[0.24.2] EvaFuel [0.0.1]

Vendan

EvaFuel is a simple mod that makes your spacewalks use monopropellant. It's really just designed for when you are playing on "hard mode", or just want to be realistic about spacewalks.

Fuel in the pod:

AHztf1Cg-avV.png

Fuel on the Kerbal:

9W2ICXYa1ktC.png

No fuel left in the pod(the kerbal has it all):

_BSC3Up6VbvT.png

Download is on KerbalStuff

License is MIT, and included in the download.

Source is https://github.com/andyleap/EvaFuel

Wait... Isn't this already a thing? They just rename the resource to EVAFuel and call it good? Hence why all the pods have monoprop now? I'm confuzzed.

They added monoprop to pods, but EVA's didn't take any out of the pod, cause they thought it made the game less fun. That's arguably true, but it's a personal preference thing, therefore I made this. (Note, it's not even my preference, people just requested it)

OMG, yes!

All that's left now is to reduce the Isp of the EVA thrusters ;)

Any idea what to reduce it to? Also thinking I might reduce thrust a little too

Is the remaining EVA Propellant converted back into MonoPropellant when the Kerbal re-enters the craft?

Yeap, it all goes back in!(minus what you used)

Any idea what to reduce it to? Also thinking I might reduce thrust a little too

Well I think that the Isp is hard coded, but my first idea was to simply edit the resource config and give EVA fuel the same density as monoprop. That would lower the dV you can get out of a suit, but I don't know how much. Currently it's around 600 m/s.

This is a great idea.

One issue: When I unzip the downloaded file on a Mac, I get the plugin as a file with this name: "EvaFuel\EvaFuel.dll" instead of an EVAFuel folder with EvaFuel.dll in it.

hrm, sounds like broken zip handling. Think I know what the problem is, and I'll get it fixed, though you really aren't missing much, should be able to just rename it to EvaFuel.dll. Only other thing in there is a license, and that's up on github if you really want to look at it.(it's just MIT licensed)

hrm, sounds like broken zip handling. Think I know what the problem is, and I'll get it fixed, though you really aren't missing much, should be able to just rename it to EvaFuel.dll. Only other thing in there is a license, and that's up on github if you really want to look at it.(it's just MIT licensed)

same on Linux got a file EvaFuel-0.0.1 and in it EvaFuel\EvaFuel.dll and the EvaFuel\LICENSE file.

Yeah, I got the same her, Linux. Just unzipped the two files and they formed a folder, didn't think more of it.

I've got a working MM patch, it adds density and cost to EVA propellant equal to that of monoprop.

{
@density = 0.004
@unitCost = 1.2
@isTweakable = true
}
@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[EVA*]

Doesn't feel as it has any real impact on gameplay, but still.

They added monoprop to pods, but EVA's didn't take any out of the pod, cause they thought it made the game less fun. That's arguably true, but it's a personal preference thing, therefore I made this. (Note, it's not even my preference, people just requested it)

I saw a direct quote from HarvesteR that adding the mass to kerbals caused problems, but I've seen mods do similar things (BTSM, ECLSS) and they don't have any problems, so he must have made some sort of mistake, or some sort of derp.. Plus the 'not fun' was because of the old RCS flow, which is now different.

otherwise the added weight would make Kerbals unable to walk properly (just those 5 units of mono was several times heavier than they are themselves).

5 units monoprop = 5/250 = 0.02t or 20kg. 1 EVA Kerbal = 92kg. Several times?

It's very nice to have this as a standalone mod though, thank you!

Well I think that the Isp is hard coded, but my first idea was to simply edit the resource config and give EVA fuel the same density as monoprop. That would lower the dV you can get out of a suit, but I don't know how much. Currently it's around 600 m/s.

My latest calculations were about 624 m/sec for stock EVA activity..it's not real delta-v though as it's some bizarre massless reaction so the calculation was basically 195 seconds * 3.20 accel = 624m/sec.

I've noticed that mods that add mass to kerbals don't seem to affect the acceleration for some reason, increasing the mass may not be sufficient on it's own. Reducing the monoprop they carry would probably address that (if they only carried 1 unit, they'd have 124.8m/sec), plus also would extend the number of EVAs they could perform from a capsule's built in tank...

I'd love to see the thrust reduced as well, but not sure if that can be done...

Doubt it would, as the game is already fudging stuff for the eva. Also, zip is fixed

Edited by Vendan
got ninja'd by Renegrade

So far working fine for me. Much appreciated effort (and quick response), and a great mod. Please do not abandon it (I mean updates for new versions - I doubt there could be too many bugs here :)), just in case Squad keep dragging their feet on implementing this in the game (yeah, "get out and push" - the ultimate solution for interplanetary travel :huh:).

Yeah, I got the same her, Linux. Just unzipped the two files and they formed a folder, didn't think more of it.

I've got a working MM patch, it adds density and cost to EVA propellant equal to that of monoprop.

{
@density = 0.004
@unitCost = 1.2
@isTweakable = true
}
@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[EVA*]

Sorry for nitpicking but I would suggest using "EVA?Propellant" as key in case they add even more EVA resources (or another mod does, who knows) so the patch only affects what it should.

• 4 weeks later...