Recover a stranded capsule on the Mun

The challenge:

First, 'strand' yourself a stock capsule with NO chute, on the surface of the Mun (I do this easily by topping over my Munar Lander! it must just be a bare capsule with no attached RCS tanks/thrusters etc)

Now, the tough part: launch a 'rescue mission' that has to somehow pick up said stranded capsule, and lift it all the way back to Kerbin.

You can use any parts or mods you like (MechJeb recomended!), so long as you list them, and include screenshots or a video to show how you did it!

bonus points if you can actually land at KSC with your recovered capsule!

Joe 8)

grinning from already knowing this is actually rather a tough challenge -5 attempts zero success myself so far...

Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow and can\'t stay up for another 6h to do the Kerbin landing, but I did the rest.

Successful pod return by the 3-vehicle system ( lets just say that the armtruck crew hitched a ride on the munbucket okay?)

Used C7parts because launching the armtruck with vanilla would require slight effort.

Pictures, so many pictures:

ZmJka.jpg

Armtruck launch

TIVQw.jpg

Landing

CrKvt.jpg

Mun bucket coming in for landing

3Uduj.jpg

Landed just fine

2djeB.png

Pod 'crash'

boPpd.jpg

Pod captured by the armtruck

59PdH.png

Pod returned to the return stage

ptrd0.png

Ready for takeoff!

fZgJk.png

TKI

B059c.png

Map view

Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow and can\'t stay up for another 6h to do the Kerbin landing, but I did the rest.

Successful pod return by the 3-vehicle system ( lets just say that the armtruck crew hitched a ride on the munbucket okay?)

Used C7parts because launching the armtruck with vanilla would require slight effort.

Pictures, so many pictures:

ZmJka.jpg

Armtruck launch

TIVQw.jpg

Landing

CrKvt.jpg

Mun bucket coming in for landing

3Uduj.jpg

Landed just fine

2djeB.png

Pod 'crash'

boPpd.jpg

Pod captured by the armtruck

59PdH.png

Pod returned to the return stage

ptrd0.png

Ready for takeoff!

fZgJk.png

TKI

B059c.png

Map view

Oh wow.

Ah, what a coincidence!

I\'ve tried this just for fun about a week ago, and recorded it too.

Just uploaded it:

However, I used a chute on the command pod, and also I deleted the rescue vessel after using it, because it has no means to survive a reentry and land safely. (Popping out of existence is better than crashing into the planet ;) )

Does this still count? Maybe bonus points for no mods/plugins? :P

Wow that\'s really good! Also laughed about the fails and the cool rocket car, althrough it could need a pod painted like the Bearbus (google it!)...

Thank you! :)

Yeah a texture like that would be awesome!

Now that I think of it, there\'s a 'Decals' tab in the VAB. I wonder when will we be able to use that, and make silly-looking rockets. *Thinks of a vessel with 'Pizza delivery' painted on it\'s side. ;D*

Making radial signs or 'masks' that go over parts to change their look whould be soo easy...

WHY DID NOBODY DO SOME? WHY AM I SUCH A BLENDER NOOB? (Ok, pizza sign whould be possible, but the force is much easier to use for me than GIMP...)

Well Mr Fusion, I think you deserve a silver medal for that rescue and video, altho the capsule had it\'s chute attached (so could land itself assuming it was thrown into an aerobraking Kerbin orbit) - still, props to you, sir!

the Grand Prize is still up for grabs however* for the first person to safely return a \'chuteless capsule though!

My attempt #6 was going well last night until about 4 hours into the TKI burn, when everything just.... exploded all at once :o

I will persevere tho!

Joe 8)

* GRAND PRIZE: 8 hours in the simulator with Jeb

My computer MIGHT, be fixed tonight. If it is, I will bring out my space scooper and outfit it for mun landings to scoop up crafts. It\'s design holds the craft you are carrying snuggly even without the second craft having a parachute.

Would it be possible to have one ship to move the command module off the moon and into a highly elliptical Kerbin orbit, then send another craft to meet your module and slow it? This would save HOURS of waiting.

Indeedy TheDarkOne, and in fact, is probably the only viable mission scenario I think (shame my rendevous skills suck so much!)

I have found that rescue craft+capsule togther ALWAYS explode into itty bitty pieces when it changes SOI... I suspect a unity bug & will post it shortly. it looks like my stock scenario I outline for my challenge is fatally flawed by the game engine itself.... dammit!

Joe 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.