[0.24.2] Interstellar Lite - Tweakscale Integration [v0.12.3][Sept 7]

WaveFunctionP

I can't seem to find an argon tank, for the life of me. Can someone either confirm I am blind, or that the argon tanks have been removed from Interstellar Lite?

No tank, although kspil is now compatible with argongas from nfp.

Resources will be receive a more comprehensive revamp in the next update.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was playing around with the various fuels to get a feel for potential PB-Ion engine alternatives.

Do you have any plans to use the firespitter texture switching function to declutter the parts list a bit by making tanks which can be swapped between various resources?

Do you have any plans to use the firespitter texture switching function to declutter the parts list a bit by making tanks which can be swapped between various resources?

I intend to add more support for fuel mods should the player wish for more customization. I'll let the fuel experts handle the fuels. Resource experts handle resources. Life support...yadayada.

At some point, the addon needs to be about a thing and then do that thing well. Identifying what that is for kspi is ambiguous a best. I've taken with the idea that is an introduction into more advanced logistics and mechanics, with the theme of advanced, unproven technology.

[...] I'll let the fuel experts handle the fuels. Resource experts handle resources. Life support...yadayada.

At some point, the addon needs to be about a thing and then do that thing well. [...] I've taken with the idea that is an introduction into more advanced logistics and mechanics, with the theme of advanced, unproven technology.

I support this. Specialization breeds excellence, and (as RoverDude has proven in this very thread) there are plenty of excellent modders out there doing things they are excellent at. KSPi has always been one among many in my mod list, and i look forward to seeing what laser (PUNS!) focus will do for it.

Details? Pics? A lot of times when this happens to me, I find I just need to attach a fuel line to the stack.

I thought I'd solved this problem when a new one came up.

MefEYV6.png

If you can't see the image, not only is the 'Switch mode' button not visible, there's no IntakeAtm listed in the resources panel.

This happened after I upgraded to the newest version.

Edited by optimusjamie

Does this work with old saves? also does it work with KAS?

It works fine alongside KAS but I don't believe it has any KAS-enabled functionality.

As for old saves, I believe it will work fine if your save does not include KSPI parts from previous releases though I don't know what that will do to your tech tree.

I thought I'd solved this problem when a new one came up.

http://i.imgur.com/MefEYV6.png

If you can't see the image, not only is the 'Switch mode' button not visible, there's no IntakeAtm listed in the resources panel.

This happened after I upgraded to the newest version.

Reinstalling the mod fixed, but I still can't get LFO mode to work. I haven't unlocked RAPIER engines or fusion power yet. Could that be the cause?

Maybe even action groupable triggers for this, and possibly specific fuel types?

This is something that would be nice, rather the "next fuel"/"last fuel", how about jump buttons "monoprop"/"LFO"/"LQD"/"QVP"? there might be issues with ORS/CRP versioning, as new resources are added or removed, but maybe the plugin could detect the right fuels and only present those buttons? i really don't know how this works, so speculation for everyone?

Maybe this only makes sense for action groups, but the ability to force all 5 thermal turbos into high thrust mode for the last push into orbit with an action group would be nice.

How exactly does the new pre-cooler work?

Tried all sorts and can't seem to stop my engines overheating at anything approaching SSTO speed.

I read somewhere that it might only work on in-line intake directly attached to it. If true this is extremely limiting, getting an SSTO to orbit usually requires radial intakes, or quite a lot of RAM scoops. . . . ALL of which require a cooler?

The spaceplane + mod comes with a lovely radial intake which certainly doesn't seem to benefit from being attached to a pre-cooler.

Perhaps try and fix this, especially as come the next version this mod will be part of the core game.

Edit: Did some testing, 2 pre-coolers, 4 RAM scoops attached (one on each end of the cooler), 1 Turbojet. Link to craft pic below

Got to ~30km up and 1650m/s (orbit) before engine exploded. That might JUST be good enough for an SSTO but a hideously inefficient one.

Either I'm using these coolers wrong or Turbojet based SSTO's are nerfed to hell and back

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/52111985871660592/9BAC16DEAD05839B6E2A6710674CAD1F8E7C1A5F/

Edited by Bishop149

How exactly does the new pre-cooler work?

Tried all sorts and can't seem to stop my engines overheating at anything approaching SSTO speed.

I read somewhere that it might only work on in-line intake directly attached to it. If true this is extremely limiting, getting an SSTO to orbit usually requires radial intakes, or quite a lot of RAM scoops. . . . ALL of which require a cooler?

The spaceplane + mod comes with a lovely radial intake which certainly doesn't seem to benefit from being attached to a pre-cooler.

Perhaps try and fix this, especially as come the next version this mod will be part of the core game.

