Challenge: A Heavy Lift Vehicle

Satellite orbits between 62.5 and 59km altitude W 2305 apogee velocity

I used my posted heavy lift Saturn, but I added a mini tank and small LFR for the crew return, and replaced the 1x3 cone with a 2m fuel tank feeding the first stage stock LFRs

I'll give it a whirl when I get home. I'll be interested to see if it gets mad about the satellite sitting on top from a stability standpoint. Then, one of the problems with getting the satellite up there is that to be totally non-cheating about it, you must have an engine stage above the satellite so that you can do a de-orbit burn and not kill the kerbonauts. So not only do you have the weight of the sat, but the weight of a full tank of fuel and engine that you have to loft into an orbit. That means your rocket is going to have to do a lot more work than it's been doing so far. I'll be interested to see if it'll do it. :)

Yes, the rocket gets quite mad about the satellite perched way up there. :o

I came up with a way to lower the satellite, but it requires nonstandard parts. Basically you come off the capsule with the triple radial coupler. You run regular rockets on the sides, a bunch of SAS's on the middle, and below them you stick the satellite. Unfortunately it wiggles around a lot because you can't secure the bases of the 3 rocket stacks, and they have to be pretty tall to provide enough thrust to get you anywhere.

Okay, so I didn't get any attachments, but here is what I came up with:

6 wobbly rocket boosters are the first stage to fire.

Coupled above that is standard LFE's w/ 2 fuel tanks apiece.

Coupled above that is 6 standard boosters.

1 SAS each on top of the boosters.

The 6 stacks described above are then all coupled to the orbital stage, which consists of 5 fuel tanks and a standard LFE, with one SAS on top of the last fuel tank. Coupled above that is my payload (Comm Sat), which has a retro thruster plus coupler on top of it. Above it is two small fuel tanks and a small LFE, then the command module and 'chute.

Presently, I am drifting at about 110k, still climbing slightly, working on stabilizing my orbit. I have 1 1/2 tanks of fuel left, which *should* be enough to stabilize my first orbit, then burn to a transfer orbit out to 35700k (geosync) and establish in that orbit. Then, deposit my com sat, flip over and do a small retro burn, and come on home.

But, this being Kearth...I probably overlooked an explosive bolt on the toilet seat or something.

Anyway, takes off and flies almost as straight as an arrow, no wobble, very little roll, and behave fairly smoothly in orbit.

Catapult-H2

Uses Wobbly Rockets 1.08; can put the satellite into an escape vector with plenty of fuel to spare and still bring the kerbonauts home safely after.

Rather tricky to fly the first stage until you get the hang of it; there's a certain balance needed between getting enough thrust out of the medium liquids to maintain speed and not blowing yourself up in a fiery cataclysm. Speaking of which, don't have the throttle at full unless you like said fiery cataclysms. It might be capable of single-stage-and-a-half to orbit (getting everything except the SRBs into orbit) with the satellite and everything, but I keep not going horizontal early enough and wind up at like 55km and 200m/s short. Ditch second stage and satellite and it probably could without trouble.

• 1 year later...