New to KSP

Ace Jammer

Hello fellow KSP enthusiasts. My first time posting here so on with the adventure. I just started KSP 2 days ago and been having a blast, literally. A few minor things that were a bit frustrating, but will get over it in time. This will not distract me from enjoying such a cool intensive game that challenges the mind. Something that lacks with so many games today. I would like to ask about some of the better mods for this game and recommendations for such. Is there a plan for interstellar travel in the future? Thanks

Howdy. :)

There's an interstellar mod, but I wouldn't expect to see anything like it in the stock game. KSP aims to be a realistic-ish spaceflight game, not SF.

Unfortunately, Einstein was right: FTL is not something that is realistically achievable within our current understanding of the universe. Interstellar travel in human (or Kerbal) timescales is not practical without it.

But there's plenty of fun to be had within the Kerbol system, so it ain't a problem.

As for mods, well, that depends a lot upon what sort of game you want to play, and how much difficulty/complexity you want to deal with. But this is my current list:

AKI's Modified IVA

Antenna Range

ALCOR landing capsule + ASET props

Aviation Lights

Better Buoyancy

Chatterer

Contracts Window +

Distant Object Enhancement

Enhanced Navball

Environmental Visual Enhancements

FAR

Firespitter (dll only)

Goodspeed

Hyomoto's MFD

Raster Prop Monitor

Kerbal Attachment System

Kerbal Flight Data

Kerbal Flight Indicators

Kerbal Science Foundation's Mk3 Cockpit internal

Hyperedit

Kerbinside/Kerbal Konstructs (all of it)

Kronal Vessel Viewer

Infernal Robotics

Mechjeb (w/FAR plugin and Mechjeb Embedded)

Final Frontier

Kerbal Pilot Assistant

Planetshine

RCS Build Aid

Realchute

Retro Future

Sane Strategies

Scansat

Stage Recovery

Station Science

Stock Bug Fix

TAC-LS

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Wernher Checker

Recommend that for now you learn how things work using stock in Sandbox, then try developing your own space program in standard career.

Kerbal Engineering will be a useful first mod for giving stats on your rocket both during construction and in flight. Chatterer, a totally useless mod, is most useful for creating background noise consistent with conducting a manned mission. You can safely add them to your original install.

When ready to play with the parts and game environment modifying mods, add them one at a time to a backup copy of the game. This is easily done by copying the entire game folder to a new location and creating a desktop icon to the KSP exe file. Unlike most other games, you are allowed to have as many copies of the game you want for your own personal use.

Thanks for the info. Currently playing around on a custom career KSP and find it quite intriguing. I have noticed a serious lack of landing gear for building aircraft. Kinda need it for take-off and landings, otherwise what is the use of an airstrip lol. I was reading up on the new 1.0 version releasing sometime in the future. I hope it contains much of the landing gear (wheels) that would help. I would like to build something similar to the space shuttle. That would be a fine edition to the numerous craft already in the hangar.

As far as mods go, I think it would best suit me to learn the mechanics of the game then venture out into all them numerous mods. Reminds me so much of Minecraft with all them texture packs, mods you name it. Thanks again.

Thanks for the response. I can use all the help tips and pointers to get the game moving along. Currently I have been busy playing a custom version of the career KSP. When I finally got my first character into orbit, I felt like I accomplished something big. To most that may be not a very big thing. But after a few tries I made. Now I have to go rescue my pilot that is stuck in orbit. Something to work on eventually. As far as mods go I think I may just wait until 1.0 is live then we'll see what needs to be added. Was curious about an interstellar mod that would allow us to venture to nearby star systems. Anyways thanks again for the help I will come in handy. Do you know any active teamspeak servers for KSP? I would greatly appreciate some imput concerning. Thanks

Hi everyone!

I'd be lying if I said I was new to KSP... I've logged over 300 hours over the last year and a half or so, but I AM new to the forum. Can't believe the name Star Lord was still available... Anyway, I'm super excited to try to contribute as a member of this community that's provided so much inadvertent support and success to me over my playing time. I've visited and landed on every planet and have pretty much finished career mode, but my latest project is creating an infrastructure system around the Kerbol system that allows a ship to go anywhere in the system as long as it can get into LKO. So basically just fuel... everywhere... Love this game so much!

Ace Jammer, welcome to the forums!

Researching the 'Landing' node on tier 5 of the tech tree unlocks the 'Small Gear Bay' which is currently the only wheeled landing gear in the stock game.

@Star Lord - Welcome to the forums, I hope you have a lot of fun here!