Good news everyone! KSP enters Beta version. What you like the most, what you don't?

Sky_walker

Ok, so now that we pretty much know what's going to be in version 1.0 - share what you like and what you don't.

• New aerodynamics
  • Deep Space Refueling - after denying it for months - finally it arrives! Some proper end-game content, a reason to build planetside bases, whole universe of possibilities...
  • Multiplayer pushed after 1.0

Dislike

• Well, they basically announced 2 features, and... that's all. I was sort of expecting bigger announcement for that huge "1.0 post" that was mentioned on twitter earlier on, came out it's huge mostly because of explaining things that were already explained (don't get me wrong though - it's very good that devs wrote down Q&A and this whole detailed explanation of what's going to happen)

Cautious

• For me deadly reentry was always part of a proper aerodynamics modelling. But I know relatively few people share my point of view, so I'm most curious if developers decided to include deadly reentry in the change of aerodynamics or not. I hope so...
  • Life support.... still hard to tell if it'll be in or not. Nearly every mod treated it as a resource, so it'd make perfect logical sense to include it while implementing Deep Space Refueling (you refuel your spacecraft and you refuel your crew ;) ).

Edited by Sky_walker

they announce new aero and some sort of fuel system, and "that's all"? lets be serious those are big changes.

but that said.....I'm also predicting a december release, and a celebratory NEW PLANET. I believe december marks 2 years since Eeloo.

they announce new aero and some sort of fuel system, and "that's all"? lets be serious those are big changes.

but that said.....I'm also predicting a december release, and a celebratory NEW PLANET. I believe december marks 2 years since Eeloo.

It's just because we've had these things for like 18months+; if we didn't have mods for them we'd be jumping around throwing parties.

I bet that are not going to be much more content. After the bugs are cleaned and everything working well, expect to start spending money on DLC's to add more stuff and content to the game.

I hate DLC's. Everyone in the gaming industry are starting to annoy me, they release "finished" games, then after 1 month you get a a lot of DLC's.

If this will be the case, then I hope Squad, instead of getting the Steam DLC system, open a online shop at their site. I prefer to buy from them, then from steam.

I bet that are not going to be much more content. After the bugs are cleaned and everything working well, expect to start spending money on DLC's to add more stuff and content to the game.

I hate DLC's. Everyone in the gaming industry are starting to annoy me, they release "finished" games, then after 1 month you get a a lot of DLC's.

If this will be the case, then I hope Squad, instead of getting the Steam DLC system, open a online shop at their site. I prefer to buy from them, then from steam.

If you bought the game before ~ may 2013 (ish) you get all DLC for free - however they've just said they've got a lot planned before the 1.0 release, so don't be worried.

OH AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, COMPLETE BIOMES EVERYWHERE! Im hoping for clever/funny fluff text

DUNA ICE CAP SNOCONES FINALLY!

yeah, not very exciting because: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66256

I'm hoping for Mun-like art passes on all the other bodies.

Also another detail level of the terrain. Right now, the ground is just a low res flat surface with identical rocks, scattered around 100m apart.

Something more like in TakeOn Mars

More graphical snazz like Space Engine. That "game" set the graphics bar quite high and I think KSP could at least try to reach for it a bit.

More tools for interplanetary travel. Just go look at the Twitch streams right NOW: http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Kerbal%20Space%20Program.

I guarantee you that you'll only see the VAB/SHP, Kerbin, Mun or Minmus in the thumbnails. People seem terrified to go anywhere else and it's because they're not using the right mods/tools (e.g. http://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/). And it's a real shame.

Edited by Smorfty

@Sky_walker: you linked the 0.26 devnotes thread, I think you meant this one: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96968-Beta-Than-Ever-The-Future-of-KSP

Otherwise, I am happy where the Beta is heading. Simplifying refueling is a good thing. I think they will skip the "harvested resource part" and let a drill (or whatever) directly gather a LF/O mix via "negative fuel burning". The question then is where this works and how you find the spots.

Multiplayer after 1.0: this will take a while but this is the major feature I am looking for. Hope they get it right. Beside the science and blowing up stuff the "coop" play is what I am enjoying in games.

Aerodynamics - yay! :)

I am looking forward to the new content, I hope that they aim for building several KSCs, upgrading them, maybe also on different planets.

Everything else gonna be filled in by mods. I have no doubts that we have good times ahead (not that they were bad in the recent past).

So Resources will now be included, and for v1 no less, but Multiplayer will be post v1! Wow... i don't have a problem about this, but it's a complete reversal in one announcement. Last time we heard of these two features, Resources was to be in v1 but was shelved (probably never to return), and Multiplayer was announced to be (in my understanding) added by v1.

Looking forward to more Content... please please please more planets. I need something new to crash into.

Will be interesting to see how the aero overhaul will go. Sounds tricky. I seem to be in the minority in thinking that the current aero model is fine (as in fine enough for a game, it obviously has issues).

Its a pain. I mod skyrim only because steam makes it super easy. all my ksp mods are for .22, they just kept working. plus for the most part I want to play the game squad released. the better to give feedback for the early access program.

I like new aerodynamics, however I am not sure if I have to still use FAR, if they fear that too much realism would repel not so technically oriented customers. They did not specify what kind of contents they mean. I hope and believe that there will be many interested things, however it is clear that not everything I want. It would also be great that when the game is officially ready, updates will be smaller and hopefully do not break most mods every time. Probably then also mods develop to more stable direction.

