[1.1] AFBW v1.7-beta (Joystick & controller mod)

nlight

First of all, thank you for this mod - I can finally play KSP using Logitech G940 :-)

I've noticed one thing - If I make a craft with two crewed command pods, detach part of the craft with one of the pods, and switch to it using brackets, then both pods (on two now separate crafts) react to controller input. This stops after I quicksave and quickload - then only the active vessel reacts. I'm not using any mods like Burn Together that would replicate input by design.

I also have the problem where controlling the EVA Kerbal is impossible, until I disable input from all controllers (joystick and throttle in my case).

I'm running Windows 0.90 x86 version.

Edited by Gowor

Awesome mod! It actually made me dust off the old Thrustmaster Cougar and buy a set of rudder pedals!

Sadly I dont think my FCC3 modded Cougar would go well with KSP... actually, I KNOW it doesnt, for some reason if its plugged in, I cant assign any inputs using AFBW. Pulled out my old x52 and Im gonna give it a shot tonight :)

Good afternoon, big TY for this mod. I'm having a problem with version 1.4.2. Full Throttle and Cut Off Throttle bindings put my throttle back to 50%, Increments through Left/Right trigger seem unsensitive;

swithing to a piece of debris after crash seems to fix this.

I'm using a dualshock 3 via bluetooth dongle.

I use the xbox360 pad driver with this: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller.

This behaviour does not occur with build 1.4.1. I don't know is this will be usefull, but I thought I would share.:)

Edit: I used face buttons for incremental throttle and now use triggers for Yaw. I left incremental sensitivity at default 0.05 and seems to work well enough. Thanks for your reply obj, I'm ready to go!

Edited by rogvivi
Found workaround

Increments through Left/Right trigger seem unsensitive;

If you have throttle increment/decrement bound to an axis, that's probably indirectly my fault (see this commit) as that action is now scaled by the frame delta time so that it's independent of framerate. Try increasing the incremental action sensitivity setting to compensate for the scaling there until you get a setting that feels right.

a little setup info...

Windows 8.1

KSP .90 Beta

AFBW v1.4

Xbox One Controller

Ok... First off(kinda, not including the setup info)

This mod is sweet! Being able to in-game edit key bindings is where it's at!

Issue #1

This one is simple and not really an issue but I just want to point it out because I didn't see it mentioned otherwise. If you used a controller and set up binds on stock KSP settings and then install this mod and use the mods interface to program the bind for the same button and same action you will get potentially undesired effects. For example, I recognized this because I set the back button on the controller to Toggle SAS originally in the stock settings and then in the mods interface. This would result in it basically ignoring my input because it may have carried out the function through both of the binds for the action. This isn't a big deal because the mod's OP does state it doesn't override or interfere with the existing setup. My solution was to clear controller button and axes in the stock settings menu and kept the binds exclusively in the mod's interface.

Issue #2

This one is slightly more of a pain simply because I couldn't come up with an idea for the cause of it. The cut-throttle bind option sets my throttle at 50%. I have it assigned to a B button press on the controller through the mods interface. I then took off the bind in the mod and went back to the stock KSP settings and set up the throttle cut-off to the controller B button. This worked properly and reduced the throttle immediately to 0% on button press. (edit: No it actually didn't but it never happened before I had the mod but having throttle cut off bound exclusively in the stock settings does not work reliably either. Before launch throttle cut-off was working but then later in flight was mostly unresponsive or would rarely set throttle to 50%.)

Sorry if any of this was addressed already, I quickly looked through a few of the threads pages and didn't see anything about it.

Otherwise Thanks to the creator. This mod is extremely useful and the interface makes setting up binds very simple. Well done!

Edited by SirAtomBrysicle
Tried a couple more things to test out the feel of my setup.

Love this mod man keep up the good work! Two things to mention.

Good afternoon, big TY for this mod. I'm having a problem with version 1.4.2. Full Throttle and Cut Off Throttle bindings put my throttle back to 50%
This one is slightly more of a pain simply because I couldn't come up with an idea for the cause of it. The cut-throttle bind option sets my throttle at 50%.

1) I had the same issue as others using the cut throttle command setting my throttle to 50% not zero. I found that the button actually resets my throttle to whatever the keyboard set the throttle to last. Because stock KSP now sets the throttle to 50% at take-off, pressing the "cut throttle" button on my controller sets it to that, 50%. I found an easy fix was simply to lower my throttle to zero using the keyboard before I took off. I simply press the "x" key on my keyboard and then the controller "cut throttle" button performs as expected.

2) This one is a little more serious. Whenever the GUI is open, my memory usage continues to increase until the game crashes. I noticed this because I flew with the presets GUI open for a while so I would not forget the controls I had mapped. The game crashed a couple of times due to over memory, and I'm fairly certain I've traced it down to the GUI being open. I re-tested it on a vanilla KSP+AFBW and got the same problem. Here are my specs:

Windows 7 64-bit

8 GB of RAM

KSP 0.90 -force-opengl

Xbox 360 Controller

AFBW v1.4 installed via CKAN

Output_Log.txt

Steps to recreate:

Load a craft

Allow memory to stabilize

Open GUI interface from toolbar

When I do this I can watch the memory usage for KSP increase in windows Resource Monitor. Closing the GUI immediately stops the memory increase, but it does not return it to pre-GUI memory (i.e. each time I open the GUI KSP utilizes slightly more memory). Re-opening the GUI again causes the memory to increase until it is closed again. Thus, I have a limited number of times to open the GUI before I crash KSP.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.

