[1.3.0] Filter Extensions 3.0.4 (Jul 11)

Crzyrndm

I appreciate the addon, but I think noticed a problem. I can't seem to make an config for ATM (Active Texture Management) to exempt Filter Extension's icons from getting a mipmap generated or being downscaled. This results blurry icons.

I suspect this may be a consequence of the fact that the folder names "Filter Extensions" and "000_Configs and Icons" have spaces in their names that maybe ATM configs can't handle. Could we perhaps get the next version of this addon without any spaces in pathnames?

My ATM configs that failed to sharpen icons for Filter Extensions were as follows:

Attempt #1:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = 000_Configs and Icons
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
000_Configs and Icons/Icons/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

Attempt #2:

{
folder = Filter Extensions
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
000_Configs and Icons/Icons/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

EDIT: Okay so I realized the folder in question is basically just a bunch of configs and probably isn't expected to be hardcoded as far as Filter Extensions is concerned, so I tried renaming "000_Configs and Icons" to "000_Configs_and_Icons" and that DOES work. I'd still suggest making future releases avoid spaces so that it won't need to be renamed every time when we want to make it ATM compatible. (Especially if you ever plan to add this to CKAN.)

Edited by Entropius

Yup, I basically guessed as much and tried that right before I saw your reply. Works great now. So yeah, spaces in names do appear to break ATM-config files within the override block, although the line of the config with “folder = blahblahblah†seems to tolerate the space in “Filter Extensions†for whatever reason.

So removing the spaces in future versions from "000_Configs and Icons" is needed for ATM. And if you ever plan for the folder “Filter Extensions†to have icons someday, you should consider removing the space from that folder name too, especially if you plan to eventually add this to CKAN (which I'd endorse by the way).

Yup, I basically guessed as much and tried that right before I saw your reply. Works great now. So yeah, spaces in names do appear to break ATM-config files within the override block, although the line of the config with “folder = blahblahblah†seems to tolerate the space in “Filter Extensions†for whatever reason.

So removing the spaces in future versions from "000_Configs and Icons" is needed for ATM. And if you ever plan for the folder “Filter Extensions†to have icons someday, you should consider removing the space from that folder name too, especially if you plan to eventually add this to CKAN (which I'd endorse by the way).

Mmm, I have ATM and have no problems with icons being blurry, maybe it's because I don't have it on agressive. However I support the naming suggestions and also CKAN integration.

Regarding filters and cfg. I think we have already too many. I will create new main categories and include the already created subategories (good work btw) in them for clarity. Similar to the way PC worked in the past.

I was thinking in one for engines (different propellant variants), one for electrical related (generators, batteries, solar panels) and one for ground elements (legs, wheels, landing gears, chutes). Any other suggestion on this issue?

I will also make a cfg for chutes because if people doesn't have realchutes installed they will not see that subcategory, which is a pity. Those are my plans for today

- - - Updated - - -

PS

Unless something crops up, updating is probably going to slow a bit. There's only so much to be achieved with a single plugin of this sort ;)

Only things that I miss right now are a check so no empty categories/subcatefg are shown and maybe a search box.

For the first issue I will try to have a look ate the cfg and try to MM the best way I could to simulate that. I'll see can I do.

For the second...my programming abilities are a little rusty so, while I may have a look at how it could be done I don't expect much advance on my side.

I finished the configs for most of my mods. (Thanks for the awesome icons) Due to the fact that it is unbelieveable easy to write them, I don't think that there is any need for an upload, right?

Btw. building ships is fun again because of Crzyrndm and the other guys that are helping him!

Big Thank You!!!

Mmm, I have ATM and have no problems with icons being blurry, maybe it's because I don't have it on agressive. However I support the naming suggestions and also CKAN integration.

I don't run with the aggressive version of ATM. I think the cause is actually a either (1) reduced monitor resolution and (2) reduced KSP texture resolution, combined with ATM's mipmap's being allowed. If you run everything at full texture (and monitor?) resolution your icons aren't going to be rescaled nor need mipmaps. At least that's what I think is going on.

Could be. 1920x1080 here :P.

Anyway I think Crzyrndm has already fix this for next release and names will not have spaces. Regarding the name of the icons themself, not much I can do. If other mods have spaces I have to keep them for the autoloader.

Big Thank You!!!

No problem

I don't run with the aggressive version of ATM. I think the cause is actually a either (1) reduced monitor resolution and (2) reduced KSP texture resolution, combined with ATM's mipmap's being allowed. If you run everything at full texture (and monitor?) resolution your icons aren't going to be rescaled nor need mipmaps. At least that's what I think is going on.
Could be. 1920x1080 here :P.

Anyway I think Crzyrndm has already fix this for next release and names will not have spaces. Regarding the name of the icons themself, not much I can do. If other mods have spaces I have to keep them for the autoloader.

Yea, the folder structure is being altered entirely for the next release because of this (and I've included an ATM config which hopefully works. I don't get the blurry icons either so testing that is a little difficult).