I do like and not like resources. I tried Kethane mod, but it was both, intersting and small disappointment. Of course it was fun to explore planets and build Kethane mining units and refineries, but there is not much use for easy and unlimited fuel resource in KSP. I like more to simulate stage in which humans are now or near future, when we need huge rockets and very careful trajectory planning. Best parts of KSP are trajectroy planning and building of monstrous launchers so that they keep in one peace during ascent (hey, is there joint weakening mod?). If game focus changes to economic optimization, it will be boring to me. And on the other hand, full scale space resource management game would need so many new things to do that it is probably unrealistic idea. But I am interested to see what kind of implementation Squad choose, so, I wait more good than bad.

Strange number. There is no need to bump version to something with nine just because they enter beta. :-O

It's brilliant, if only to shut up the people who keep going: "we're only at 0.25! 25 more years until we hit 1.0! anuther exampel of early acesss being ....! lolololol", because they don't get version numbering.

Anyway, the reasoning for 0.90 has been given. It's to give that feeling that we're entering a new phase and that we're close.

Edited by KasperVld
be nice

Strange number. There is no need to bump version to something with nine just because they enter beta. :-O

Microsoft spoiled them ;)

@Hannu

I'm with you about resources, what I hope is that it will require some sort of infastructure construction in order to be viable, instead of the one ship miner/converters that you can make with kethane.

I very much doubt it'll be something more than just a few parts here and there to "mine".

What you propose would require them to write a whole large feature into the game - construction - which I find to be very unlikely considering their push for Beta and the objective of resources - spacecraft refuelling.

I'd be super-happy if they'd at least include proper scanning satellites - yea, I know, it'd be too wonderful to integrate SCANSat, but even a single scanning radar part giving you a single display of what's underneath would something.... (but, gash, it'd be so amazing to have something like SCANSat in the stock game - an actual reason to build satellites in sandbox mode).

Edited by Sky_walker

Ok it really annoys me when people dismiss Squads features as useless as its already been done in a mod!

They have a point. Not wanted to be too much of a ....... lol, and consider the Squad is making a great game, but when they add stuff to the game that the modding community already invented, they are not developing anything new, they are copy the mods, make some tweaks and voila, you got new stuff into the game that is around for along time already.

Look at the resource system the community created? It's a great thing, mods like life support for example, something that should be in the game from the start, people made a mod to make it more realistic. Mods, like MKS, KAS, hell even Mechjeb in some fashion should be in the game.

What I really want, is better graphics, more cool textures for the stock parts, a sense of progression in career mode,etc. I like what they said about Kerbals, adding experience and so on that will affect ship performance. Getting Kerbals more serious instead of treating them like clowns is a good thing, giving them abilities in a "level up mode due to xp" would be great.

And of course, fix all the bugs and redesign the awful instrumentation to fly in space. A nav ball just do not cut it.

They have a point. Not wanted to be too much of a ....... lol, and consider the Squad is making a great game, but when they add stuff to the game that the modding community already invented, they are not developing anything new, they are copy the mods, make some tweaks and voila, you got new stuff into the game that is around for along time already.

Come on, that's just silly.

Noone is "copying" mods.

Get some perspective and look how many people are develop mods and how many people work in the development studio. And Squad needs to follow a very specific course of action to release a complete game at some point in time - modders can do whatever they find amusing, so it's natural that sooner or later they'll create a mod for pretty much everything - and that's the point that KSP reached. There's a mod for pretty much everything.

I don't see any reason for developers to limit themselves or choose an objectives based on whatever there is a mod doing something or not. Cause right now "there's a mod" is pretty much the most common response you can see in threads.

By that logic - devs should just rage-quit the game and leave it all to the modders. Cause [snip]- everything was already done by modders.

IMHO every game should strive to provide full, satisfying experience out of the box.

KSP currently doesn't - despite of being advertised as a game having "Fully-fledged, Physics-based Flight Simulation" - it doesn't have one. And there's pretty much no end-game content. Devs announced two features that aim to fix both of these major problems. To what extend? We don't know. But there's absolutely no reason to complain that they're "copying mods" - what they're trying to provide is a fully-fledged game and IMHO there's nothing wrong with that.

Stock players are a huge portion of the community, whatever you like it or not, heck - if KSP is like every other game out there: they're the majority, so SQUAD should carter to them regardless if people think that "they're copying mods" or not.

@Sky_walker: you linked the 0.26 devnotes thread, I think you meant this one: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96968-Beta-Than-Ever-The-Future-of-KSP

Fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Multiplayer after 1.0: this will take a while but this is the major feature I am looking for. Hope they get it right. Beside the science and blowing up stuff the "coop" play is what I am enjoying in games.

I like coop in a games too, often it's the part I enjoy most, but KSP is not a good game for coop. It's quite an opposite - a perfect example of a game where cooperation is not only borderline useless but also more of a distracting obstacle in doing the great things than anything else (Though I'm sure people will find some weird obscure uses for a multiplayer, as they do for every feature regardless how useless it is).

Edited by Vanamonde
Language.

Look at the resource system the community created? It's a great thing, mods like life support for example, something that should be in the game from the start, people made a mod to make it more realistic. Mods, like MKS, KAS, hell even Mechjeb in some fashion should be in the game.

What I really want, is better graphics, more cool textures for the stock parts, a sense of progression in career mode,etc. I like what they said about Kerbals, adding experience and so on that will affect ship performance. Getting Kerbals more serious instead of treating them like clowns is a good thing, giving them abilities in a "level up mode due to xp" would be great.

And of course, fix all the bugs and redesign the awful instrumentation to fly in space. A nav ball just do not cut it.

These kind of assumptions are really, really annoying. Not only do you by your post assume how everybody, or at least the majority wants to play the game, you also dictate how they in any case should. I'm not even gonna pick out examples from your post, all you really need to do is re-read it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.