Edit: Did some testing, 2 pre-coolers, 4 RAM scoops attached (one on each end of the cooler), 1 Turbojet. Link to craft pic below

Got to ~30km up and 1650m/s (orbit) before engine exploded. That might JUST be good enough for an SSTO but a hideously inefficient one.

Either I'm using these coolers wrong or Turbojet based SSTO's are nerfed to hell and back

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/52111985871660592/9BAC16DEAD05839B6E2A6710674CAD1F8E7C1A5F/

You're correct that the precooler cools only intakes that are stack-attached to the precooler, and you'll run into heating if you have any other intakes open.

Since 0.24, the stock part that Interstellar grabs for the precooler has had a built-in intake. Because the precooler module looks for a stack-attached intake, the built-in intake doesn't count as cooled. You will likely get better performance by closing it when you start to run into heating.

Edited by undercoveryankee

I intend to add more support for fuel mods should the player wish for more customization. I'll let the fuel experts handle the fuels. Resource experts handle resources. Life support...yadayada.

At some point, the addon needs to be about a thing and then do that thing well. Identifying what that is for kspi is ambiguous a best. I've taken with the idea that is an introduction into more advanced logistics and mechanics, with the theme of advanced, unproven technology.

For me, the appeal/function of KSPI has always been the near-future/probable/improbable-but-plausible propulsion and energy generation tools, plus their dependent resources. I enjoy KSP Vanilla for the "real-world" simulacra it represents, but I'm also a technological optimist. If KSPI would have used things like "genuine" warp drive, hyperdrive, impulse drive, etc. I probably wouldn't have found as fun as as it is now, due to its anchoring in real-world theory.

If it comes with other features, that's great! But I tend to rely on other mods for specific enhancements, such as:

RemoteTech2 for simulating real lag times and communications troubles (although once I hit an arbitrary science unlock, I usually change the signal delay to FALSE to simulate unlocking some bastardized version of QCC)

TAC for life support

FAR for some aerodynamics and the risk of it all falling apart on entry (I don't use DRE - not that hardcore yet)

Karbonite for in-situ resource gathering, but I limit myself to much later in the tech tree to keep some of the logistics challenging

MKS/OKS for cool looking habitats (although plenty of other mods exist to satisfy this)

KAS for resource transfer stuff and minor "repairs" to ships; aka. vital-things-I-forgot-to-put-on-the-capsule

Infernal Robotics for movable parts! VTOL fusion engines yay!

Fine Print for some actual fun things to do in Career mode

Stage Recovery for... recovering stages (I always run a clean space program, as best as can be managed)

...among others. (Damn you 64-bit instability!)

Make KSPI-lite what you will, but I've always enjoyed the plausible sci-fi aspect, and I hope it lives long.

Edited by Threadsinger
i good type english yes?

Is there a separate plugin file i could delete to stop the heat stuff?

There's only one plugin, but you can remove the ModuleManager patches that add the intake-heating modules to the non-Interstellar parts. Interstellar/rapier.cfg handles all of the stock parts and can be removed in full. b9aero.cfg includes code to add radiators to cargo bay doors in addition to adding heating to the SABRE engines, so if you use B9 you may want to cut some of the file and keep the rest.

That will take the intake-heating mechanic off your hands if you're using stock engines. The thermal turbojet has the precooler requirement hardcoded in the plugin, so you'll want to keep the precoolers around if you want thermal turbojets.

The need for radiators to run reactors and generators is non-negotiable without a major refactor of the plugin, and since it's a major part of how the reactors are balanced, there's not likely to be much interest in removing it.

Edited by undercoveryankee

There's only one plugin, but you can remove the ModuleManager patches that add the intake-heating modules to the non-Interstellar parts. Interstellar/rapier.cfg handles all of the stock parts and can be removed in full. b9aero.cfg includes code to add radiators to cargo bay doors in addition to adding heating to the SABRE engines, so if you use B9 you may want to cut some of the file and keep the rest.

I'm fairly sure from his post that he is talking about the wasteheat mechanic for solar panels as he said "not the heat and stuff with radiators". I don't think that can be removed.

Yeah that's what i mean. I just want to use the beamed power mechanic and not have all the extra stuff

Edit: looking in the config file for the pack there are these options:

ThermalMechanicsDisabled = False

RadiatorEmissiveGlowDisabled = False

I think the top one is what im talking about, but i don't know what the bottom one is

Yeah that's what i mean. I just want to use the beamed power mechanic and not have all the extra stuff

Edit: looking in the config file for the pack there are these options:

ThermalMechanicsDisabled = False

RadiatorEmissiveGlowDisabled = False

I think the top one is what im talking about, but i don't know what the bottom one is

Let us know if it works for you.

The bottom one is likely to disable the glow of the radiators when they are heating up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.