Kron series (Kron 6 end of mission) - temporary halt of program

lajoswinkler

The main module has been launched using a pretty heavy rocket with three KR-2L engines and three liquid fuel boosters.

D446AAE9000E7F2D27E3B5D25678078DEFB61A29

9E8D0F2516A906B02140E7FF1310D7379A4D575E

Docking was surprisingly easy.

0721912F3C4AC61578F94FA7FA71C5C44B275EC0

464AE919A41E5BA23B82C28744F64F022B153319

Aligning was not even tried. This was all done without Kerbals. The most important thing was to join the parts into one vessel.

Next launch will bring up the propulsion module, and then the ship will autonomously dock with it.

Kerbal engineers stumbled upon an enormous problem - putting the collosal propulsion unit into a low Kerbin orbit. Unlike with Kron 3, this propulsion unit is much more heavier when it's full. If a rocket is ought to be simple, it would need to be taller than VAB. Complex rockets would have an insane amount of parts.

So it was decided to launch the thing almost completely empty and use a three stage vehicle with boosters. First stage is a cluster of mainsails on a conical fuel tank with four liquid fuel boosters.

Behold, the launch.

E5FE1B6285ACA40E005E22A4B4FEF8ECA485915C

The first stage did initially experience minor issues with one of the boosters getting too hot and partially exploding, but the rocket is so heavy it didn't pose a problem.

Sepratrons firing upon booster separation caused the first stage to explode, though.

Second stage was ignited without problems.

Enormous fairings fall off, revealing the propulsion unit.

C6DF5CFF3ECD7A5EEF9AEDA28B341BE871685C7A

Circularization was established using more than half of the third stage.

053BFBBB5C1BF5B2AC56A447341671E4D7DDC221

As it is a rather bulky object, it was not maneuvered, but simply approached by the ship and then docked to.

3A2D4BF80B29B66A9C85FB253DED4DE3749F768C

Kron 4 is now assembled, but lacks the fuel. Bill Kerman will lead several missions where he will strut the ship and deliver pure liquid fuel for the nuclear engines.

D939F3E9D0FD87487600E76BC36AD24CF74A9090

Edited by lajoswinkler

Ah, I've just found this thread again, and you're doing Kron 4 now! Great!

Also, have you ever heard of 'tumbling pigeons'? It's a kind of centrifugal gravity that doesn't need a dedicated centrifuge thing on the ship, this image will explain it much better than I can:

tumblingPigeon.jpg

See? With this, by spinning the spacecraft end-over-end, you create centrifugal gravity without the centrifuge which can snap you're ship in half. So you can spin you're already constructed Kron 4 like this! (Yes, I know that it's kind of useless, but it still looks cool though, so maybe you could try doing this.)

First delivery of liquid fuel.

9D6EF8C38FA15894A8E18762B8B8CB9AA1B7D13C

548C813E6ED42B4D28000C19129B829D747D069A

Bill soon realized he forgot to bring his drill so the team had to go back. :)

After that he brought his handy dandy 3D glasses and a full glass helmet.

9D9A6E0CB0ABD35133D08B90961081B3AC9922B0

Less than one silver tank was filled. Ministry is not satisfied.

Well the Ministry has asked for an accelerated refueling so a larger supply vessel was provided capable of delivering almost three silver tank worth of liquid fuel (almost 11 000 units).

As usual, haste does not bring much good. Latest refueling mission ended right before the sunset and at the moment of unplugging the fuel pipe, the whole frontal part of the ship was blown off. Apparently Jeb and Val were busy doing something else and the ships were slightly touching.

Kron 4 command module and supply ship's capsule were destroyed (Jeb and Val were killed), main heatshield has been blown off like a coin and the lander was thrown away.

Bill has escaped the explosion and has boarded Kron 4, being unable to return home.

Stay tuned for more developing news on the disaster.

561A4065F5DE733D01D59543C018A98AEBECEAAE

special news

- Kerbal biomedical scientists are working hard on cloning Jebediah and Valentina.

- Wernher von Kerman has ordered a new frontal portion of the ship to be made and launched as soon as possible.

- Mortimer Kerman threatens to burn down the KSC flag and protests in front of the Administration building because of huge additional expenses.

- Bill was saved by an autonomous Mk1 vehicle. He landed and was recovered by the ground crew.

Walt Kerman, Public relations of the MONBTTD

Well I am sorry to hear about the untimely accidents. Admittedly it makes me feel a little bit less of a plebe to hear that you shared a similar difficulty in launching your drive section while full.

*Edit: While completing the merger of my pressurized and drive sections (if its not clear this thread has inspired me to build a Kron-alike), and strengthening the structural integrity with KAS/KIS struts, my vessel suffered a rapid unplanned dis-assembly. I think it was a wonky physics thing caused by strutting two hard-docked vessels together? Its possible that some kind of weird KAS bug was what destroyed Kron 4-Alpha.*

Edited by technerd89
Additional feedback

ahh, cloning works everytime.

Verterion spatial conductulators are working at 120% nominal power just to make things go smooth.

Well I am sorry to hear about the untimely accidents. Admittedly it makes me feel a little bit less of a plebe to hear that you shared a similar difficulty in launching your drive section while full.

*Edit: While completing the merger of my pressurized and drive sections (if its not clear this thread has inspired me to build a Kron-alike), and strengthening the structural integrity with KAS/KIS struts, my vessel suffered a rapid unplanned dis-assembly. I think it was a wonky physics thing caused by strutting two hard-docked vessels together? Its possible that some kind of weird KAS bug was what destroyed Kron 4-Alpha.*

Indeed, this was a KAS bug. Vessel command pods were touching and it's possible Kron 4 struts were passing through the refueling vessel. Upon severing the pipeline, something glitched and kaboom.

My first thought was"DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN THE INNER HATCH."

ALso, what website do you use to post pictures

Yup, I've shared a similar thought. The explosion was spectacular, with tiny bits flying and tumbling everywhere.

I use this site.

Edited by lajoswinkler
typo

The ship is repaired and refueling has continued. Jebediah and Valentina don't remember any accident has ever happened, although there are rumors some smooching was what caused the accident.

1ADFEB27D110085DF7A8C41CCF11477783C46C3D

This rocket's whole upper white part is pure liquid fuel. Three more launches at most, and the ship will be filled up and ready to go.

(Check out the shadow on the VAB.)

I think it was the jeb+Val smooching

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I either find that disturbing or regular depending on which of my saves I played last. In one of them my head canon is that jeb bill and bob are triplets and val I their kid sister. In the other Kerman is a title meaning that you are part of the space program and not a last name, and that jeb and Val are in a thing.

The last refueling mission was flown by Jebediah, Bill and Bob, who had to make sure Kron 4 was ready to do some science.

A54B40B135A28AED3522CD96B9F1AD7B1CBDB275

Blue tank was a delivery of pure oxidizer. Also, some additional monopropellant was brought along. The ship is ready. It's filled to the top.

3437D8B04F609C050867B5830D4939AE4D439299

Mission control is testing Kerty, the onboard computer while the crew is enjoying their last days on Kerbin before they head to Urlum.

Edited by lajoswinkler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.