Mod-Oriented Tech Tree (Aug 3, v0.3.3 bug fixes)

cvod

What's your impression of the current progress?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. What's your impression of the current progress?

• I'd like to test/use this tech tree
    • I like where this is going
    • might be interested when it's finished
    • it looks too cluttered
    • not a fan of how it's organized

This tree is designed to provide a fun experience for everyone, and to integrate mods better in the career mode experience. It gives you significantly more control over your tech path than the stock tree while still being bound by logical dependencies. This tree does not force probes or spaceplanes in the early game, but it attempts to make them more accessible and useful. You still start with a manned command pod, but the rest of the manned control is harder to get and more expensive than the probe cores (the emphasis on probes especially becomes clear if you install TAC life support). The first spaceplane node will give you plenty of parts to make decent Mk I spaceplanes. This makes it easier to use spaceplanes earlier in career mode. The rest of the tree is organized with an equal amount of consideration on gameplay. I wanted to make sure each node was useful, its dependencies made sense, and its parts made sense. Whether you are new to Kerbal or an experienced player, this tech tree should make career mode a lot more fun.

Keep in mind that there are no mods required to use this tree. It should be playable with any mods you would like to use. Also, none of the stock nodes have been deleted, so any unsupported mod parts will still show up in a related part of the tree. Having an unsupported mod should not be detrimental to gameplay. They will just be placed as if you are using the stock tree. There are also a lot of nodes that you will only see if you have specific mods installed. Basically, your tree will grow with how many mods you feed it. The full tree may look a bit overwhelming, but you will likely not see all of it.

This is still in the development phase, so feedback is more than welcome. I would love to hear your suggestions. At this point in the development I do not think the node hierarchy will drastically change again. The rest of the development will mainly be part sorting, node renaming, and science balancing. I especially want to focus on science balancing so be sure to leave feedback on that! Also, I have implemented some other awesome mods from the development forums. If there are any mods that you do not recognize, I encourage you to go check them out!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

IMPORTANT! There are now two tree files to choose from. The main one has reduced science values on the first nodes, and the alternate one has increased values. With the alternate tree, use the custom settings to start with 30 science. With the raised node costs, you will have to be more committed to whichever tech path you choose. Let me know how you like this new mechanic because I would like to make the "alternate" tree the primary tree in future releases.

DOWNLOAD (version 0.3.3) or check Kerbal Stuff

(under Creative Commons License)

Recent Changes:

- everything

- construction node hierarchy re-organized

- everything below spaceplanes re-organized

- fusion tech only requires the first nuclear node (works better when not using Interstellar)

- Near Future ion nodes fixed to be match Nertea's original structure

- resource nodes moved from top of the tree to the bottom

- resource nodes' parts sorted similar to the CTT

- resource nodes got pushed a little deeper in the tree and made more expensive

- first two spaceplane nodes condensed into one (and then some part re-sorting)

- made unmanned parts easier to get to

- some node research price changes and renaming

- lots of mods added

- ironed it out and made the whole tree a bit more compact

Supported Mods:

Interstellar - link

Near Future (propulsion, construction, electrical, solar, spacecraft) - link

Stockalike Station Part Expansion - link

USI Kolonization Systems - link

Karbonite - link

Karbonite Plus - link

Freight Transportation Technologies - link

USI Survivability Pack - link

USI Exploration Pack - link

Advanced Mining Technologies - link

Asteroid Recycling Technologies - link

Alcubierre Warp Drive - link

Kethane - link

KW Rocketry - link

RLA Stockalike - link

Tantares Stockalike (Proton, Soyuz) - link

NovaPunch - link

AIES - link

Modular Rocket Systems - link

Taurus HCV - link

FTmN Atomic Rockets - link

Atomic Age - link

Klockheed Martian (Space Shuttle Engines, Smart Parts)

KSPX - link

Stock Part Revamp - link

B9 - link

Mark IV Spaceplane System - link

OPT Spaceplane Parts - link

KSOS - link

KAX - link

Bahamuto Dynamics - link

Mk2 Lightning Cockpit - link

Adjustable Landing Gear - link

TAC Life Support - link

Universal Storage (core, KAS, TAC) - link

KAS - link

ActiveStruts - link

MechJeb - link

EngineerRedux - link

Procedural Fairings - link

Procedural Parts - link

Procedural Dynamics - link

B9 Procedural Wings - link

RealChute - link

RemoteTech - link

SCANsat - link

BoxSat - link

CactEye Telescope - link

DeadlyReentry - link

Infernal Robotics (main, station parts)

MSI's IR Model Rework (robotic, structural, struts, athlete, utility) - link

EPL - link

Kerbal Foundries - link

DMagic Orbital Science - link

Station Science - link

Real Fuels (stockalike engine configs) - link

AJE - link

Engine Ignitor - link

Mission Controller - link

TalCargoSolutions - link

Habitat Pack - link

Fustek Station Parts - link

6S Service Compartment Tubes - link

Surface Lights - link

Burn Together - link

(Green: recently added)

Planned Supported Mods:

-Tundra Exploration

-D12 Aerotech (when it's updated)

-FASA*

-HGR*

-KOSMOS*

*these will probably only be implemented if requested

Planned Changes:

-better implementation of unmanned version

-rebalancing science costs

-adding descriptions

-more icon diversity

Edited by cvod
updated to 0.3.3

Hey, this looks like a pretty cool tech-tree. I have experimented with several others and attempted to modify them to suit the mods I play with, I will try this one out as well.

Just off the top of my head I would suggest integrating Mission Controller as it ads several important parts for career mode, and KSOS, which adds a ton of awesome parts.

