[0.90] Lazor System v35 (Dec 17)

Romfarer

Romfarer, if you get a chance, could you do some heavy optimization of the laser system. I have one hell of a fast machine, but it still lags the **** out of it. I can have a hundred other mods installed and have no frame rate issues, but as soon as this is installed, 10fps or less even with a clean install of KSP

So, I'm trying out the robotic arms for welding together a space station. When I attempt to join the two parts I am told they are too far apart. However, they are as close as I can get them, that is pressing against one another very firmly and squarely. The parts are the aisle module from the large structural parts pack and the 2.5m battery from KSPX. Are there often welding issues with mod parts? Am I doing something wrong?

MjROqFH.jpg

I'm sorry this will undoubtedly be one of those annoying post but similar to others I don't get the laser menu that contains all of the subsystems and things. know you said to another that this was because it was incorrectly installed and to read the install read me which I did and all that says is put everything in the KSP root folder. I'm assuming that is the game data folder but I may be wrong, any ideas?

Cheers Will

The root folder of KSP is not GameData. You should copy the GameData folder from the zip into the root folder so the GameData folder overwrites the KSP GameData. It won't mess up anything with ksp because the plugin will then install itself into KSP_win/GameData/Romfarer....

Can the afterburner function be used reliably in space? For me, in vacuum, it seems to work only while the craft remains pointed in roughly the same direction it was flying while last in atmosphere.

The afterburner has a limitation that it can only work in the velocity direction. That's because it's meant to dump fuel onto the engines exhaust and have it explode. It may not be realistic i know but that's how it works. After all it does increase the thrust of the engines at proportional fuel increase. I could possibly add another "afterburner" that don't have that limitation, but i think that one should require more fuel to operate.

Does this still cause the red towers to explode rather than just disconnect on takeoff? :-)

no

Romfarer, if you get a chance, could you do some heavy optimization of the laser system. I have one hell of a fast machine, but it still lags the **** out of it. I can have a hundred other mods installed and have no frame rate issues, but as soon as this is installed, 10fps or less even with a clean install of KSP

Last time i counted, my mods are made up from over 14,000 lines of code. As much as i want to optimize i don't really know what is making it lag for you. For all i know it could be an exception that's causing it, miss configuration, compatibility issues with another mod, etc. If you can narrow it down it would be helpfull.

So, I'm trying out the robotic arms for welding together a space station. When I attempt to join the two parts I am told they are too far apart. However, they are as close as I can get them, that is pressing against one another very firmly and squarely. The parts are the aisle module from the large structural parts pack and the 2.5m battery from KSPX. Are there often welding issues with mod parts? Am I doing something wrong?

The algorithm for detecting how far apart two parts are may not be working for all cases. It depends on where the center of the transforms for the parts are, and how the colliders are aligned. So the issue might be that the mod part you are trying to weld is "bad". Does it work if you align the parts in a different way? And does this only seem to affect certain mod parts?

Edited by Romfarer

@ romfarer

Last time i counted, my mods are made up from over 14,000 lines of code. As much as i want to optimize i don't really know what is making it lag for you. For all i know it could be an exception that's causing it, miss configuration, compatibility issues with another mod, etc. If you can narrow it down it would be helpfull.

i made a clean install of ksp, the lagging only happens when the Lazor System mod is installed. i have tried all your other mods, and none of them cause frame rate issues.

if you want i could upload my output_log.txt somewhere?

The afterburner has a limitation that it can only work in the velocity direction. That's because it's meant to dump fuel onto the engines exhaust and have it explode. It may not be realistic i know but that's how it works. After all it does increase the thrust of the engines at proportional fuel increase. I could possibly add another "afterburner" that don't have that limitation, but i think that one should require more fuel to operate.

That would be cool, thanks for replying. Sometimes Jeb likes to thrust around in space at 50g and I like to accommodate him.

my output_log.txt is here

http://speedy.sh/sBWhS/output-log.txt

I hope this will fix the issue.

Thx

elind21

[Edit:] actually, fixed the problem myself. I remapped some of the Magic Smoke Industries attach nodes, and a craft within loading range ended up inside out. That probably explains why there are all the sound errors...

Edited by elind21

@elind21

I can't see anything in that log directly related to my plugins. The problem seems to be originating on a part module from Magic Smoke Industries and it's no wonder it's causing lag cause it is throwing exceptions all over the place, KSP exceptions mind you.

I installed the Lazor Cam (v3.0) yesterday. It's a neat toy to play with. I especially like that I get the freebie docking cam. I previously installed the Docking Cam, and it consistently crashed my game. This docking cam works perfectly.

I would like to activate/deactivate the Lazor Cam via action groups. Can I modify the .CFG file to do that? Or, better yet, please make changes to the mod to allow this. You may also wish to provide AG access to the Fix and Lock.