For those who want to know what the blurry icons look like here's an example:

WGPiBG1.png

In particular, notice what happens to any text inside the icons. Sometimes it's illegible, and other times nearly non-existent. If I recall correctly I'm running with KSP set to half-res textures & 1600x1000.

For the config that I use to make all my icons stay pretty:

{
folder = FerramAerospaceResearch
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
FerramAerospaceResearch/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

{
folder = KerbalEngineer
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
KerbalEngineer/Textures/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

{
folder = KerbalScienceFoundation
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
KerbalScienceFoundation/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

{
folder = Chatterer
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
Chatterer/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

{
folder = NavyFish
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
NavyFish/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

{
folder = ActionGroupManager
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
ActionGroupManager/ToolbarIcons/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

{
folder = Trajectories
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
Trajectories/Textures/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

{
folder = Squad
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
Squad/Contracts/Icons/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

{
folder = DeadlyReentry
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
DeadlyReentry/Assets/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

{
folder = EditorExtensions
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
EditorExtensions/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

{
folder = Filter Extensions
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
000_Configs_and_Icons/Icons/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

Edited by Entropius
modified the KER override to not affect parts, only icons. (Historically would just delete my KER parts)

Hi Crzyrndm, I'm trying out your mod and I'm really liking it! I'm an organization junky and this helps alleviate my OCD LOL. I have some suggestions to make, sorry if they were mentioned before, after briefly looking through 10 pages of your thread I have not found them.

1. Is it possible to add new subcategories in the 5 main stock categories lists? I would like to see an additional button under the add custom category called "add custom subcategory". If not, is it possible to somehow reorganize the stock layouts easily?

2. Next suggestion, is it possible to put one item in multiple subcategories at the same time? If I wanted to place a single monopropellent tank in 3 different subcategories, I have currently have to do that 3 different times. All the category/subcategory are already listed there, it would be so much easier to just check all the boxes I want and add to them all at one click.

3. Last suggestion, I like my lists organized in a particular fashion. Its frustrating when I realize I need to add a new category but if I do its out of place on the main/sub list. Is it possible to be able to reorganize or rearrange the custom categories and subcategories? I think drag and drop would be nice but somehow don't think that is doable.

Thank you so very much for the mod, I like it very much.

1) All Filter by Function configs are already using this, the rest should be referencable the same way. To specify a category to add your subCategory to, you just change the category name in the config.

2) I assume you're refering to stocks abomination of a part assignment tool which I am going to avoid like the plague. The fastest way to add parts to a "stock" custom category is to pull the part into the editor and then clone it as many times as needed and drop it in any subCategory you wish to have it in. All categories created by this mod use defined filters to decide which parts to show and do not support adding parts by hand.

3) I can re-arrange them easily enough. The problem becomes one of persistence and creating a syntax that allows it to be done in a sensible fashion.

For now, I would suggest creating an empty category and grouping subCategories that way (you'll need to grab the .dll off github to do that though, I just resolved a bug that was preventing blank categories from working)

Edited by Crzyrndm

Hi Crzyrndm, I'm trying out your mod and I'm really liking it! I'm an organization junky and this helps alleviate my OCD LOL. I have some suggestions to make, sorry if they were mentioned before, after briefly looking through 10 pages of your thread I have not found them.

1. Is it possible to add new subcategories in the 5 main stock categories lists? I would like to see an additional button under the add custom category called "add custom subcategory". If not, is it possible to somehow reorganize the stock layouts easily?

2. Next suggestion, is it possible to put one item in multiple subcategories at the same time? If I wanted to place a single monopropellent tank in 3 different subcategories, I have currently have to do that 3 different times. All the category/subcategory are already listed there, it would be so much easier to just check all the boxes I want and add to them all at one click.

Right now they are created using cfg files. Not by hand. Should be pretty easy to do that using those files, but you will need to edit the filter by hand.

3. Last suggestion, I like my lists organized in a particular fashion. Its frustrating when I realize I need to add a new category but if I do its out of place on the main/sub list. Is it possible to be able to reorganize or rearrange the custom categories and subcategories? I think drag and drop would be nice but somehow don't think that is doable.

Thank you so very much for the mod, I like it very much.

You can rename the filter to start with numbers. They loaded in the same order they read by the plugin, so if you rename them they are loaded in a different order. Be careful, however when you install new releases.

Edited by KaiserSoze

2) I assume you're refering to stocks abomination of a part assignment tool which I am going to avoid like the plague. The fastest way to add parts to a "stock" custom category is to pull the part into the editor and then clone it as many times as needed and drop it in any subCategory you wish to have it in. All categories created by this mod use defined filters to decide which parts to show and do not support adding parts by hand.

I'm a bit confused by what you said by pulling parts into the editor. I don't know what editor you mean, is there a feature I'm not seeing?

Right now they are created using cfg files. Not by hand. Should be pretty easy to do that using those files, but you will need to edit the filter by hand.

You can rename the filter to start with numbers. They loaded in the same order they read by the plugin, so if you rename them they are loaded in a different order. Be careful, however when you install new releases.