Hey, this looks like a pretty cool tech-tree. I have experimented with several others and attempted to modify them to suit the mods I play with, I will try this one out as well.

Just off the top of my head I would suggest integrating Mission Controller as it ads several important parts for career mode, and KSOS, which adds a ton of awesome parts.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will probably add those to the list.

How do you think this would work without Interstellar? I see the note says its recommended to fill up most of the nodes, but that doesnt mean it is required! =P

It should work fine. I think I might actually change that in the OP since it mainly adds new nodes instead of filling up original nodes.

Nice job. I was briefly thinking of doing something like this, but your mod list looks very similar to mine.

You might want to look at Procedural Parts because it is pretty awesome and has tech based size limitations built in. Also Universal Storage is a really cool mod too.

Edit- How necessary is KW? I ask because I use procedural parts for the SRB and fuel tank, procedural fairings for fairings and Near Future Construction provides all the nice adapters and such. So the only useful KW parts (for me) is the engines. So just curious how it would play out if I only had KW engines for instance.

Edited by Nori

i found an error maybe its related to this tree

ArgumentException: The thing you want to instantiate is null.

at UnityEngine.Object.CheckNullArgument (System.Object arg, System.String message) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate (UnityEngine.Object original) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RDNode.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)

UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)

UnityEngine.GameObject:.ctor(String, Type[])

TreeEdit.TreeLoader:AddNode()

TreeEdit.TreeLoader:LoadNodes(String)

TreeEdit.TreeLoader:Update()

at UnityEngine.Object.CheckNullArgument (System.Object arg, System.String message) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate (UnityEngine.Object original) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Did your game crash?

Technically Treeloader isn't "fully" compatible with 24.2, so errors are definitely possible.

What was happening when the crash occurred? And were you possibly running 64x?

no crash occurred it just threw nullref ...my debug console was opened and i just notice it while i was unlocking some nodes if you like i can post the whole output

Edited by dtoxic

Which nodes were you unlocking? I don't think this is something I can fix, but I'll check it out and see if there's anything different about the nodes that cause the nullref.

honestly i dont remeber witch nodes i was unlocking but i do know that i was unlocking 2 or 3 nodes witch require 45-75 science

-Edit

also there is a node experimental science visible from the start (i think at least or it becomes visible after unlocking a couple of nodes at the beginning) just a heads up maybe you wanna consider hiding it (the one that requires 1000 science)

Edited by dtoxic

also there is a node experimental science visible from the start (i think at least or it becomes visible after unlocking a couple of nodes at the beginning) just a heads up maybe you wanna consider hiding it (the one that requires 1000 science)

Sorry, I can't seem to recreate this error. I re-installed the tree on my test saves, and I tried it with and without mods that use that node. Did any arrows appear that led to it or was it just floating on its own?

Sorry, I can't seem to recreate this error. I re-installed the tree on my test saves, and I tried it with and without mods that use that node. Did any arrows appear that led to it or was it just floating on its own?

its just floating on its own ill upload a screenshot in a bit

Edit-

here is the screenshot and output data it seems that nullref is occuring when entering the building with the nodes maybe it's tree loaders fault? or maybe you have reached the node limit i think its 75 but i;am not shure

https://www.dropbox.com/s/clxiaypasu5gvci/KSP_Data.rar

Edited by dtoxic

It may be the mod that's adding the parts to that node. What mod is that? I don't know if this is possible, but maybe their default node dependency is overriding the tree since they are not in the tree file and you unlocked the nodes they were originally dependent on.

Ah, brilliant!

Personally I've always gone by the routine of clearing the stock tree and then adding the mods (due to the issues you mentioned about crowded nodes), but this seems like it would really help to alleviate that problem.

Too bad I already cleared the whole tree... ^^;

Dtoxic found a few issues with the tree. There are temporary fixes that should work for now and I'll probably update them when I have time. The download link is updated in the original post.

Edit- How necessary is KW? I ask because I use procedural parts for the SRB and fuel tank, procedural fairings for fairings and Near Future Construction provides all the nice adapters and such. So the only useful KW parts (for me) is the engines. So just curious how it would play out if I only had KW engines for instance.

Sorry, I somehow missed your edit. Without KW, the rocket nodes are pretty bare. If you have the engines though, it shouldn't be too bad since those won't be bare and those are the more expensive nodes.

Your mod is working great for me so far with 2 small caveats:

1- the positioning on at least one icon is different from what is displayed in the first post: (note the little jet engine icon thingy)

99C063D1EAC07C71D614359998D2DC09BC925D29

2 - and I can report that if I use locked mechjeb modules via the toolbar (a known exploit of MJ) the KSP map interface can return some truly bizarre effects. An example would be a return trajectory from the moon that insisted it was an escape trajectory from Kerbin and an ascent module which would control directionality and engine cutoff but not the throttle otherwise. Obviously the MJ issue is no fault of yours, but it seemed odd enough that I thought I'd pass it on. Once the MJ modules are unlocked legitimately they function as normal. Anyway, great mod, I will definitely be using this one. Thank you! :)

EDIT - FYI, the MJ exploit won't be an issue for long as the latest dev builds eliminate it apparently. That will be one less thing to worry about...

Edited by Sarayakat

Your mod is working great for me so far with 2 small caveats:

1- the positioning on at least one icon is different from what is displayed in the first post: (note the little jet engine icon thingy)

Yeah, that node got accidentally moved. It's fixed now. The new download has a better spaced out version of the tree. Nothing else has changed. If you prefer the old spacing, that's also in the download.

It looks like you've made decent progress on unlocking this tree. Are there any prices that you think should be adjusted?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.