Seadragon for 24.2 official release.

jackkymoon

This is the official release of my updated Sea dragon parts. In this version I tried to make somewhat relevant part costs but honestly the cost of fuel far outweighs the part costs. I also added some new fairings as well as a fairing mounting plate for payloads. The previous version of Sea dragon used 13.75 meter parts but I upped the scale to 15 meters to make it more realistic in Kerbal scale. The parts have similar stats since the last version but they have all been completely remodeled and re textured. The second stage pressure fed Mjolnir got increased thrust, as well as the vernier engines which are now more powerful than mainsails and look much better than the old ones IMO. The textures are a bit bad in some places and the collision meshes are rough on the engines, but I think this is a big improvement over the last version!

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Javascript is disabled. View full album

DROPBOX LINK

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cst2n4fiwycwq5u/AADax-KmbjGM0AzcIOdjS_4ca

To install simply open the Kerbal shipyards V2 folder and place smokescreen, MP_Nazari, and Seadragon2 folders in gamedata. That's it.

Thank you Nazari for hotrockets! If I couldn't make large FX for the engines I probably wouldn't have even bothered making this.

Edited by jackkymoon

The parts have the same names as the previous release, or at least some of them do...

I guess it's time to backup and see what falls out of the sky.

Edit: Nothing fell out of the sky, you can safely have the old and the v2 installed, woot, and thanks!

Edited by fathed

The parts have the same names as the previous release, or at least some of them do...

I guess it's time to backup and see what falls out of the sky.

Edit: Nothing fell out of the sky, you can safely have the old and the v2 installed, woot, and thanks!

So did your crafts get their parts replaced or how did that work? I didn't even think of the same names causing a problem.

As long as you put the new version in a folder called seadragonv2, or something like that, the old parts are still the old parts.

I assume if I tried to overwrite the original version, then I'd have issues, but just putting in a separate folder seems to allow both versions, I can even build a new rocket with parts from both versions now.

Fat mod! What do you think about to increase the Mjolnir's ISP? Mastodonte: (98t , 430 isp, 94000 trust) is better than the Mjolnir with (75t and 9800 trust 390 isp)
It was mostly guesswork really. I made the mastodon more efficient because the actual design specified a turbopump fed engine, while the upper stage (mjolnir) was to be a giant pressure fed design. Turbopumps are pretty much always more efficient, they are however much more complicated, expensive and have a ton of moving parts that can fail. The upper stage was designed for simplicity and safety I'm assuming, as there is no gimbal or complicated turbopumps to fail.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ok, I'm having a hard time attaching the vernier engines to the second stage. Any suggestions on how to get it right?

Use editor extensions mod to disable surface attachment.

A few suggestions for the mod author:

1. Enabling surface attachment for parts which are not supposed to be surface-attached (vernier engines, fairings) makes it harder to position them correctly while serving no clear purpose. I would suggest you disable it for these parts.

2. In KSP the strength of attachment nodes is derived from their size. Given how large your parts are, their attachment nodes should probably be much larger than they currently are.

3. It would be nice if the fairings decoupled to the sides instead of to the front.

Please don't take this criticism too hard, my intention here is to help improve this already very interesting mod. I like your models and the fact that you set out to model something interesting and new instead of creating the 47th Saturn V replica.

Keep up the good work :)