[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

ActiveStruts could be modified to handle fuel lines

If someone creates a model which looks like a fuel pipe docking has only to be enabled in the config, it's already in the plugin (but is as kraken friendly as in KAS, so I won't warp with it or dock multiple vessels, that's why I deactivated it by default).

If someone creates a model which looks like a fuel pipe docking has only to be enabled in the config, it's already in the plugin (but is as kraken friendly as in KAS, so I won't warp with it or dock multiple vessels, that's why I deactivated it by default).

You will have models this weekend.

You will have models this weekend.

Now I'm afraid, it had such a peaceful existence in the dev thread with nobody finding the bugs :D

No seriously, if I can help with testing/fixing something just ask!

Now I'm afraid, it had such a peaceful existence in the dev thread with nobody finding the bugs :D

No seriously, if I can help with testing/fixing something just ask!

Awesome :) If we can get ActiveStruts handling fuel lines and... erm... struts ;) And I can get Grabbystuff handling picking up and attaching things... and build some code to spawn stuff out of parts... we're covered.

Awesome :) If we can get ActiveStruts handling fuel lines and... erm... struts ;) And I can get Grabbystuff handling picking up and attaching things... and build some code to spawn stuff out of parts... we're covered.

Oh RoverDude, you are terribly overestimating my capabilities :blush:

Please be aware that AS is fully non-EVA (that was a design goal).

So if you want Kerbals doing stuff like in KAS (carrying the pipes or so) it would need to be optional (since not in the scope of the original plugin) and would take a lot of time (if I’m doing it myself since I’m working twice as much as your 30h in a light week as we discussed earlier (and I still envy you :mad:)) or someone helping me out with a pull request.

EDIT: I will do whatever I can of course, it just will take time!

Oh RoverDude, you are terribly overestimating my capabilities :blush:

Please be aware that AS is fully non-EVA (that was a design goal).

So if you want Kerbals doing stuff like in KAS (carrying the pipes or so) it would need to be optional (since not in the scope of the original plugin) and would take a lot of time (if I’m doing it myself since I’m working twice as much as your 30h in a light week as we discussed earlier (and I still envy you :mad:)) or someone helping me out with a pull request.

EDIT: I will do whatever I can of course, it just will take time!

Non EVA is fine :)

(Edit) Actually, non-EVA (just activate and connect) in a lot of ways may actually be preferable :P

Non EVA is fine

(Edit) Actually, non-EVA (just activate and connect) in a lot of ways may actually be preferable

Non-EVA would be infinitely preferable

Ahem, ok, cool :D

Then I'll try to improve the docking functionality (maybe enabling implicit instead of explicit docking parts) once the pipe stuff is ready.

There is a post how to create parts in the AS thread (and Zodius gracefully posted an even more useful one as well (which I linked there)).

But now I think I got enough attention in Rover's thread, so let us return to FTT :wink:

First test flight went well, although opening the cargo doors in orbit nearly threw my ship apart (the bays were empty), in fact it looked like it had fallen apart but when I closed them again everything went back together XD, and I managed to land it back at KSC (having never flown VTOL, or a space plane for that matter, in KSP before). I'm really excited about this mod!!

00000441.png

Edited by SP_S6
spelling error

Hey RoverDude, I'm working on a RO config for these parts and I've only run into one issue:

gsRBNQD.png

This is from all the engine nodes in the FTT_Structural_375_02.cfg being:

node_stack_eng_01 = -0.7, -.35, 0.7, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_eng_01 = -0.7, -.35, -0.7, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_eng_01 = 0.7, -.35, 0.7, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_eng_01 = 0.7, -.35, -0.7, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

Changing your cfg file to:

node_stack_eng_02 = -0.7, -.35, -0.7, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_eng_03 = 0.7, -.35, 0.7, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_eng_04 = 0.7, -.35, -0.7, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

fixes the issue. Would this change be a problem? Thanks!

