Beginner Contract fustrations

Ok, so I've finally started career mode and I'm committed to doing it all properly. The only thing is these contracts are driving me insane. I complete all the per-requisites and they still don't fire. It's starting to get really annoying.

I've done some reading on the forums. I know about the blue tick, and about having to stage the test part when the conditions are met.

I know about usuing the test part option from the radial menu, if that's what the contract specifies.

I also know about some other intricate details after having another problem and trawling the forums for a while, such as having to use the test part as the FIRST use of it when conditions are met.

This was because I was having a problem with testing boosters. I would use one booster to get to the right altitude for the test, decouple it and then activate the second one for the contract which doesn't work for some reason. I managed to get around that one eventually by building an elaborate rocket, which I think is unnecessary in this situation.

But I digress, the problem I'm having now is with testing the TT-70 Radial De-couplers. I have two contracts, one for testing while landed, the other while splashed down. I've tried both and they don't work. At first I thought it was because the part was experimental. I used some science to unlock the part and tried again. Still nothing.

What on earth am I doing wrong? This problem does not seem logical and I'm getting very frustrated trying to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated so that I can begin to enjoy career mode and stop hating it.

As you said before:

Activate the to test part when the conditions are met, not before!

Witch means:

KSP is counting not every stage, but the first one with the to tested part. If you use a booster - witch already is the test subject - to lift your craft to an altitude and speed to meet the test conditions, you have already activated it for KSP under the wrong conditions --> test failed.

For a "landed" test subject: You have to activate it on the lauchpad/runway. You simply put an extra stage as first stage for the to tested part on your craft. That's it!

I'm with Wanderfound here, it sounds like you are misunderstanding something in the fundamentals of how the process is supposed to work but without a clearer demonstration of the steps you're taking it's impossible to give any sort of answer that isn't either too broad to be worthwhile or else presumes a significant degree of noobness (which may or may not apply). Make a little demo of what you're doing with a few screenshots and the answer will probably become clear to those of us who know. That, or we'll tell u to submit a bug report and go on to the next problem :)

I like to just activate the booster using the right click menu, then press the stage button when conditions are met.

When multiple boosters are needed simultaneously, for bigger craft then you need action groups to do this (so at least a lvl 2 vab)

As you said before:

Activate the to test part when the conditions are met, not before!

Witch means:

KSP is counting not every stage, but the first one with the to tested part. If you use a booster - witch already is the test subject - to lift your craft to an altitude and speed to meet the test conditions, you have already activated it for KSP under the wrong conditions --> test failed.

This is not correct, at least not always. When I had to test a booster on a sub-orbital trajectory last week all I did was put a probe core on the booster, fire it and restage it (or I used the Run test option in the righ-click menu, not entirely sure on that) when at the correct height to complete the contract.

From my experience KSP only checks if the part is activated when all conditions are met, it doesn`t care what happens before.

From MY experience, this is total hokum. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I`m glad to make you happy then ;)

I don`t know how to embed an imbur album so you get a link here:

http://imgur.com/a/Tg6j7

1st picture is my test rocket for the contract you see. Just a probe core, tank and the engine that should be tested in flight.

2nd picture shows restaging once i`m past the required height. My restaging skills weren`t fast enough to make it in that small time frame I had so I did the test on the way back.

3rd picture shows completed contract after staging the engine a second time.

I`m glad to make you happy then ;)

I don`t know how to embed an imbur album so you get a link here:

http://imgur.com/a/Tg6j7

1st picture is my test rocket for the contract you see. Just a probe core, tank and the engine that should be tested in flight.

2nd picture shows restaging once i`m past the required height. My restaging skills weren`t fast enough to make it in that small time frame I had so I did the test on the way back.

3rd picture shows completed contract after staging the engine a second time.

Fascinating.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.