calendar. Some models were missing...". They could not arrive at a goal with missing work unless that goal was a time rather than a development milestone defined by the completion of work. They have a calendar on the wall with target dates. They just don't share that info with outsiders.

Edited by Sandworm

I watched a video and have to say, that building explosions are far more unrealistic than indestructible ones. I did not see what that object was, but it was very small and exploded whole VAB and part of research center. Buildings seems to be like cars in low quality action movie, which explode with gentle touch. If some kerbal worker gets angry and slam the door, whole building changes to smoking crater. I am happy that game does not model acoustic waves of launches.

I hope that it was special version for show purpose.

I watched a video and have to say, that building explosions are far more unrealistic than indestructible ones. I did not see what that object was, but it was very small and exploded whole VAB and part of research center. Buildings seems to be like cars in low quality action movie, which explode with gentle touch. If some kerbal worker gets angry and slam the door, whole building changes to smoking crater. I am happy that game does not model acoustic waves of launches.

The video was using the Whack-a-Kerbal debug feature. It allows you to spawn heavy spheres and fire them very, very fast. This isn't something that would occur within the game naturally. You'd have to drop a whole rocket right on top of the VAB to destroy it.

Keep a look out for Scott Manley's video when the embargo lifts :)

Keep a look out for Scott Manley's video when the embargo lifts :)

Can you make a list of the parts that will be removed from the C7 pack please?

I know the fuselages are going to be removed, but I've heard rumors that the wings will also be removed, which will really put A hurt on my save files.

Can you make a list of the parts that will be removed from the C7 pack please?

I know the fuselages are going to be removed, but I've heard rumors that the wings will also be removed, which will really put A hurt on my save files.

Maxmaps mentioned in last week's Squadcast that all the old parts will remain in the game in 0.25 and be removed in a later version, for just that reason. You'll have a few months to get those legacy craft recovered.

Honestly, I wish they spent less time on the cinematics. If the devnotes are any indication, they take man-weeks of work, man-weeks that could be spent making more or better art assets for the game. Seems like a ton of effort for a couple of minute long video that few people will watch more than once, if at all.

That and it's a bit misrepresentative of the game to have better models and graphics in promotional materials. Not quite a bullshot as it's not claimed to be in game footage, but it's a bit disappointing that all that model and texture work doesn't make it into the game.

You do have a point, if they add in all the cinematic effects in the game, it would definitely look better than it does now.

Maxmaps mentioned in last week's Squadcast that all the old parts will remain in the game in 0.25 and be removed in a later version, for just that reason. You'll have a few months to get those legacy craft recovered.

All the old parts? I would have rathered they just replaced them all, giving the new parts the same internal names as the equivalent old, so craft files would at least be loadable....

Oh well. There's always find and replace.

Also, I kind of agree on the cinematics thing. They are awesome, but it's really about time we had a female kerbal, as discussed previously...

Edited by Tw1

How many times have you crashed into them?

I dont think i ever have unless it was on purpose (never done that either, wait...)

Crashed an huge upper stage into VAB back in 0.35 was pretty cool as the crew cabin was separated and landing on top of vab after the +100 ton stage hit it.

Hit the control tower a couple of times but this was during spaceplane testing who would be simulation, unlike rockets who I know will reach orbit unless something goes wrong spaceplanes require an long testing phase who end it regular test flight to find the cruise mode to get to orbital speed.

I wonder and excuse me if someone has already thought of it. What would happen if you strapped a nuclear engine and fuel tank inside the cargo bay, let it fly, and start running the engine on the nuke. With the new explosion effects would it create a nuclear bomb?

I wonder and excuse me if someone has already thought of it. What would happen if you strapped a nuclear engine and fuel tank inside the cargo bay, let it fly, and start running the engine on the nuke. With the new explosion effects would it create a nuclear bomb?

That's not what a Nuclear Engine is. It is a name. Just like how nuclear reactors don't explode in a mushroom cloud.

Hey all, I was going to make a separate thread for my question but I figure it should go here: Basically I do NOT want to update to .25. I wish to keep the current version 24.2, as I have gotten further in science mode then I ever have before (made my first mun base! will probably post pics soon), and do not want to restart (I am using quite a few mods and am guessing .25 will break some of them. It took me a good couple of hours to get them all working together and I would rather not have to redo that) Not wishing to restart, is there a way to force my computer to not update KSP or its mods? I am using it on Steam, which I know is very update happy and I am not sure if there is a way to play a game without updating if one is available? (never tried it before, and I don't want to risk my save) and have modulemanager installed to check for mod updates, but I was thinking of removing it so it does not try to update some mods to .25 (when I do upgrade it will be all or nothing). Any suggestions on how to keep playing 24.2 once .25 is out? Should I copy my gamedata folder and paste it over the update? (I don't think that will work, as it would probably try to update again.)

Hey all, I was going to make a separate thread for my question but I figure it should go here: Basically I do NOT want to update to .25. I wish to keep the current version 24.2, as I have gotten further in science mode then I ever have before (made my first mun base! will probably post pics soon), and do not want to restart (I am using quite a few mods and am guessing .25 will break some of them. It took me a good couple of hours to get them all working together and I would rather not have to redo that) Not wishing to restart, is there a way to force my computer to not update KSP or its mods? I am using it on Steam, which I know is very update happy and I am not sure if there is a way to play a game without updating if one is available? (never tried it before, and I don't want to risk my save) and have modulemanager installed to check for mod updates, but I was thinking of removing it so it does not try to update some mods to .25 (when I do upgrade it will be all or nothing). Any suggestions on how to keep playing 24.2 once .25 is out? Should I copy my gamedata folder and paste it over the update? (I don't think that will work, as it would probably try to update again.)

