S.S.T.Y.C Challenge

[Multiple Choice] What best defines a single stage craft?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. [Multiple Choice] What best defines a single stage craft?

• The craft does not rearrange parts
    • The craft uses only one stage in the staging controls.
    • Pieces of the craft do not have seperate tasks.
    • The craft does not re-fuel or re-stock to complete it's task.

Welcome to the single stage to your choosing challenge!

This challenge will be for almost anything and everything single stage. Lets see what we can accomplish without making a mess of orbit.

I may modify or add rules depending on how this challenge pans out. So far so good!

If you have any suggestions for rules or formatting, feel free to send me a message.

Rules and Restrictions

• No single stage to orbit, low Kerbin orbit lifters, liquid jets that "just fly" (or hover), Kerbin circumnavigators, or ion gliders.
  • Your craft can use as many stages in the staging controls as you want, but you can not get rid of any parts. Think re-usable.
  • No re-fueling. Things will get crazy and complicated if everyone can re-fuel. Lets see what we can do with one fill.
  • Your craft may separate, but all pieces must be recovered together. No using SSTO lifters or ditching stuff in orbit.
  • It's ok to lose pieces of your craft while attempting to show it off (i.e. crashing), but it should not lose pieces by design.
  • Information, autopilot, and visual mods are allowed. No other mods please.
  • All stock parts, physics, and solar system. No file tweaking or modding please.
  • No over powered game exploits like kraken drives, or infinigliding. Part clipping is allowed.
  • No debug menu shenanigans. Please be honest, nobody likes cheaters.
  • Must provide pics of your accomplishments, my bandwidth usage limit doesn't like videos. Embedded albums rock! If you don't know how to, you can learn here.

Scoring

Please include at least 3 pieces of information for scoring, feel free to add additional information that you feel is relevant to your design.

I created this challenge thinking that I would need to create catagories for people to compete in. But so far nobody has been particularly competitive (except maybe zekes).

If I start to see some competition I will create categories, but for now here is what people have accomplished with a single stage.

Entries [TABLE=class: grid, width: 1400, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]User[/TD]

[TD]Single Stage to...[/TD]

[TD]Time[/TD]

[TD]Cost[/TD]

[TD]Weight[/TD]

[TD]Kerbals[/TD]

[TD]Returned to KSC?[/TD]

[TD]Notes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Zipmafia[/TD]

[TD]KSC destruction[/TD]

[TD]11m 45s[/TD]

[TD]358,360 Funds[/TD]

[TD]264 t[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]Crippled KSC's Flight Capabilities[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]"[/TD]

[TD]Asteroid recovery[/TD]

[TD]81d 3h 7m[/TD]

[TD]111,252 Funds[/TD]

[TD]37.6 t[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]Could definitely recover larger asteroids, and probably back to KSC given a little patience[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]"[/TD]

[TD]Minmus rover and return[/TD]

[TD]66d 4h:32m[/TD]

[TD]102,632 Funds[/TD]

[TD]8.17 t[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]Rover for Kerbin and Minmus. Did 3 flybys of Mun[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]zekes[/TD]

[TD]VAB destruction[/TD]

[TD]2m 50s[/TD]

[TD]???[/TD]

[TD]192 t[/TD]

[TD]2?[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]Can carry an additional 300 tons! Could probably take out the rest of KSC given more time[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Rakaydos[/TD]

[TD]Minmus and return[/TD]

[TD]29d 2h:21m[/TD]

[TD]208,476 Funds[/TD]

[TD]~50 t[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]Could have gotten rid of his NERVA drive, but didn't to honor the challenge[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Wanderfound[/TD]

[TD]Jool[/TD]

[TD]2y 363d 2h 45m[/TD]

[TD]???[/TD]

[TD]???[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[TD]Could probably make it to Laythe if they were more careful. Did deliver a nice "Fine Print" satellite though![/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]smartech[/TD]

[TD]Laythe rover and return[/TD]

[TD]~7 Years[/TD]

[TD]693,805 Funds[/TD]

[TD]229 t[/TD]

[TD]18[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]This monster rover can make trips back and forth between KSC and Laythe![/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]capi3101[/TD]

[TD]Low Munar orbit crew transport[/TD]

[TD]29h 43m ?[/TD]

[TD]N/A (0.23)[/TD]

[TD]25.69 t[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]It looks very stable, efficient, and fast![/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]kriseric[/TD]

[TD]Duna and return[/TD]

[TD]4y 92d[/TD]

[TD]69,664 Funds[/TD]

[TD]27.6 t[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]No?[/TD]

[TD]Made it home with 1 m/s of delta V. Good thing they brought parachutes![/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]GoSlash27[/TD]

[TD]Groundhog day (lol)[/TD]

[TD]5h 15m 47s[/TD]

[TD]29,314 Funds[/TD]

[TD]12.56 t[/TD]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]Yes x3[/TD]

[TD]Made three runs to orbit and docking![/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Starwhip[/TD]

[TD]Minmus with payload[/TD]

[TD]7d 2h 10m[/TD]

[TD]79,664 Funds[/TD]

[TD]???[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]Was able to deliver a nice science lander![/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by Zipmafia
This is a work in progress everyone. Bear with me if I change the format a bunch.

