Biome Maps

On the .90 feature video we saw Biome maps. Max on the twitch squadcast said they are in a debug menu for now and they'll see what we want before they make a final decision on what to do with them.

So... What do you want done with them?

I have a few ideas and have heard some good ideas...

Unlock them from tech tree nodes...

Build a observatory and get more as you upgrade it...

Maybe also need to put telescopes in orbit above each planet to scan them...

Maybe get the map for an object after some number of surface samples have been obtained from them...

Regardless of how they are unlocked... I for one definitely want them in there as an integral part.

I don't see why... other than developer time... they couldn't be unlocked multiple ways. Several of the methods I have heard could be equal paths to the same info.

scanning with a satellite could be a faster way than building a really expensive observatory... and upgrading it... Ground exploration could gradually fill in the map...

Now that I think of it, a stock way of viewing biomes would be a great addition to the game! Guessing where each biome is can get annoying (especially on Minmus, there are like four biomes in the flats).

Edited by Rthsom

I say leave it in the debug menu for now and introduce it to the game after implementing some satellite feature similar to ScanSat. The tracking station shouldn't be able to identify all the biomes in the system however good it is.

I'd say build them out as part of the science archives and map view over the course of observations.

Start with basic areas of interest identified from telescopes at the tracking station, with less detail further from Kerbin and more detail as the center's upgraded. Add new areas of interest with fly-bys, orbiting/landing craft and mapping satellites based what regions they pass over and how close, with lower passes revealing more detail (like those little sub-biomes scattered around the flats). Rovers, of course, would simply reveal the areas they traverse, discovering biomes as they go.

As biomes are discovered, they'd be added to the map and to the science archives as new areas to gather science from.

once again, WTH would you need to do something special to "unlock" something that anyone could see on a map?

A kerbin looks at his planet, sees mountains, plains, seas, etc.. Why would he need to launch a series of satellites to tell him where those are?

Ditto with other orbital bodies...

once again, WTH would you need to do something special to "unlock" something that anyone could see on a map?

Ah, not unlock, but reveal. Not all is clear from a great distance, one should expect curious new areas of interest to be discovered upon having a closer look, be it with a better telescope, a direct visit, or a mapping satellite to perhaps pierce the clouds of Eve with radar or IR optics.

I'd say build them out as part of the science archives and map view over the course of observations.

Start with basic areas of interest identified from telescopes at the tracking station, with less detail further from Kerbin and more detail as the center's upgraded. Add new areas of interest with fly-bys, orbiting/landing craft and mapping satellites based what regions they pass over and how close, with lower passes revealing more detail (like those little sub-biomes scattered around the flats). Rovers, of course, would simply reveal the areas they traverse, discovering biomes as they go.

As biomes are discovered, they'd be added to the map and to the science archives as new areas to gather science from.

I think this sums up what I was going say really well. It finally gives a reason a have satellites. I love satellites. :)

yeah, I agree with having them uncovered through satellite mapping. (or really any activity that involves a mission to do it, as opposed to just clicking something and trading in points for them)

*snip

A kerbin looks at his planet, sees mountains, plains, seas, etc.. Why would he need to launch a series of satellites to tell him where those are?

Ditto with other orbital bodies...

It's taken us centuries and resulted in many conflicting mapping formats (never mind many terminally lost explorers) before we arrived at the "standard" Earth maps of today (and "standard" is still debatable as there are still competing formats). Satellite mapping is more effective than ground based surveys.

Agree that having satellites and rovers/landing uncover them. But, also have tracking stations upgrades do the same. Just not at the same level that a satellite/rover/lander will be getting. Also would be nice if sats, rovers, and craft can spot certain pesky things temporarily.

A neat thing if possable would be to have the areas known only when the tracking station/satellite could see it. So it would give reasons to drop probes/bases as well as rovers to them.

Also since it is clear you have the areas marked. Might as well not let the work go to waste.

Oh! so long as we're adding biome maps... the same interface could be used to place "targets"... "waypoints"... markers... of some type to use as targets for landing... missions... our own names for places...

Oooh, yes...waypoints for rovers would be sauce of significant density.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.