[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

Yeah, I was wondering about KW. The good news is that with 1.0.1 (and 1.0.2), they've rescaled the thrust/heat such that older mod parts will still function reasonably well, whereas they wouldn't have in 1.0. However the bottom stack nodes being flipped will break old mods that don't update. I guess someone could always do an unofficial update for it.

But I'm glad you've come here in any case. :)

Edited by NecroBones

I was very disappointed when I learned that KW Rocketry has seemingly been abandoned, or at least is not going to be any kinds of fast on the draw to update to 1.0.

Then I saw this, and I thought "That'll probably do me." I will miss some of KW's overpowered engines in the smaller ranges that made my rocketry life more tolerable, but this oughta do juuust fine.

KW was never abandoned. Author stated right after 1.0 release that he is in the middle of exams right now and would update couple of weeks later.

KW was never abandoned. Author stated right after 1.0 release that he is in the middle of exams right now and would update couple of weeks later.

That sounds quite positive!

Although after having swapped to SpaceY, the only 2 things i miss from KW are the fairings, they were pretty nifty, and the sounds recorded for the Griffon Century.

NecroBones, i think you use stock sounds right? But that would be one point of exploration (engine sounds) :P

Apart from those 2, i much prefer the SRBs in this pack, as well as the Separatron-Couplers (those are just genius) and the "Real" docking ports, so i might end up adding KW if it gets updated, but SpaceY will always come first for me lol

That sounds quite positive!

Although after having swapped to SpaceY, the only 2 things i miss from KW are the fairings, they were pretty nifty, and the sounds recorded for the Griffon Century.

NecroBones, i think you use stock sounds right? But that would be one point of exploration (engine sounds) :P

Apart from those 2, i much prefer the SRBs in this pack, as well as the Separatron-Couplers (those are just genius) and the "Real" docking ports, so i might end up adding KW if it gets updated, but SpaceY will always come first for me lol

Just tried this out for the very same reasons, and I really like it so far, great mod. Not so overloaded as KW is, without stupid tanks you already have the sizes in stock, but only the 5m ones you need :)

I miss the Fairings too from KW, they seperated very realisticly. I saw in the imgur this had fairings before, so maybe something to expand: realistic fairings. Ones that are real parts (YES I WANT to deal with Kessler syndrome :) ) and seperate as two shells like the KW ones.

I love all your mods and consider them essential. Hugs, kisses.

This last update, though, man... when you've got to give us our medicine, you gotta sweeten it. Put some cool new part into the update to make us feel better about all the nerfs. I had already noticed that the ISP of some of the engines was still pretty darn high and had been abusing the hell out of it :D

Now the answer to everything is not "Kiwi * 7". How could you do this to me?

/shakes fist at cloud

(For reals, love your mods, thank you for keeping them up to date.)

Awesome, I'm glad you're all enjoying the mod!

I had already noticed that the ISP of some of the engines was still pretty darn high and had been abusing the hell out of it :D

Now the answer to everything is not "Kiwi * 7". How could you do this to me?

Hehe, yeah :)

If you're using SpaceY 0.12.1 and KSP 1.0.2, you lost quite a bit of thrust due to them reversing the "MaxThrust" usage in the configs again. Tonight's SpaceY update will fix that. Though I did lower the R5 a little from where it was (max vacuum thrust of 10k instead of 11k), and of course their thrusts are all a little lower now due to atmospheric ISP, but that's true of the stock engines too.

Updated for 1.0.1 & 1.0.2:

0.12.2 (2015-05-01) - 1.0.1 adjustments
- Improved gimbal on liquid-fuel engines.
- Adjusted heat generation on all engines to correspond to KSP 1.0.1 changes.
- Adjusted all engine thrust numbers to correspond to KSP 1.0.1 changes.
- Added "drag box" settings for conical cargo bay.
- Converted textures to DDS format.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, as an added bonus, now that I have "drag boxes" on the petal bay, it makes for a pretty killer air-brake. :)

Hi Necro, was not sure where to get you but i did not get a reddit reply :P

I'm probably being a noob here, but i'm trying to stage below an M1 "Moa" engine with a 2.5m decoupler: The shroud is always slanted (2.5m>3.75m if top node, 3.75m>5m bottom node) Is this normal? Can i make it "Straight"?