...This challenge is more about all the inventive, efficient, and hilarious stuff people can accomplish with single stage crafts.

Yeah, so I have a tractor launched on a SSTO. After undocking the SSTO landed and was recovered. So far the tractor has been everywhere except Eeloo and Eve (and back to Kerbin orbit), because I haven't got a transfer window for them yet. It's refuelled lots of times - with reusable fuel modules that have also since been recovered. It has never landed anywhere, it's just used to shuttle other stuff around.

THAT's efficient, but how would it fit?

@ capi3101 & Wanderfound: I would say nay. By low Kerbin orbit lifters I mean't any craft who's only goal is to ferry something to orbit. That includes fuel, crafts, and kerbals.

@ Pecan: I would rate your craft for whatever it could accomplish without re-fueling. Also, is it just a re-fueling station? Or a interplanetary tug? Pictures for scoring please.

@ zekes: Ahhhh, I didn't think about hover craft. I feel those have also been done to death, yours rocks though! I'm putting it in KSC destruction as long as I can get the price and time to completion.

@ Rakaydos: Nice single stage to minimus return craft! That is going on the leaderboard. Any chance of getting the price?

@ zekes: Ahhhh, I didn't think about hover craft. I feel those have also been done to death, yours rocks though! I'm putting it in KSC destruction as long as I can get the price and time to completion.

Cost: However much one VAB costs to fully repair. (all i did was land on it tho)

Time: 2:50

"Tough Bird": a bigger better faster and stronger SSLRRV (Single Stage Laythe Roving Return Vehicle)

0.25 stock parts and physics used (Mechjeb for control).

Flies 2 pilots and 16 passengers to Laythe, roves, takes off and back to Kerbin. (possibly more roving on Kerbin if lands far from KSP).

Cost: 693805.5 credits.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Posted originally here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/33312-Showcase-SSTO-s!-Post-your-pictures-here?p=1555016#post1555016

@ capi3101 & Wanderfound: I would say nay. By low Kerbin orbit lifters I mean't any craft who's only goal is to ferry something to orbit. That includes fuel, crafts, and kerbals.

It didn't just ferry Kerbals to orbit...it ferried them to the Mun, rendezvoused with a space station there, came back to Kerbin and landed on the runway......

@ capi3101: Oops, sorry about that. Sometimes I breeze through posts without reading everything. That sounds great, lets see it!

Alright then. Here she is - my K-Prize winning entry from 0.23, the Auk-IV.

Earned the Kosmokerbal Commendation (Mün), Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1stClass for this entry. Total flight time was 29:42:49 by the old system of reckoning, and the plane weighed in at 25.686 tonnes. From a time before Kerbal economy was in effect - so cost is N/A (though I still have the design and could probably stick it in 0.25 to see what price tag comes up).

I have done a flight in a similar plane recently - the Peacock 7 - wherein Bill was sent to repair a poorly designed FinePrint satellite in orbit between Mun and Minmus. I'd've put that one up here instead except I didn't grab any screenies from that run. Might do a different run if folks take issue with the age of the entry.

Got one in the works to do a Mun landing - spaceplane launch, spaceplane transfer stage, seperate lander, lander docks back up and the whole thing lands at KSC. If it works I'll probably make a second entry here...and a 0.25 entry for the K-Prize too. Gotta get it in orbit first, of course...

Single stage to asteroid recovery is complete.

I'm hoping somebody will start being competitive and try to beat out one of these designs.

http://imgur.com/a/AwM0G

Can you design a ship that will split itself into parts and attach to the asteroid as wings, tail and landing gear, and land the whole thing on the runway? For that matter, if a craft reconfigures itself through docking, does this still count as a single stage?

Can you design a ship that will split itself into parts and attach to the asteroid as wings, tail and landing gear, and land the whole thing on the runway? For that matter, if a craft reconfigures itself through docking, does this still count as a single stage?

Yes, and yes. Go nuts, and Happy Turkey Day!

Thank you for this fun open-ended challenge. Lately I have been experimenting with efficient usage of the nuclear rockets. I decided to attempt a return trip to Duna (first time for me).

The first design needed some tweaking but eventually I got there (and back).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Relevant information:

Mission duration: 4 years 92 days

take-off weight: 27.6 tonnes

returned weight: 14.5 tonnes

Cost: 69,664 creds

Edited by kriseric

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.