Kron series (Kron 6 end of mission) - temporary halt of program

lajoswinkler

Noted. ^_^

I'm continuing with filling missions for the ship. Its mass is almost 620 tonnes now, and it's something like 1/3 full. We're getting closer to 9000 m/s of delta v capability.

Some nice screenies.

Spoiler

26F4355B50D8408E76C1C1CC2734092976FD6FB0

Spoiler

B245AFB13EF320DF561846FA0AA571E12C5DDDA2

Here you can see @KAL 9000's tiny landers, safely docked.

Spoiler

12AF20355330F24057B6F98369E0F55CE4D85EF6

Awesome job! I get back tomorrow, and can get the craft to you. Will you still be able to take them? Extremely light (at least from my sketches) and nimble landers for small moons.

13 hours ago, DMSP said:

Awesome job! I get back tomorrow, and can get the craft to you. Will you still be able to take them? Extremely light (at least from my sketches) and nimble landers for small moons.

I'm not sure. I shouldn't increase the length of the arm because it will increase the torque, but I might be able to relaunch the thing KAL 9000 did, with two more decouplers on the sides holding your . I'd remove the outer docking port, then. Send the file and I'll check it out.

9 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

Yeah! When's the crew launch?

It won't be until the ship is filled with liquid fuel. With Kerbalism installed, I don't want to increase their psycho-problems by exposing them to space more than it's needed.

8 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

That sounds most un-Kerbal-like. I thought the whole point was to increase their problems. Y'know, for science. Now you want to keep them sane? Bah. :wink: 

But someone has got to run the experiments. And land. The whole ship has only one probe core and it's in the propulsion unit. :o

9 hours ago, xXIndestructibleEVAXx said:

Approximately how long will it take for Kron 6 to reach Plock? 

The plan is to make the trip last for less than five years, but it will depend on the Plock distance. I think it will be possible to reach it in four years.

1 hour ago, lajoswinkler said:

The plan is to make the trip last for less than five years, but it will depend on the Plock distance. I think it will be possible to reach it in four years.

F-five years?! How many Delta-V will you need in order to do that?

Edited by Elowiny

1 hour ago, Elowiny said:

F-five years?! How many Delta-V will you need in order to do that?

Surprisingly enough, not as someone would expect. The farther the orbiting bodies are, the lesser are the increments in delta v a ship needs to spend to get there, Hohmann or hyperbolic. I'm mainly concerned about getting back. Think about it.

58 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Surprisingly enough, not as someone would expect. The farther the orbiting bodies are, the lesser are the increments in delta v a ship needs to spend to get there, Hohmann or hyperbolic. I'm mainly concerned about getting back. Think about it.

Right. Since Plock is extremely far away, I'm afraid to even imagine how fast Kron 6 will fall towards Kerbin.

Edited by Elowiny

4 hours ago, Elowiny said:

Right. Since Plock is extremely far away, I'm afraid to even imagine how fast Kron 6 will fall towards Kerbin.

I'm gonna have to push towards Kerbin because, otherwise, trip back home would last for a LONG time. Then I'm gonna have to brake. I've never done something of this magnitude.

Edited by lajoswinkler

2 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

I'm gonna have to push towards Kerbin because, otherwise, trip back home would last for a LONG time. Then I'm gonna have to brake. I've never done something of this magnitude.

Do you plan to use ISRU and mining to refuel the Kron ship while you're at Plock to get more fuel, thus more Delta-V?

12 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Surprisingly enough, not as someone would expect. The farther the orbiting bodies are, the lesser are the increments in delta v a ship needs to spend to get there, Hohmann or hyperbolic. I'm mainly concerned about getting back. Think about it

It's not the transfer, it's the capture that kills you on a fast trip.  That's why so few of our probes that have gone beyond Mars have captured.

14 hours ago, Elowiny said:

Do you plan to use ISRU and mining to refuel the Kron ship while you're at Plock to get more fuel, thus more Delta-V?

No, I'm taking all the fuel with me. ISRU is tedious and it takes a long time, and time is a commodity when you use life support.

10 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

It's not the transfer, it's the capture that kills you on a fast trip.  That's why so few of our probes that have gone beyond Mars have captured.