Hi Necro, was not sure where to get you but i did not get a reddit reply :P

I'm probably being a noob here, but i'm trying to stage below an M1 "Moa" engine with a 2.5m decoupler: The shroud is always slanted (2.5m>3.75m if top node, 3.75m>5m bottom node) Is this normal? Can i make it "Straight"?

Heh, sorry about that. I'm not on reddit consistently. :) The link was mainly there to prove I was the mod maker for getting the modder flair. :)

Yes, that engine does always have a slanted shroud. It was meant to be part of the "cost" of using it as an upper stage engine, to make it expect a larger stage underneath. I can always re-evaluate that of course. I'm not sure how useful the 3.75->5m shroud is, in retrospect.

- - - Updated - - -

I just did a quick test with adding another shroud node to the M1, and unfortunately adding a new attachment node is save-breaking (as in, the craft with the attached engine will not be controllable).

I'll have to think on that. I could probably redesign the 3.75->5m shroud under the assumption that not many people are using it, and thus keep the existing nodes in place. Or even crazier, I could make a whole separate engine that's intended to be a normal upper-stage engine at that diameter. :)

Heh, sorry about that. I'm not on reddit consistently. :) The link was mainly there to prove I was the mod maker for getting the modder flair. :)

Yes, that engine does always have a slanted shroud. It was meant to be part of the "cost" of using it as an upper stage engine, to make it expect a larger stage underneath. I can always re-evaluate that of course. I'm not sure how useful the 3.75->5m shroud is, in retrospect.

- - - Updated - - -

I just did a quick test with adding another shroud node to the M1, and unfortunately adding a new attachment node is save-breaking (as in, the craft with the attached engine will not be controllable).

I'll have to think on that. I could probably redesign the 3.75->5m shroud under the assumption that not many people are using it, and thus keep the existing nodes in place. Or even crazier, I could make a whole separate engine that's intended to be a normal upper-stage engine at that diameter. :)

Ah, okay then =)

I'm just running through career and 3.75m is quite a bit later but i'm still staging the M1 vertically with the Stock LFB KR-1x2 below it until I unlock some 3.75m parts.

I don't think i'll ever use the M1 to push 3.75m stages after a 5m launch though, so there's that too... (I'd put the R1 instead, then) but don't go by 1 person's use of it lol

But as a note, even though the slants are good, i usually put a same-size decoupler followed by an adapter, rather than using the slanted shrouds. So typical build for me would be: 2.5 fuel > 2.5 engine > 2.5 decoupler > 2.5 - 3.75m fuel tank > 3.75m tank > 3.75 engine > 3.75 decoupler > 3.75-5m tank, etc

For an engine like the M1 "moa", i think that a "standard node" of 2.5 >2.5 shroud with the "extra node" of 2.5 > 3.75 would suffice. Same for any engine really: a straight node and a slanted node to the "next level"

If anything else is needed, the Interstage adapters can be used instead :P

Finally, i would keep this as a "when 1.0.3 comes out and breaks SpaceY again". To Do list, if you want, as the mod as it is works just fine (i'll just work around the shrouds for now) as it is, and i don't think this needs to be changed for now ;)

Thanks for considering it though! Great work as always!

There is a problem loading a DDS File:

Load(Texture): SpaceY-Lifters/PartList/SimpleIcons/cs_size4

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Texture load error in 'C:\Kerbal Space Program 1.0\GameData\SpaceY-Lifters\PartList\SimpleIcons\cs_size4.dds'

Thanks for considering it though! Great work as always!

Awesome, thanks. I'll think on it some more before figuring out what I'd like to do with it. :)

There is a problem loading a DDS File:

Load(Texture): SpaceY-Lifters/PartList/SimpleIcons/cs_size4

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Texture load error in 'C:\Kerbal Space Program 1.0\GameData\SpaceY-Lifters\PartList\SimpleIcons\cs_size4.dds'

Ah, no problem. That image isn't being used, I can remove it.

So the 5m parts show up in the "filter by cross-section" tab of the advanced VAB part picker with a question mark icon and a pop-up bubble of "size4" (vs "Size 3 [3.75m]"). Any chance of fixing the icon and description?

