Go fly a kite

Go fly a kite

So I was looking for a way to have a remote drone that could launch and return to a vehicle. Landing a VTOL on a docking port is a nightmare. And then I saw a guy who posted a history of aviation KSP style, and I was reading on Wikipedia about the history of aviation starting with kite flying... and naturally, I had the brainfart... fly a kite. Funny how a lot of mostly unrelated crap comes together in KSP.

While this didn't solve my drone problem, I did find it an interesting diversion, one that has given me several ideas for other uses. I thought I'd share those ideas with you in the form of a challenge.

Obviously, for this you'll need KAS. I know of no other way to tether two objects together on a 'kite string'

Your challenge is to create a 'kite'.

That kite must be tethered to the ground or an object on the ground on Kerbin.

You must fully extend the KAS winch (50 meters).

Your kite must stay aloft (not touching the ground) for at least 2 minutes and be stable.

Since there is no 'wind' on Kerbin, you may generate your own wind as you see fit.

Easy mode: Use four or more KAS winches.

Hard mode: Use two KAS winches.

Impossible mode: Use only one KAS winch (actually, I'm pretty sure it's doable, but not easy).

You may use any mods (within reason) you feel will make your kite fly better.

No 'cheating' as in hacking gravity!

And to prove it's possible, here's a real quick video of me flying a double kite...

I recall doing something similar a long time ago, but blowing on my kite with the thrust of mainsails rather than giving it its own power.

I love kite flying, might give this a go in a while.

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, when there's no wind you have to run along and pull your kite, so that's what I did. It's a Russian kite, you don't steer the kite, the kite steers you and you have to turn the vehicle to stay roughly underneath it as it seemingly goes wherever it feels like. I was up on a single string for 3 mins before it lead me into the water.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Edit - I think a traditional kite may be possible, it just has to have enough lift for its self but not enough for the Kerbal as well who only weighs an extra 0.09T - a fine line I haven't been able to get to so far.

Edited by Darren9

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, when there's no wind you have to run along and pull your kite, so that's what I did. It's a Russian kite, you don't steer the kite, the kite steers you and you have to turn the vehicle to stay roughly underneath it as it seemingly goes wherever it feels like. I was up on a single string for 3 mins before it lead me into the water.

http://imgur.com/a/QhWTS

Edit - I think a traditional kite may be possible, it just has to have enough lift for its self but not enough for the Kerbal as well who only weighs an extra 0.09T - a fine line I haven't been able to get to so far.

http://youtu.be/RnGLedt3nnk

LOL, exactly Darren. It's a kite. And a more realistic one that mine.

I will be trying this! Probably gonna make a small contraptuon out of tiny wings and pull it with a car or kerbal. I will also try to have a kerbal ride it! Or... Maybe I could put a Kerbal on a wing machine towed behind a boat... So many possibilities!

Edited by Wabbit

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.