Exactly. It's gonna be difficult to get captured by Plock, but I'm gonna rely on its enormous SOI.

How much Delta-V are you going to need to go to Plock, land on Plock and the moons, then come back to Kerbin (Including speeding towards Kerbin then slowing down) ?

Edited by Elowiny

13 hours ago, Elowiny said:

How much Delta-V are you going to need to go to Plock, land on Plock and the moons, then come back to Kerbin (Including speeding towards Kerbin then slowing down) ?

Hopefully less than I'll have onboard. :D

One of the things I like to do with KSP is to eyeball a bit. I really plan these things a lot, with tons of details (because once you're on your way, that's it), but I like to go higher than expected and then act conservative with fuel spending. I often end up with like 3 km/s left.

Kron 6 should have something like 15 km/s when fully fueled in low Kerbin orbit. Granted, some of its parts will be left behind like the Knugen lander and the station. As with all Kron ships, that means an increase in total delta v. It can all be calculated in advance, but ain't nobody got time fo dat.

2 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Hopefully less than I'll have onboard. :D

One of the things I like to do with KSP is to eyeball a bit. I really plan these things a lot, with tons of details (because once you're on your way, that's it), but I like to go higher than expected and then act conservative with fuel spending. I often end up with like 3 km/s left.

Kron 6 should have something like 15 km/s when fully fueled in low Kerbin orbit. Granted, some of its parts will be left behind like the Knugen lander and the station. As with all Kron ships, that means an increase in total delta v. It can all be calculated in advance, but ain't nobody got time fo dat.

What would happen if you ran out of fuel during a Kron mission? Would you lauch a rescue mission? Or maybe just abandon the ship and pretend it never happened?

Edited by Elowiny

1 hour ago, Elowiny said:

What would happen if you ran out of fuel during a Kron mission? Would you lauch a rescue mission? Or maybe just abandon the ship and pretend it never happened?

They would be put to cryostasis and the Ministry would launch an autonomous rescue vessel with higher TWR and possibly ISRU (because I don't expect it to happen anytime before getting back to Kerbin - running out of sufficient fuel quantities for braking is a plausible scenario). No Kerbal was left behind for years.

Stranded Kerbals on Plock - chances for that are close to zero, unless actual destruction of the ship occurs.

Edited by lajoswinkler

18 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

They would be put to cryostasis and the Ministry would launch an autonomous rescue vessel with higher TWR and possibly ISRU (because I don't expect it to happen anytime before getting back to Kerbin - running out of sufficient fuel quantities for braking is a plausible scenario). No Kerbal was left behind for years.

Stranded Kerbals on Plock - chances for that are close to zero, unless actual destruction of the ship occurs.

Good to know you're not like me and actually care about your Kerbals!

Also, do you plan to add anomalies like you did for the Urlum mission? (The big yellow sphere on Wal)

13 minutes ago, Elowiny said:

Good to know you're not like me and actually care about your Kerbals!

Also, do you plan to add anomalies like you did for the Urlum mission? (The big yellow sphere on Wal)

Pls no kill Kerbals.

I never gave it a serious thought, but I should. It might happen.

23 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Pls no kill Kerbals.

I never gave it a serious thought, but I should. It might happen.

What if you edited Plock's or another body's heightmap and colormap to add something really, really big ? Or maybe, install Interstellar extended, throw a ship together with the fancy futuristic parts, and crash it on a minor moon so the kerbals can discover it!

Edited by Elowiny

34 minutes ago, Elowiny said:

What if you edited Plock's or another body's heightmap and colormap to add something really, really big ? Or maybe, install Interstellar extended, throw a ship together with the fancy futuristic parts, and crash it on a minor moon so the kerbals can discover it!

I'd rather not change the actual planetary bodies, but the second idea is something I've been thinking about. It would indeed have to be something special. I'll think about it some more.

5 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

I'd rather not change the actual planetary bodies, but the second idea is something I've been thinking about. It would indeed have to be something special. I'll think about it some more.

Good luck! I'm really hyped for the departure of Kron 6 towards Plock!

Edited by Elowiny

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.