Unfortunately I don't have a way to do so, currently. They didn't make a config that I can find that controls this or can be updated via MM.

(although I would love to be wrong about that) ;)

What were the Isps of the engines before 1.0? I play with the vacuum Isp restoration mod and want to tweak it to be in line with that.

I might have to take a look at that mod. If it's something that can be detected in a config for MM, maybe I can add support for it.

The last version before KSP 1.0 came out was 0.11, which you can find here: http://ksp.necrobones.com/files/SpaceY-Lifters/SpaceY-Lifters-0.11.zip

I did a quick grep on it in linux, and here are the atmospheric curve keys from everything in that version:

SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Decouplers/SYdecouplerRadial/SYdecouplerRadial1.cfg: key = 0 200
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Decouplers/SYdecouplerRadial/SYdecouplerRadial1.cfg: key = 1 200
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Decouplers/SYdecouplerRadial/SYdecouplerRadial2.cfg: key = 0 200
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Decouplers/SYdecouplerRadial/SYdecouplerRadial2.cfg: key = 1 200
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine1mK1.cfg: key = 0 355
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine1mK1.cfg: key = 1 290
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine2mM1.cfg: key = 0 350
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine2mM1.cfg: key = 1 280
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine2mR1.cfg: key = 0 315
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine2mR1.cfg: key = 1 270
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine5mM5.cfg: key = 0 360
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine5mM5.cfg: key = 1 280
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine5mM5.cfg: key = 0 360
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine5mM5.cfg: key = 1 280
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine5mM9.cfg: key = 0 340
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine5mM9.cfg: key = 1 280
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine5mM9.cfg: key = 0 330
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine5mM9.cfg: key = 1 275
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine5mR5.cfg: key = 0 315
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine5mR5.cfg: key = 1 270
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine5mR5.cfg: key = 0 315
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/Engines/SYengine5mR5.cfg: key = 1 270
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/RCS-OMS/SYoms1.cfg: key = 0 260
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/RCS-OMS/SYoms1.cfg: key = 1 100
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/RCS-OMS/SYoms1.cfg: key = 0 290
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/RCS-OMS/SYoms1.cfg: key = 1 220
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/RCS-OMS/SYoms2.cfg: key = 0 260
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/RCS-OMS/SYoms2.cfg: key = 1 100
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/RCS-OMS/SYoms2.cfg: key = 0 290
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/RCS-OMS/SYoms2.cfg: key = 1 220
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/SRBs/SYejectatron/part.cfg: key = 0 150
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/SRBs/SYejectatron/part.cfg: key = 1 140
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/SRBs/SYSRB_1875/SYSRB_1875L09.cfg: key = 0 250
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/SRBs/SYSRB_1875/SYSRB_1875L09.cfg: key = 1 230
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/SRBs/SYSRB_1875/SYSRB_1875L15.cfg: key = 0 250
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/SRBs/SYSRB_1875/SYSRB_1875L15.cfg: key = 1 230
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/SRBs/SYSRB_25/SYSRB_25L11.cfg: key = 0 250
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/SRBs/SYSRB_25/SYSRB_25L11.cfg: key = 1 230
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/SRBs/SYSRB_25/SYSRB_25L17.cfg: key = 0 250
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/SRBs/SYSRB_25/SYSRB_25L17.cfg: key = 1 230
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/SRBs/SYSRB_25/SYSRB_25L23.cfg: key = 0 250
SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/SRBs/SYSRB_25/SYSRB_25L23.cfg: key = 1 230

Have you considered making little tiny solid rocket boosters? Like the GEMs found on a Delta II 7000 series?

I probably could. :) I thought about doing that in MRS, actually. SpaceY has mostly been about adding the big parts (sort-of like an extension of the ARM pack from 0.23.5), but not everything has to be that way 100%.

How tiny were you thinking, maybe 0.625m diameter? Right now the 1.25m size range is pretty fleshed out in stock, and I've added 1.875m and 2.5m big boosters. :)

Yeah, .625 would be awesome! That way I can make a 1.25 metre Delta II.

OK, I'll keep that in mind. :)

My hope is to get an update out later today so that people can play with the updates over the weekend. We'll see if I can squeeze it in, but I'm not sure yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.