[/geometry] Convert Skybox to Cylinder map

Whirligig Girl

Does it have to do with hollow Earth theory (can we get a better name for things that aren't theories?).

I just pulling this out from in between my gluteus maximus but isn't a skybox just a texture like anything else? So wouldn't you be able to lay it onto a sphere like anything else? Again that is worse than a stab in the dark.

Does it have to do with hollow Earth theory (can we get a better name for things that aren't theories?).

I just pulling this out from in between my gluteus maximus but isn't a skybox just a texture like anything else? So wouldn't you be able to lay it onto a sphere like anything else? Again that is worse than a stab in the dark.

I think he means the actual skybox being applied to the planet/sphere, not the "theory".

Um... with editing, maybe. Do you have a skybox?

What I'm trying to do is make a planet use the skybox as it's texture, but a Skybox and a Cylinder map are totally different topologies. I need a converter to change from a cube-map to a cylinder map. A Skybox is comprised of 6 textures. Up, Down, Left, Right, Forward, Backwards. A Cylinder map is one texture.

plain_00000.jpg

What I'm trying to do is make a planet use the skybox as it's texture, but a Skybox and a Cylinder map are totally different topologies. I need a converter to change from a cube-map to a cylinder map. A Skybox is comprised of 6 textures. Up, Down, Left, Right, Forward, Backwards. A Cylinder map is one texture.

http://paulbourke.net/geometry/transformationprojection/plain_00000.jpg

I could do it, I think, but the distortion would be quite... interesting. :wink:

I'd suggest just using the Skybox texture as the entire texture. You want a cylinder, right? (No end caps? :huh:) Use the rectangle made of the "Left, Right, Forwards and Backwards" sections.

EDIT:

That's for a cheap placeholder, anyway. You could bake a texture from the box to the sphere/cylinder, which would be more proper.

You can do it using Blender's projection painting tools. You paint onto a UV unwrapped cylinder with the individual images as your projection. You just have to be careful around the cylinder edges, because you'll get a stretched-looking texture if you go over with your brush.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

You can do it using Blender's projection painting tools. You paint onto a UV unwrapped cylinder with the individual images as your projection.

Bingo! (It sounds right, anyway :blush:)

How, exactly? (I suck at texturing in general :()

8SZ8xXH.png

So an unwrapped Cylinder... now a Cube? Hmm.

Edited by Starwhip
Added image

The cyliner map is needed because that's how planets are textured.

This is the kind of texture I want.

tmVmMTfl.jpg

It's not mapped onto a cylinder, but it is a cylindrical projection.

planets-1-cubemap.png

Starting with this:

cube_map_01.gif

We change it to this: (Ignore the color differences. There's not supposed to actually have been any color change in each side, but I couldn't find the cylinder map for this exact one, nor the cube map for the following map.

plain_00000.jpg

As you can see, when the cube-reprojection is mapped to Kerbin, you get this.

LijSXg7.png

LWMz6Ga.png

I want to map a skybox texture to the cylinder projection. (Not actually this skybox, this is just an example from SpaceEngine.)

6259429.jpg

Edited by GregroxMun

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.