RoverDude, would you submit to a Turing Test? I'm starting to think you're an evil AI trying to conquer the world. I haven't played KSP for a few weeks, decided to check the forum to see how my favorite mods are doing, and you not only keep coming with nice updates for most of yours, you also have a new one that's awesome.

I wish I had time to check it today. I will give it a try on the weekend, but it looks great.

First test flight went well, although opening the cargo doors in orbit nearly threw my ship apart (the bays were empty), in fact it looked like it had fallen apart but when I closed them again everything went back together XD, and I managed to land it back at KSC (having never flown VTOL, or a space plane for that matter, in KSP before). I'm really excited about this mod!!

http://content.screencast.com/users/SP_S6/folders/Jing/media/127e44c6-ba28-4564-8492-84bbf41bfe0a/00000441.png

Always leave space clear for the doors - they have colliders ;) you'll note that I do that in every config you see where I post a Honeybadger with the cargo bay.

Hey RoverDude, I'm working on a RO config for these parts and I've only run into one issue:

http://i.imgur.com/gsRBNQD.png

This is from all the engine nodes in the FTT_Structural_375_02.cfg being:

node_stack_eng_01 = -0.7, -.35, -0.7, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_eng_01 = 0.7, -.35, 0.7, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_eng_01 = 0.7, -.35, -0.7, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

Changing your cfg file to:

node_stack_eng_02 = -0.7, -.35, -0.7, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_eng_03 = 0.7, -.35, 0.7, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_eng_04 = 0.7, -.35, -0.7, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

fixes the issue. Would this change be a problem? Thanks!

Can you please do me a HUGE favor and either do a pull request or just paste that into a Github issues? Stuff gets lost on the forums

RoverDude, would you submit to a Turing Test? I'm starting to think you're an evil AI trying to conquer the world. I haven't played KSP for a few weeks, decided to check the forum to see how my favorite mods are doing, and you not only keep coming with nice updates for most of yours, you also have a new one that's awesome.

I wish I had time to check it today. I will give it a try on the weekend, but it looks great.

I spend more time playing with this mod than making new ones :P It's a fun one ;)

why not both? :D I sometimes swear at my kerbals, why they just cant unfold a antenna or something similar....

Cheap and cheerful for launch ;)

I'll start a grabbystuff thread once I have a bit more meat on it. But for fuel transfers, probably an ActiveStruts discussion - gotta make some models

My craft keep nosing down even when they are balanced perfectly. I even tried adding controls surfaces to the back.

I'm going to go play with FAR right now and report back (any excuse to play with a Honeybadger is a good one)

I'm going to go play with FAR right now and report back (any excuse to play with a Honeybadger is a good one)

SO yah... hard as hell with FAR... let me see if gimbaling the engines helps. It may be that FAR requires a much more gentle touch

SO yah... hard as hell with FAR... let me see if gimbaling the engines helps. It may be that FAR requires a much more gentle touch

I noticed that the COL on my craft was usually pointing down, on B9 VTOL's ive made the COL points up... Not sure if it makes a difference.

Yeah more gimballing would help, you don't get any tweakables on the VTOL turbofans either. And balance issues can easily be solved with Davon Throttle Control :D Such a handy mod :D

Yeah more gimballing would help, you don't get any tweakables on the VTOL turbofans either. And balance issues can easily be solved with Davon Throttle Control :D Such a handy mod :D

Yea I need to spend more time figuring out that mod.

Side note... the props now take about 725 EC/Second at peak power... it WILL drain that nuclear reactor at full thrust with four engines. Gimbals added, they also spin up faster. But using this in FAR is going to be a bear.

Looks like the radial landing leg is screwing with FAR CoL calculations not sure if they make a large change or just small enough that a craft with no wings is affected.

Also I added some larger rear control surfaces and now using 4 of the reactor wheel/rcs blocks with the RCS off. I got up to 100ms before I started loosing control again. The main thing is that if you try to point the craft to far out of your actual vector FAR will slap your hands. So vectoring engines in far is a must from the looks of it. Adding wings might help also.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.