I don't think you'll be forced to restart, or otherwise lose your progress.

But if you really want, you can certainly avoid updating. If you have it through Steam, you can set it not to auto-update the game. And if you have it through other means and are using the Squad patcher, you can just run the KSP.exe directly and skip checking for updates.

A lot of people seem to think everything 'nuclear' is bad, radioactive and blows up like hell if exploded.

It's not the fault of this people (mostly), because i think the term 'nuclear bomb' was a very poorly choosen name in history and now leaves its mark on anybody who isn't interested in physics. Fission Bomb would have been better, or even Chain-Fission Bomb to differenciate it from fission reactors. But it's too late, now most people think everything nuclear is evil and potential catastrophic :(

For your question, short physics crashcourse:

Look at Tschernobyl or Fukushima, there isn't a big crater, just collapsed buldings and a lot of radiation. A NERVA(the LV-N) has such a small fission reactor inside, so if it gets destroyed it'll be a normal explosion as every other engine, but a lot of radiation will be released.

A fission bomb has to be specifically build to be that: a bomb. Otherwise it won't explode like a fission bomb. And the term 'nuclear' is just scientific for 'atom' or atom-core, everything solid is nuclear, (so no radiation), you , me , the planet , everything is made out of atoms. And it also hasn't anything to do with radiation. You can even fission non-radioactive materials, but the thing is you'll gain the most energy with uranium(or plutonium) which are slightly radioactive ( the fission products even more) . But everything radiates radioactive, just some materials more others less.

Don't think now fission reactors are totally safe, they're not as seen with Fukushima and Tschernobyl. But thats because the radiation, not because potential huge explosions.

(And please, when nuclear fusion is far enough developed to be in the media, please don't think it must be bad because it contains the word 'nuclear'. It's not. It's the same process happening in every star. And it'll solve our energy problems. )

A lot of people seem to think everything 'nuclear' is bad, radioactive and blows up like hell if exploded.

It's not the fault of this people (mostly), because i think the term 'nuclear bomb' was a very poorly choosen name in history and now leaves its mark on anybody who isn't interested in physics. Fission Bomb would have been better, or even Chain-Fission Bomb to differenciate it from fission reactors. But it's too late, now most people think everything nuclear is evil and potential catastrophic :(

For your question, short physics crashcourse:

Look at Tschernobyl or Fukushima, there isn't a big crater, just collapsed buldings and a lot of radiation. A NERVA(the LV-N) has such a small fission reactor inside, so if it gets destroyed it'll be a normal explosion as every other engine, but a lot of radiation will be released.

A fission bomb has to be specifically build to be that: a bomb. Otherwise it won't explode like a fission bomb. And the term 'nuclear' is just scientific for 'atom' or atom-core, everything solid is nuclear, (so no radiation), you , me , the planet , everything is made out of atoms. And it also hasn't anything to do with radiation. You can even fission non-radioactive materials, but the thing is you'll gain the most energy with uranium(or plutonium) which are slightly radioactive ( the fission products even more) . But everything radiates radioactive, just some materials more others less.

Don't think now fission reactors are totally safe, they're not as seen with Fukushima and Tschernobyl. But thats because the radiation, not because potential huge explosions.

(And please, when nuclear fusion is far enough developed to be in the media, please don't think it must be bad because it contains the word 'nuclear'. It's not. It's the same process happening in every star. And it'll solve our energy problems. )

Thanks for the lecture. I was just wondering because when the LV-N runs it must create some form of fission beyond a regular engine. Accounting for it exploding during that process it could make some sort of explosion beyond regular fuel combustion.

Also FTR I know nuclear reactors don't explode. They go wrong because they get to hot and melt. thats why the LV-N overheats when it runs on max for too long. Right? (oh and also im not being sarcastic i am genuinely thankful for the information on the subject)

Edited by KanadianCerbal

Thanks for the lecture. I was just wondering because when the LV-N runs it must create some form of fission beyond a regular engine. Accounting for it exploding during that process it could make some sort of explosion beyond regular fuel combustion.

Also FTR I know nuclear reactors don't explode. They go wrong because they get to hot and melt. thats why the LV-N overheats when it runs on max for too long. Right? (oh and also im not being sarcastic i am genuinely thankful for the information on the subject)

No Problem :)

And for the overheating: Thats just inaccuracy of KSP (As is that a Nerva would only need liquid fuel and no oxidizer). For a NERVA it would actually be good to run at full thrust all day long. In a fission reactor you have to cool the fuel elements all the time to prevent meltdown. In a normal power plant thats done by water. In a NERVA this heat is actually used as the propulsion, the liquid hydrogen flows over the fuel elements of the reactor, heating up and providing propulsion, cooling the reactor in the process. You actually have to run a cooling system while a NERVA is shut down to prevent overheat and meltdown, through constantly letting the fuel cool the reactor.

If on full throttle the reactor would be fine as the heat gets carried away into space. while shut down it uses its own heat to power its cooling system letting the fuel cool the engine, so technically a NERVA would overheat as soon as it rans out of fuel.

And all the fuel that was connected to the circle of a NERVA is contamined and radiates. So don't let your Kerbals touch or even drink any of the fuel that was in a craft which had an LV-N attached ;)

Edited by SkyRex94