[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

I'd have to agree on that some, it does look a bit too chubby for an SSTO, Using J cockpits and adapters to streamline the shape kind of overcomes that. The K cockpit I see credible for a conventional Transport or a booster launched orbiter lander lifting body, where the design is intended to lose speed, like the Space shuttles. I do know that aircraft designers use cylinders for a reason, a pressurized cylinder is easier to reinforce and therefore lighter than any other shape, as well it is less prone to metal fatigue from constant expansion and contraction, so there is some sense to the curved shapes. As for the behavior of the collision meshes, ideally what you say should be true, however these are custom parts that have been known to have odd behavior specific to collisions, so who can say? It would be a worthy experiment and I certainly hope that whoever tries makes a video of the attempt.

Just realized something. Might asking a bit much, but can we get a K-Cargo Ramp WITH the MK2 mounting points on it (like the J-K Adaptors?) It would make getting engines onto a ramp-equipped K-Cargo Carrier a bit easier.

Uh, yeah, that's exactly what he did in the Experimental release, v1.8. :) You haven't tried it yet?

Uh, yeah, that's exactly what he did in the Experimental release, v1.8. :) You haven't tried it yet?

LoL.

No. I had a 1.7 era vessel in flight, so I couldn't swap the mod pack. 1.7 and 1.8 aren't supposed to used together, so I didn't try that either. Thanks for the heads up. I feel dumb now :P

The K parts are just way too different in 1.8 now so even if you just wanted just the tail it wouldn't look right even if you could get it to work.

Well I tried to build a Valkyrie with the 1.8 parts, it just doesn't look as good IMHO, the old cockpit and it's adapter had lines that flowed together, the new one just going to a J interface doesn't work as good. The new K cockpit is much better than the duck billed platypus version but I still maintain that that kind of cockpit needs to be much longer for the girth. This begs the question, is there an arbitrary length limitation on cockpits?

Linear aerospike should have gimbaling.

The precedent for that is that IRL the linear aerospike would have independently throttleable motors along its upper and lower surfaces. Pitching would be throttling the upper or lower and yawing by throttling the left/right sets of motors. (not sure if the prototype had this capability but it was planned in the final version for the Venture Star)

Rolling would require multiple thrust vectors if the part doesn't already have them. (probably should have an odd number, with one dead center for stability)

I know B9 had the F119's, but I think those required a plugin to restrict the gimballing to a single plane axis.

Correct, single-axis gimbaling requires using the Klokheed Martian gimbal module rather than the stock one

Hi, I seem to have an issue with my ships hitting the runway and flying apart when using this mods parts. Any insight on how to make that not happen?
Avoid part clipping(sticking one part through another), especially in areas near an animation point like a cargo door or ramp, these parts really don't react well to it, and wherever possible use struts to re-enforce your connections.

Do you have MK4 spaceplane installed? That has a config that forces everything else to act as if FAR is installed. No idea why, there is a fix CFG somewhere in the MK4 thread. Not sure if that is your issue but it sounds exactly the same as the wing lift issue I had from installing Mk4 mod.

Do you have MK4 spaceplane installed? That has a config that forces everything else to act as if FAR is installed. No idea why, there is a fix CFG somewhere in the MK4 thread. Not sure if that is your issue but it sounds exactly the same as the wing lift issue I had from installing Mk4 mod.

I do in fact.

Bugger. I quite like that mod.

Well my first impression: AWESOME MOD!

My second impression: AWESOME MOD!

My third impression: AWESOME MOD!

http://i.imgur.com/6UManMZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/Cieml9T.png

OPT Jumpstar Download: http://www./download/lj32s0p88i8s7vx/Jumpstar.craft

Not sure how to use it. It really goes.

That's a really cool looking ship, dude! :D But I see what you mean about not really being able to use it for anything. For one thing, you won't be able to get any Kerbals out of it, the way the wings are covering the hatches like that. :)

That's a really cool looking ship, dude! :D But I see what you mean about not really being able to use it for anything. For one thing, you won't be able to get any Kerbals out of it, the way the wings are covering the hatches like that. :)
Clip a mk1 command pod at the top to act as an "airlock." Worked like a charm. :) Craft now capable of 80km orbit and return.