[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

2 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Well I don't know either programming or writing .configs, so hopefully I can learn both. Well, I can edit a .cfg file, but I don't know how to write one.

:cool:You, sir, got me GOOD!

One thing to remember is that certain things are case sensitive. I'm going over these Stail configs and there's some places where that's becoming an issue. (the other issue is that the animation names themselves are wrong so I had to write a small plugin to retrieve the animation names out of the models)

1 minute ago, stali79 said:

I didnt touch the animation names... at least i dont think i did.

maybe they were always like that. I'm getting a weird return on one of the animation names and it can't possibly be right... the tail apparently has two animations and one of them is coming back as OPT/Parts/Stail/OPT_bf_6m_tail... I'm going to try plugging it in anyway but if that works then it's pretty bizarre.

Just now, Starwaster said:

maybe they were always like that. I'm getting a weird return on one of the animation names and it can't possibly be right... the tail apparently has two animations and one of them is coming back as OPT/Parts/Stail/OPT_bf_6m_tail... I'm going to try plugging it in anyway but if that works then it's pretty bizarre.

Yeah the freight tail had one animation to open the tail/ramp and the other for a tail leg strut thingy

4 hours ago, Starwaster said:

the other issue is that the animation names themselves are wrong so I had to write a small plugin to retrieve the animation names out of the models)

Oooo... Any chance you could please share?... I'm having a huge issue with animation names in a bunch of ZZZ's models I'm messing around with...

@stali79 Could you send me the link?... MAYBE I can FINALLY provide some actual help with patches... :P

I ended up taking a break from working on stuff... Had hit a bunch of walls, and was getting a bit discouraged with modelling... :P

Edited by Stone Blue

6 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Oooo... Any chance you could please share?... I'm having a huge issue with animation names in a bunch of ZZZ's models I'm messing around with...

@stali79 Could you send me the link?... MAYBE I can FINALLY provide some actual help with patches... :P

I ended up taking a break from working on stuff... Had hit a bunch of walls, and was getting a bit discouraged with modelling... :P

you have had the link for days dude :P

13 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Can't yet.  It was late I cobbled that together and I forgot that the function I was using is returning something different than the animation name...

After some sleep and coffee I remembered how that works. Gotta figure something else out.

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Ok here you go. Just stick a MODULE named ModuleFindAnimations in any part you want to grab the animation names from (actually grabs the default clip name from each animator which is the same as what gets passed in animationName for just about anything in KSP that uses animations.

CAVEAT: It's supposed to reveal ALL animations but it's missing in some cases. I suspect because what I'm thinking are separate animations are actually separate clips on the same animation and I'm only grabbing the default clip. (which is usually what you want)

Example Usage

Spoiler

// Reveals the animation names in every single Part in your KSP installation

@PART[*]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFindAnimations
    }
}

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnbmr1po2cst3pz/FindAnimations.zip?dl=1

Source code below in the spoiler. This is public domain so do whatever the heck you want with it. If you find it changes your life and you win at Life and stuff because of it then remember me and say a kind word about my dear departed Melificent, etc etc.

Spoiler

// Coded and released into the Public Domain by Starwaster
using System;
using KSP;
using UnityEngine;

namespace FindAnimations
{
    public class ModuleFindAnimations : PartModule
    {
        public ModuleFindAnimations()
        {
        }

public override void  OnAwake()
        {
            foreach (Animation anim in part.FindModelAnimators())
            {
                Debug.Log("[ModuleFindAnimations] Found Animation " + anim.clip.name + " in part " + part.name);
            }
            base.OnAwake();
        }
    }
}

Edited by Starwaster

@stali79

Bah! Ok, there wasn't anything wrong with the animation names it was only the case sensitivity issue with things like animationName, startEventGUIName, actionGUIName, etc etc.

So I've got most of the animations working again. I think there's a few more parts I need to go look at though. Will do a PR later

9 minutes ago, stali79 said:

Does the stail drop bays have 1 or 2 animations to them. I kinda remember being able to open either set of doors independantly of each other.

Only one as far as I can tell but I'll go look at them again.

@stali79

Bad news. When you added OPT_ to the name of every part (a move BTW that is save breaking, FYI) you also did it for everything else that had name = such as MODULE names, some animation names, science module experiment names, *GUINames, etc etc etc.

