[0.90] ADIOS Tech Tree - V.15 - 12-03-2015

Arachnidek

I started playing ADIOS last weekend and was quite pleased with the feeling of directed development. I liked how it is possible to choose from atmospheric or orbital science, instead of the boring "next" available node.

I have a small comment on balancing though.

I am also playing with RemoteTech and the RemoteTech custom contracts, and I've found it harder than usual to reach an orbital network about Kerbin. The main reason for that is that it sort-of requires a dish to link satellites at each other and KSC (at least it is a requirement of the custom contract), and the first (DTS-M1) was at 100 science (so it needs unlocking the tier 2 of R&D center).

This is just as much RemoteTech's fault for not having a low-tech dish at ~10-20Mm (so keosynchronous is okay but Mun/minmus are too far), but as far as I am concerned, I'd find it easier if the Communotron 32 and the DTS-M1 were exchanged.

This is but a minor flaw, and I'm already grateful for having such a large tree worth my science. Keep up the good work!

I have a small comment on balancing though.

I am also playing with RemoteTech and the RemoteTech custom contracts, and I've found it harder than usual to reach an orbital network about Kerbin. The main reason for that is that it sort-of requires a dish to link satellites at each other and KSC (at least it is a requirement of the custom contract), and the first (DTS-M1) was at 100 science (so it needs unlocking the tier 2 of R&D center).

This is just as much RemoteTech's fault for not having a low-tech dish at ~10-20Mm (so keosynchronous is okay but Mun/minmus are too far), but as far as I am concerned, I'd find it easier if the Communotron 32 and the DTS-M1 were exchanged.

This is but a minor flaw, and I'm already grateful for having such a large tree worth my science. Keep up the good work!

I agree.

There are a few other issues I've had with it also. It seems like a few of the nodes don't quite follow a logical pattern in developement.

For example, you have solar panels unlocked before batteries... and docking ports are unlocked before I can get a standard 1.25 decoupler. It just seems I'm forever reaching for things that, normally with other trees I've played, were available sooner in the tree. I don't know if this is by design, because I will say this tree is quite challenging.

That being said, I also enjoy the feeling of "directed development". It's a challenging tree, and some of the nodes have me scratching my head, but I am having fun playing it.

Thanks for sharing the tree with the community.

Edit: Have you made tech trees before, or is this your first? I seem to recall playing a FANTASTIC tree last year at this time. I can't remember the creator, but it seems like it was similiar to your name.

Edited by True Incompetence
addition

V.11 released. If anyone is updating from a previous version of ADIOS it is recommended to have a clean install for V11. The main reason for this is the changes made to the contract system and part placement at the beginning of the tech tree. If you just copy over the previous version you might get bugs/missing parts/errors.

------ V.11 - 13-02-2015 -----

- Added Contract Configurator to necessary mods (!!!)

- Added KASA IXS support

- Added Mark IV Spaceplane System support

- Added Aviation Lights support

- Added Adjustable Landing Gear support

- Added Boxsat support

- Added Kerbal Aircraft Extension support

- Added KKp Moar Kerbals support

- Added LV-N Nuclear Engine Clusters support

- Added Xenon++ support

- Added Stock Extension support

- Added Stockalike Station Parts support

- Added Procedural Wings support

- Added Remote Tech Contract Pack support

- Added ScanSat Contract Pack support

- Added Contract Pack: Anomaly Surveyor support

- Added Chaka Monkey support

- Added Low Profile Misc Engines support

- Added Circular Solar Panel support

- Added FantomWorks KAX Part Pack support

- Added B9 Style Shuttle Wings support

- Added Tarsier Space Tech support

- Fixed Mechjeb unlocks placement (new config file in adios folder)

- Fixed the annoying entry contract bug ( Thanks Yemo !!! )

- Kerbal Engineer Redux update to v1.0.15.2

- Extraplanetary Launchpads update to v5.1.0

- Warp Drive update to 0.1.2

- Divided the tech tree to unmanned and manned start version (choice in techmanager) - huge Thank You to Yemo for fixing that annoying starting contract bug

- Added Adios Initial Contracts based on Initial Contracts mod by Yemo

@True Incompetence

Batteries start from the Electrics node (35 RP). As for the reason for batteries being so "high" is simple - challenge :) It's very easy to put bigger batteries on a rocket and forget about the smaller ones. This way forces player to use either more solar panels to fill that energy bar or to use more batteries for longer energy bar "endurance". I want the player to have some tough choices like "should i get bigger batteries or bigger tanks or better antennas". Also i want to restrict the player from making a full satellite coverage of the planet to early in the game. You can do it but you have to be prepared to exchange those satellites in the near future when you unlock some bigger/better dishes/solar panels/batteries.

