Jump to content

[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!


Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Aratoop said:

Hi! First time posting but I've long been a lurker of this thread. The introduction of the rotor parts allowed me to try my hand at reinventing the wheel to make something a bit worse, and I compiled a few screenshots of my efforts into this album (warning, all of the planes look terribly ugly).

https://imgur.com/a/HmmU5k5

The main problem I've encountered is that in shying from actually learning how to make a bearing that works I've subsequently limited the maximum length of the shaft before it starts to oscillate around in an unstable way till it starts to rotate in an entirely different plane (if the shaft droops too much and then droops more when rotating it gets pushed by the engines). I've tried making a crude bearing of sorts after the turbine section by using landing gear and a structural ring, but I've not found it to help in any case (even with having made sure the gear have "same vessel interaction" switched on). Here is an example of the kind of thing I have tried

  Reveal hidden contents

ZGnK0MA.png

Has anyone got any advice? Thanks :)

Also: That's an awesomely small plane klond! How did it handle?

I love it!

Takes me back almost 5 years, the pioneering stage of this topic. I can really see you're going through the same stages of development and you're showing talent.

Welcome to the club!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 12:41 AM, boomchacle said:

I've got a bit of advice. There's no reason to have the air intakes facing outwards, as an air intake facing forwards gets more air in it, and it also reduces the size of the engine to not have those with the engine itself. You can translate the jet engines outwards so you don't need to have struts directly connected to them, or you could translate them into the struts, whatever you prefer, as it'll make them more compact. Using DLC parts for spinning is actually less stable than legacy bearings, and legacy bearings are considered "better" for performance if you dont care about the extra part count, as they're lighter and can achieve ridiculous rpms, but if you dont want to do that, you wont have to.

That's a good point about the intakes- I'll have to play around with how many intakes:engine I actually need, thanks! Could you expand a bit more about where I would translate the jet engines from if I don't connect them onto those mounting struts? Using the translate tool in the hangar only moves them so far so I wouldn't be able to just move them from the mounting point of the engine, but I might just not be hitting the right key to move them as far as I would like to, lol. And you're definitely right about the bearings- though I'm absolutely not hitting the rpm limit on anything but the smallest engine design, my main issue is simply strength. Using the DLC bearing makes it easier to control the pitch of the blades what with their servo mounts (and is also a handy RPM gauge), so I was hoping I'd be able to get away with using the DLC part and then some simple roller bearings towards the front but my first forays into that didn't work well.

18 hours ago, Azimech said:

I love it!

Takes me back almost 5 years, the pioneering stage of this topic. I can really see you're going through the same stages of development and you're showing talent.

Welcome to the club!

OMG thank you!! I'm happy to be here haha :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 3:12 AM, Aratoop said:

That's a good point about the intakes- I'll have to play around with how many intakes:engine I actually need, thanks! Could you expand a bit more about where I would translate the jet engines from if I don't connect them onto those mounting struts? Using the translate tool in the hangar only moves them so far so I wouldn't be able to just move them from the mounting point of the engine, but I might just not be hitting the right key to move them as far as I would like to, lol. And you're definitely right about the bearings- though I'm absolutely not hitting the rpm limit on anything but the smallest engine design, my main issue is simply strength. Using the DLC bearing makes it easier to control the pitch of the blades what with their servo mounts (and is also a handy RPM gauge), so I was hoping I'd be able to get away with using the DLC part and then some simple roller bearings towards the front but my first forays into that didn't work well.

OMG thank you!! I'm happy to be here haha :D

Yeah sure, so essentially, I'd recommend you get Editor extensions redux, a mod which lets you place any part radially if you press T, but if you dont want to get any mods, just hold shift and use that to move the jet engines super far away, and move the struts to a place where they are not in view, and then move the jets back to where they were. It takes a bit of practice, but it's very powerful and very useful to get used to the translate and rotate tool. If you make it so the attachment mode is smooth, not angley, you can also rotate parts smoothly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

It seems there hasnt been a post in this topic in about a year, but im trying to get back into the game. I cant remember for the life of me which mod or game function allows the placement of multiple parts on the same node. Can anyone help me out?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

It seems there hasnt been a post in this topic in about a year, but im trying to get back into the game. I cant remember for the life of me which mod or game function allows the placement of multiple parts on the same node. Can anyone help me out?  

Was that ever a thing in stock?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

allows the placement of multiple parts on the same node

It is in the alt-F12 menu, under 'Cheats' as "Non-strict part attachment checks" 
[Edit: No, that is name that I always try first, because the name makes sense, but in fact the relevant option is "Part Clipping in Editors"]

Some people here say they find it convenient, but I've found I can build the bearings and such that I want without that option.  [Edit: And that's not true, either.  I remember I liked very much a bearing that I made using the Klaw, which has no attachment node on its active end, so I attached both the Klaw and the rotor to the same node.]

Edited by OHara
ach
Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...