Thank you for the clarification, also thanks for the tip about renaming with numbers. So I take it you start a custom category with 1. then 2. and so on and so forth?

well, if you go to the config folder of the mod, you will the the cfg files. If you see, they are named in the same order they are loaded by the game. So if you rename them the way you prefer it should be reorder in the game once you reload it (need to restrat ksp to reload)

I play using toadicus's AntennaRange mod, which (among other things) replaces DataTransmitters with LimitedDataTransmitters. This prevented the DataTransmitter Filter by Function category from showing up, so I made a new Filter in that subcategory to catch the new transmitter type (and I've made a pull request to that effect on GitHub). Hunky-dory so far.

The problem is that I can't seem to change the icon in the LimitedDataTransmitters subcategory in the filter-by-module category. Am I missing something?

SUBCATEGORY
{
category = Filter by Module
title = Limited Data Transmitter
oldTitle = Limited Data Transmitter
icon = R&D_node_icon_advunmanned
}

I'm having the same issue with the ConnectedLivingSpace mod -- it creates a new module type, and I can't seem to change its icon (or its title, for that matter -- even when I tell it "title = FOOBAR", nothing seems to change).

I play using toadicus's AntennaRange mod, which (among other things) replaces DataTransmitters with LimitedDataTransmitters. This prevented the DataTransmitter Filter by Function category from showing up, so I made a new Filter in that subcategory to catch the new transmitter type (and I've made a pull request to that effect on GitHub). Hunky-dory so far.

The problem is that I can't seem to change the icon in the LimitedDataTransmitters subcategory in the filter-by-module category. Am I missing something?

SUBCATEGORY
{
category = Filter by Module
title = Limited Data Transmitter
oldTitle = Limited Data Transmitter
icon = R&D_node_icon_advunmanned
}

I'm having the same issue with the ConnectedLivingSpace mod -- it creates a new module type, and I can't seem to change its icon (or its title, for that matter -- even when I tell it "title = FOOBAR", nothing seems to change).

Seems to be a bug with that and with resource icons. Once its fixed you will not need even a cfg file. Just to rename the icon with the same name as the partmodule.

v1.10 released

• Resolved issue with non-mod type categories causing a crash (Github issue #8)
  • Resolved problem with icon loader causing '?' icons to be shown for some subCategories (Github issue #10)
  • Texture replacer bug with null textures fixed - Github user: Ducakar
  • More amazing icons from KaiserSoze
  • Antenna range mod support - Kerb-ad-astra
  • Cleaned up the Filter by Function subcategories and re-ordered the engine categories to be on top of the list

Seems to be a bug with that and with resource icons. Once its fixed you will not need even a cfg file. Just to rename the icon with the same name as the partmodule.

Should be working as expected with 1.10, There was a slight typo in the icon generator that I didn't catch (I'm not even sure how it was working up until now :/)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a bit confused by what you said by pulling parts into the editor. I don't know what editor you mean, is there a feature I'm not seeing?

Thank you for the clarification, also thanks for the tip about renaming with numbers. So I take it you start a custom category with 1. then 2. and so on and so forth?

1) Place a part in the editor as if starting a ship => clone the part (using alt + click) => drop it in the appropriate Squad "custom" category => repeat as required

2) Name the configs starting with numbers (see 1.10 filter by function configs for an example), not anything inside the cfg file.

The numeric naming scheme well and truly resolves the problem of ordering which I've been stumped on for a while...

Edited by Crzyrndm

Oh, Okay I get it now...lol...derp! Thank you. I would like to say your v1.10 actually accomplished most of what I was trying to do. The new filters on the 'filter by function' is in much better shape than before. Great improvement, it really cut back the amount of organizational detail work I was going to put into my filters.

I have one further question. I was a bit confused by the location of the saved cfg files for custom filters. I thought it was located within your mod. I deleted all the old mod folders (000 config and icons, filter extentions) and thought it would reset in any new games. But the old custom filters still showed up. I then looked in every directory within KSP and then finally found them in the parts list in the squad folder. Is it possible to just delete this file so a new one will be regenerated? For now I'm just going to manually delete everything and start over.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out and for the work you put into this mod.

I have one further question. I was a bit confused by the location of the saved cfg files for custom filters. I thought it was located within your mod. I deleted all the old mod folders (000 config and icons, filter extentions) and thought it would reset in any new games. But the old custom filters still showed up. I then looked in every directory within KSP and then finally found them in the parts list in the squad folder.

Just delete it. I have no idea how it ended up there :/

Should be working as expected with 1.10, There was a slight typo in the icon generator that I didn't catch (I'm not even sure how it was working up until now :/)

Still no go on my end. I tried giving the CLS subcategory the "CargoBay" icon, and then I tried removing both configs and duplicating the DataTransmitter icons into LimitedDataTransmitter icons, but the CLS and LDT filter-by-module icons still show up as question marks. Am I missing something?

(Also, the ion engine category seems to have vanished -- I'm not seeing a config for it in 1.10.)