I have also noticed the presets disappearing. I will try to re-create. Also will watch for memory usage.

Question though, thinking about buying something more suited to ksp then an xbox controller, thinking about the x55 rhino. Does this mod support having multiple controllers connected to the computer and using the same axis names as each other? Not sure if the x55 does that or not, but I thought I read about that and ksp somewhere to do with separated controllers.

Was wondering if anyone was having issues moving around in EVA after installing this mod. Specifically walking around (Rather than flying in space).

Edit: Just uninstalled and was able to walk around just fine. So it seems the issue is that I dont know how to set EVA walking controls. Anyone have experience with this?

Edited by TwUnix

Was wondering if anyone was having issues moving around in EVA after installing this mod. Specifically walking around (Rather than flying in space).

Edit: Just uninstalled and was able to walk around just fine. So it seems the issue is that I dont know how to set EVA walking controls. Anyone have experience with this?

I have the same issue, but I just disable my xbox-controller when I want to walk and just use WASD as usual. As an altarnative you can map "always run" to your controller and steer with the view-axis and just press "always run" again to stop.

As another guy mentioned I also have problems with Full/Cut Throttle. Wether I press Y or B it always goes to the last keyboard pressed command. IE if I press X on my keyboard and then use the triggers to adjust throttle I can press B or Y on xbox-controller to cut throttle. If I press Z on keyboard and then throttle down, then it will give full throttle if Y/B is pressed on my controller.

But apart from those to things, I am so happy I found this mod, becasue setting up my controller via the stock settings system was a real pain in the you-know-what.

Version 1.4.3 is up which should fix the throttle bug and some other bugs, hopefully it also solves the EVA issues which I've been unable to reproduce.

I'm still looking into the other issues, thanks for the patience, guys :)

Edited by nlight

I just downloaded 1.4.3 (manually - CKAN gave me "failed to connect to repository" error).

EVA bug is still there. Here's my test procedure :-)

-Launch a mk1 inline cockpit-decoupler-second mk1 cockipt, both crewed.

-Check if the cockpit reacts to roll input (yep)

-Decouple

-Check input - only the active cockpit reacts to input

-Switch to the other one using brackets - now both cockpits react to input identically.

-Go on EVA. Now while on the ladder, the Kerbal was OK (normally he would immediately run up or down), and would react to WSAD. After going on the ground, he started walking to the side. If I moved the controller, the Kerbal wouldn't react, but the cockpit that he just left did react.

It looks to me like the EVA Kerbal gets the input like one axis of the controller was locked at 100% instead of how it really is.

If it helps, I'm using Logitech G940, which is recognized by AFBW as two controllers (throttle and stick). I have throttle + Z translation on the G940 throttle, yaw, pitch, roll, and X and Y translation on the stick.

I don't know if you have two controllers, but AFBW recognizes a ppjoy virtual joystick (which I'm not using at the moment), so if you need to, you can emulate them that way :-)

Version 1.4.4 is up, thanks to Gowor's amazing feedback I think the EVA bug should be gone for good now, also I fixed the time-warp issues reported a few posts back :)

What do I need to do to get AFBW to detect my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick? It isn't showing up...

Could you follow the steps on reporting bugs in the main post so I can investigate?

Edited by nlight

It looks like the bug with separate cockpits reacting to input is gone :-)

The EVA bug is still there though - but I think it's related to X-Y translation. I can control the EVA Kerbal to some degree, using those axes - but if I completely disable them in the preset, he stays in place. However, I can't control the Kerbal at all then, unless I disable the joystick in AFBW window.

As of yet I have not been able to get it to detect my Logitech Extreme 3d Pro either. It also didn't detect my previous joystick (which was a QZ 501 Predator)

Info:

Ksp 0.90.0 x86

output_log.txt: Too large for pastebin

.xml file: http://pastebin.com/iy6JhhY3

Mod Version; 1.4.4 from Kerbalstuff

Controller: Logitech Extreme 3d Pro

Edited by Vectura

As of yet I have not been able to get it to detect my Logitech Extreme 3d Pro either. It also didn't detect my previous joystick (which was a QZ 501 Predator)

Info:

Ksp 0.90.0 x86

output_log.txt: Too large for pastebin

.xml file: http://pastebin.com/iy6JhhY3

Mod Version; 1.4.4 from Kerbalstuff

Controller: Logitech Extreme 3d Pro

Thanks for the info, any chance you're running windows 8?

I have verified that Windows 8 and SDL don't want to play together so that's why you're not seeing your controllers. DirectX11 backend is in the works so stay tuned.

Edited by nlight

The first issue is easily solvable and will most likely appear in one of the next versions, the second will require quite a bit of changes to AFBW's code, but I really want this to happen sooner or later so I guess expect it as well.

Thanks nlight! Keep up the awesome work!

Sadly I dont think my FCC3 modded Cougar would go well with KSP... actually, I KNOW it doesnt, for some reason if its plugged in, I cant assign any inputs using AFBW. Pulled out my old x52 and Im gonna give it a shot tonight

You'd think that a X and Y axis would just register as such, modded or not. Can't you see any axis moving when you're in the configuration menu of the stick?