0.25 Discussion thread

EnderSpace

So we know the space center's destroy able but what about the second one on the island? And what about all the Easter eggs in the game? How cool would it be to visit the Stonehenge on Vall and accidentally hit one and cause it to collapse, or smash the space kraken on bop to peices? There more than meets the eye than just the space center with this update and I hope squad relished that too. So what do you think?

I can just imagine hitting the Space Kraken too hard and it blowing up. In fact, perhaps it could just spontaneously combust when your ship is nearby? :P

I can just imagine hitting the Space Kraken too hard and it blowing up. In fact, perhaps it could just spontaneously combust when your ship is nearby? :P

Something similar would actually work as a serious gameplay element: fragile biomes that disappear if you drop too much rocket junk on them or fire up heavy thrusters in their vicinity.

So we know the space center's destroy able but what about the second one on the island? And what about all the Easter eggs in the game? How cool would it be to visit the Stonehenge on Vall and accidentally hit one and cause it to collapse, or smash the space kraken on bop to peices? There more than meets the eye than just the space center with this update and I hope squad relished that too. So what do you think?

Don't be hopeful.

I'm concerned about this feature because as awesome as it is, I'm going to be really annoyed to play Career and accidentally crash into one of the buildings and be stuck with it being destroyed. I know I can quicksave/load but I like to play career with out it

Do the buildings get rebuilt after a certain period of time or will I be stuck with a smoking rubble pile...

Cargo bays will eliminate drag from parts within them, even in stock aero. This paves the way for useful fairings in stock, and perhaps a better aero model in general.

Edit: Apparently this is not in 0.25, but 0.26 or later.

Fantastic! I really do hope they extend that to fairings. I'd love for that to be an available feature with fairing mods.

Cargo bays will eliminate drag from parts within them, even in stock aero. This paves the way for useful fairings in stock, and perhaps a better aero model in general.

Edit: Apparently this is not in 0.25, but 0.26 or later.

Woah.. That might have catastrophic consequences for stability in stock aero... Make sure your cargo bays are mounted in a forward location :S

To further what Red said, I found a quote from Max on Reddit that may help the better aero crowd cheelax a bit. :

"Hey now, let's not go nuts yet. As I tweeted afterwards, it's not something for 0.25, but it's something for the future.

If you want an official stance on aerodynamics; We know they need work, however for the alpha stage we feel like they are sufficient. Not great, just sufficient. Once we actually reach feature complete, then we'll absolutely look into them, see what we can and should fix to get them to a proper standard. For now, the team has to work on getting features that don't exist to actually exist, before we get to getting to improve things that currently exist but aren't great.

Tl;dr: We know aero isn't great. We'll get to it. Just not in 0.25."

Emphasis is mine.

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2hyeor/maxmaps_cargo_bays_will_shield_contents_in_stock/

Edited by Aethon

Please, use FAR or NEAR until further notice.

That sounds like a public service announcement.

"Friends don't let friends use stock air!"

Also INB4 someone complains about aero failures in FAR even though there's literally a big round button to turn them off.

To further what Red said, I found a quote form Max on Reddit that may help the better aero crowd cheelax a bit. :

"Hey now, let's not go nuts yet. As I tweeted afterwards, it's not something for 0.25, but it's something for the future.

If you want an official stance on aerodynamics; We know they need work, however for the alpha stage we feel like they are sufficient. Not great, just sufficient. Once we actually reach feature complete, then we'll absolutely look into them, see what we can and should fix to get them to a proper standard. For now, the team has to work on getting features that don't exist to actually exist, before we get to getting to improve things that currently exist but aren't great.

Emphasis is mine.

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2hyeor/maxmaps_cargo_bays_will_shield_contents_in_stock/

I greatly approve of this message. Much more reassuring than the previous stance of "we'll look at it, maybe".

To further what Red said, I found a quote form Max on Reddit that may help the better aero crowd cheelax a bit. :

Emphasis is mine.

How hard was this. Thanks for the check-up, Squad, sincerely. I'm sure we'll all be holding you to it.

edit: bonus points to whomever updates the Planned Features wiki entry with a new citation.

Sooo.... My money was on release yesterday. Too bad it didn't happen.

I originally thought so too. But when Monday came and went, without the media release flood, then it was clear that it was going to take longer. Now I think next week is a safe bet, since they said the media updates will start Saturday.