... And it could also break some of those things where case sensitivity matters since it looks like it also changed the case

Edited by Starwaster

Looking at the Humpback model, it also seems there are incorrect textures assigned to it in the model...
I guess it textures correctly in-game, due to the texture = overiding what's packed in the .mu...??

And HOW the heck did Blender even become a "thing"?!?!... No wonder I am having such a hard time learning to model... i thought it was just me, and a steep learning curve with blender... But as I am progressing up that curve, i am realising Blender's interface (at least to me), is SOOOOO unintuitive, its actually becoming HARDER to model with... ???... :P

Looking at the Humpback model, it also seems there are incorrect textures assigned to it in the model...
I guess it textures correctly in-game, due to the texture = overiding what's packed in the .mu...??

And HOW the heck did Blender even become a "thing"?!?!... No wonder I am having such a hard time learning to model... i thought it was just me, and a steep learning curve with blender... But as I am progressing up that curve, i am realising Blender's interface (at least to me), is SOOOOO unintuitive, its actually becoming HARDER to model with... ???... :P

You are not alone in this sentiment. I also think Blenders UI is garbage. But it does work and the alternatives are quite expensive (3D max, Maya, Lightwave3D etc...) while Blender is free.

I guess there might be other professional alternatives for free nowadays but i haven't been in the modelling game for a long time.

Use XSI instead. It's no longer being developed but you can still find downloads for it and it's got an interface closer to other modeling packages that are not-Blender

You'll have to export it to something Unity understands which isn't hard. XSI supports Collada so it can export to anything.

http://www.moddb.com/members/varsity/downloads/autodesk-softimage-mod-tool-75

Edited by Starwaster

10 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Use XSI instead. It's no longer being developed but you can still find downloads for it and it's got an interface closer to other modeling packages that are not-Blender

You'll have to export it to something Unity understands which isn't hard. XSI supports Collada so it can export to anything.

http://www.moddb.com/members/varsity/downloads/autodesk-softimage-mod-tool-75

Hmmm... i thought Collada couldnt handle animations?... At least as far as Unity goes, and thats why you use .fbx from Blender to Unity (when there are animations in the model, anyway)...??

XSI had the best interface by far, quite easy to learn. Maya is still the most productive once you know it, but its not exactly intuitive i would say.

4 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@stali79

Bad news. When you added OPT_ to the name of every part (a move BTW that is save breaking, FYI) you also did it for everything else that had name = such as MODULE names, some animation names, science module experiment names, *GUINames, etc etc etc.

... And it could also break some of those things where case sensitivity matters since it looks like it also changed the case

Did the addition of OPT_ broke some MODULE etc? I about to remove my custom built and use the new one ( and make a new custom built that replace all FS switch to SSTU container). If you can confirm that some stuff have been broken, I might postpone my plan a bit.

27 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

XSI had the best interface by far, quite easy to learn. Maya is still the most productive once you know it, but its not exactly intuitive i would say.

Did the addition of OPT_ broke some MODULE etc? I about to remove my custom built and use the new one ( and make a new custom built that replace all FS switch to SSTU container). If you can confirm that some stuff have been broken, I might postpone my plan a bit.

I don't think the affected files were part of an actual release.

9 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@stali79

I know i made a bloboo when i did a mass text replace but i thought i had fixed the issue of the OPT_ being where it shouldnt be. The rename of the parts was because someone suggested it for compatability for things like real fuels etc.

4 hours ago, RedParadize said:

All the parts were renamed so all ships will be broken.

Edited by stali79

7 hours ago, stali79 said:

The rename of the parts was because someone suggested it for compatability for things like real fuels etc.

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning there; it's never been necessary before. I've been writing configs for RF practically forever and that sort of naming scheme has never been necessary or even of particular use.

I think whoever it was said that it would make it easier for blanket patches of the OPT parts, at least thats my understanding of it

Edited by stali79

24 minutes ago, stali79 said:

I think whoever it was said that it would make it easier for blanket patches of the OPT parts, at least thats my understanding of it

If that's the purpose, one could always latch onto manufacturer or use some other method

Well, what you did is not bad, exept that it break savegame. Modder often do update that does that, OPT is in dev not in release after all. OPT_ would have made my MM easier to do.

Anyway, do as you wish...