2013-09-08_2235.png Ok i must be retarded. What am i doing wrong with the tractor beam to try to tow that ship towards my station? It must be something simple and i searched through all 108 pages w/o something that helps so if any knows what i'm doing wrong i'd appreciate it. :)

edit: tweaked picture url

Edited by bwheatley

Hey, I just got this, awesome BTW. I have a slight problem tho. I have set my keybinding to the default one so i start engines with Middle mouse button. But when i put rockets from your mod on the plane and try to start the engines, the rockets fire. So i'm wondering how do i change that? I've tried assigning the rockets to Action group(s)

I'm trying to use the Buran arm to build a crane, to help build modular bases on other planets, and I've encountered a problem. It seems certain parts don't like to be grabbed by the arm, and they do some odd things when you try to set them down. Specifically, when you demagnetize the arm after grabbing something, quite often the piece you grabbed will pop right off the larger module, and will remain stuck on the end of the arm. Further, it's impossible to get the part off the arm. So I'm stuck with a module with missing pieces, and a crane that can't grab anything ever again.

In my pic, I'm trying to build a modular habitat, and am testing it on Kerbin. The structural fuselage has been stuck on the hab by the crane, but notice the docking port missing from the end, and notice it's still stuck to the arm.

JIIeyPM.png

@bwheatley

I think the problem here is the range you are trying to use the tractor beams at. They work by actually hitting the target you see, and at that range it would be a extremely small target.

@Millitron

Perhaps the problem here is that you are trying to grab a docking port. I never tested that scenario.

I thought of that, and I tried putting a decoupler between the docking port and the crane. In this situation, the docking port remains attached properly, but the decoupler is permanently stuck to the crane.

Which makes me think the problem has something to do with the docking. Maybe something about merging the vessels is confusing which parts belong to which vessel?

@bwheatley

I think the problem here is the range you are trying to use the tractor beams at. They work by actually hitting the target you see, and at that range it would be a extremely small target.

@Millitron

Perhaps the problem here is that you are trying to grab a docking port. I never tested that scenario.

Thanks Romfarer I eventually figured out i should be closer. And then realized the size of what i was trying to tow was MUCHHH bigger then the tow truck. :)

Also [Exception]: MissingFieldException: Field '.FlightGlobals.fetch' not found. any idea when you are going to fix that? I saw there was a bug post that you were fixing it but i'm still getting it with .21.1.

I'm trying not to bug just help. I find the lazor system to be pretty much a requirement now so to have to remove it would destroy my whole fleet and stations. Really nice work!

Hi, i just want to ask you guys about Dextre Canada's two armed ISS manipulator; i dont know what do you think but i wont to see it at Romfarer Robotic Arm Pack/// especially because Canada's Arm actually works together with Dextre/// - Dextre refueling mission))) lol

I can't get the lazorsystem popups to show up at all. Don't know if a log would catch that or not, or if I'm missing a plugin or something.

Found my issue, Dynamic Warp was interfering with it, and keeping it from operating.

Edited by Jivaii

• 2 weeks later...

I just updated the Lazor System to v30 from v29 and now I don't get any popup windows (worked in v29 but the window skins were missing). Is there something else I should be doing? Thanks.

Mods installed:

- Aviation Lights

- KAS

- FusTek

- MechJeb2

- NovaPunch2

- QuantumStruts

- CrewManifest

- Flags

- Romfarer Lazor System

- Romfarer Lazor Guided Weapons

- Romfarer HSTW Sunbeam

- Romfarer RoboticArmsPack

Reinstall JUST the romfarer.dll from the main download, somewhere along the line it seems one of the other spinoffs doesn't have the proper .dll. Rplacing the .dll with the one from the main lazor system download seems to fix it......

The romfarer.dll file for addons is the same as the one in the Lazor System itself. How does reinstalling it help?

Clearly the mod is working (activate, change color buttons, also I see the settings on the space center view), but no windows.

*edit * I just uninstalled ALL mods except for Lazor mods and the windows came back, but they STILL do not have any skin/texture behind them. What is going on with this mod?

* edit 2 * I fixed the problem. I re-verified the game cache via Steam after pulling all mods out. Then I installed all mods via KSP Mod Admin and now everything is peachy! (If anyone is having this problem, I recommend KSP Mod Admin over other installation methods, like KSP Mod Manager.)

ZyV3RLK.jpg

Edited by Nuin

Is there any way to completely disable the "physics load" range, as this is what is breaking my aircraft carriers. If I remove romfarer.dll, my carriers don't break when coming within 17.5k range (the new default), but with romfarer.dll installed, they crack up at whichever range is set in the space center screen.

Does anyone know a config setting to completely turn it off and just leave it the true default?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.