There were some other difficult choices i had to make for example: Propellors are after jet engines. It looks silly but the reason is that there aren't any propellors in stock or in my highly recommended mods. If i left propellors before jet engines and someone played with only the recommended mods, that player would get an empty node that he has to pay for and doesn't get anything in return. I want to avoid that. Currently if someone has only the recommended mods that node won't even appear in his tech tree.

@donpuccino

There is going to be some rebalancing done quite soon (V.13 or V.14 we'll see). Right now i'm concentrating on additional mod support and contract expansion. There is still a lot of work to be done with this mod :)

Edited by Arachnidek

I just wanted to drop a line and say that I love the direction this mod is taking. I am not currently using it, but am looking forward to when it is fully balanced out and I can start a fresh new career in 1.0 with this as my tech tree. Thank for contributing to this great game.

Yeah, ran into this, just remove techmanager and then update ADIOS.

@Arachnidek: How about a flight - unmanned -manned line of tech tree? I know you just added the unmanned to manned option. This would also allow props to be before jet engines, as long as you noted Firespitter (or similar) is required for it... Besides being realistic.

I actually got the same problem...

Yeah, I guess the only solution as of now until this gets fixed is to give yourself 30 science at the beginning when you make the save (and money if you play with entry purchase) and research the necessary ones.

@Arachnidek:

Nightingale responded to your null error reports in the SETI-BalanceMod thread.

Basically the errors are harmless and will be fixed on the Contract Configurator side.

If you replace minAltitude with Altitude, the errors disappear, because the contract parameter gets disabled.

I recommend shifting back to the "InitialContracts" form for the next release.

Thank you for the report!

Umm... So I downloaded this mod for the unmanned tech tree and it only starts me with a fuel tank, an engine, and a parachute. Where is the unmanned probes? I need help :kiss:

Your missing Nova Punch 2, it adds the unmanned core (M-38 unoccupied guidance system) that you need at start.

Edited by McyD

Your missing Nova Punch 2, it adds the unmanned core (M-38 unoccupied guidance system) that you need at start.

Well wouldn't it make sense to add it to the "Required Mods" list then.

Other than that, this is one of the best mods I've stumbled upon :) The career mode progression is spot on perfection.

Well wouldn't it make sense to add it to the "Required Mods" list then.

Other than that, this is one of the best mods I've stumbled upon :) The career mode progression is spot on perfection.

Probably should be; but remember, Un-manned tech tree was just added yesterday.

On a side note. If I am not mistaken the Contracts, (tech testing ones) are linked to the tech tree right? Ie testing contracts usually shows recently unlocked or next level unlocks. If so they are in desperate need of attention as I am seeing a ton of contracts I can't do in the beginning, as the tech given is so different from what is expected, making many of the missions impossible. Such as after my third flight, create a satellite network contract, when I am no where near unlocking most of the parts required to complete it.

I'm starting with the unmanned tree and can't get the altitude contracts to complete. I've gone over 5000 km, but the contract says incomplete. The launch new vessel contract worked fine.

I'm using all required mods and most of the recommended mods.

I'm finding that I can't run all of the "highly recommended" mods without running out of memory, even with the aggressive active texture manager. Any suggestions on which of the part packs would be best to leave out?

I had this problem myself earlier. One option is to use OpenGL (only recommended with NVIDIA cards). If you simply google kerbal space program opengl there are several forum posts as well as youtube videos outlining how to go about this. Essentially cuts memory usage in half, but increases cpu load.

I had this problem myself earlier. One option is to use OpenGL (only recommended with NVIDIA cards). If you simply google kerbal space program opengl there are several forum posts as well as youtube videos outlining how to go about this. Essentially cuts memory usage in half, but increases cpu load.

I use 64 bit KSP on 64 bit Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) with all above mods and even more no problem at all. And it runs much faster than under windows. You can use an USB stick or a partition for this.

I highly recommend this for a very smooth experience

I have been using Windows 32 bit before, I will never go back!

Edited by Parmenides

+1 for Linux 64 bit. Last week I got hold of a copy of Ubuntu and the installation could not have been easier and the game runs great now. I can't be bothered to learn to use Linux as my everyday OS so I chose the option to dualboot, it's easy, do it!

V12 released.

V.12 is only a hotfix for the unmanned version of the tech tree. If you are playing manned V.11 there is no need to update.

Changes:

------ V.12 - 15-02-2015 ----- Contract Hotfix

- Unmanned Contracts hotfix

- Fully integrated Initial Contracts by Yemo

- Added a starting probe for those who don't want to play with Novapunch - i know it's ugly but for now it'll do. It's only for the first few launches anyway and i'll change the model sooner or later.

- Moved NP unmanned probe from start to jebscavenge node.

Anyone else having issue with even a basic decoupler being to far down the tech line? Seems a bit impossible to put a satellite in orbit, let alone anything else, without building some monstrosity of a rocket, due to a lack of staging. Three games now trying this tech tree, and I find myself stuck as I cannot complete any contracts as the tech tree progresses slower than the contracts are calling for.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.