Wooooo!

Whackjob

Wanted to remain respectful and not drag the conversation when you're down, but clarification:

1) You still got game (the dating scene is still open for you)

2) There's a world out there waiting for you, when you're ready.

and throwing this one out there, too:

3) We're here to talk at if you need us. :)

Well, I've had a few days to recover. And analyze things. Even saw the Lady at the office today. I was expecting to feel like I was run over by a lawnmower with freshly sharpened blades dipped in lemon juice, but it actually went rather well. We're friends, but only friends. I can handle it. She's still a great person, and I'm lucky to have her as a friend.

And rather than be dejected, it actually motivated me to throw my hat back into the whole dating ring. Incredible... I didn't think I'd be able to. I've got one of those dating app things for the Whackphone. Figured it was a shot, while I look over my local hangouts to figure out where I'd hunt the ever elusive and probably endangered smart, geeky woman. I didn't expect much. I'm 36 and balding. I will not be modeling underwear anytime soon. Or ever. But I de-office today and check out how things went. Less than 24 hours, and I've already got several PMs, five favorites, twelve winks. Dang!

It's incredible how quickly life can turn around on you, isn't it? So while the first effort in a long time was a bust, I still got a great friend out of it, and an overall better outlook on life.

I'll call it a win.

My condolences to you, Whackjob. You'll find the right person someday, and if not you can enjoy life without missing things you never had. Just don't close up your heart and shut everyone out because you don't trust people's emotions as sincere, like I did -enjoy emotions and the ups and downs, instead of bulldozing them flat. I see your positive tone as a good sign.

'd hunt the ever elusive and probably endangered smart, geeky woman.

Good choice, if you were into blond supermodels then you might have a problem there. But if you're looking for geek and smart you probably have to worry more about what you say than how bald you are or how you look in Batman undies! :D

Well, I've had a few days to recover. And analyze things. Even saw the Lady at the office today. I was expecting to feel like I was run over by a lawnmower with freshly sharpened blades dipped in lemon juice, but it actually went rather well. We're friends, but only friends. I can handle it. She's still a great person, and I'm lucky to have her as a friend.

And rather than be dejected, it actually motivated me to throw my hat back into the whole dating ring. Incredible... I didn't think I'd be able to. I've got one of those dating app things for the Whackphone. Figured it was a shot, while I look over my local hangouts to figure out where I'd hunt the ever elusive and probably endangered smart, geeky woman. I didn't expect much. I'm 36 and balding. I will not be modeling underwear anytime soon. Or ever. But I de-office today and check out how things went. Less than 24 hours, and I've already got several PMs, five favorites, twelve winks. Dang!

It's incredible how quickly life can turn around on you, isn't it? So while the first effort in a long time was a bust, I still got a great friend out of it, and an overall better outlook on life.

I'll call it a win.

Very sorry to hear it didn't work out for you whackjob, but glad to see you found a silver lining in those stormy clouds :)

I've no doubt you will find the right woman for you and will look back with no regrets.

P.S. I'm curious to see what the Whackphone looks like, I'm guessing it fills a room, is covered in lights and and sparky bits and booms like the gates of hell opening when it rings :D

• 2 months later...

Might as well do a quick update to the curiously uninteresting drama that is my life. Me and the Lady aren't dating. Or looking to date. She's doing her own thing. I support her fully and we're still very good friends.

But the 'Whack is still lonely. So I joined one of those dating sites. Expecting nowhere near the attention I ended up getting. Long story shot, I've got a coffee-date this Saturday. With a very pretty and smart lady. Who is only a year and change older than I am. And she's taller than me.

I am six foot three. :) I have this amusing mental image of me standing on tiptoe to give her a peck on the cheek. :)

All of you are SHORT.

6'5" person here, and if anyone is taller I have an axe with me, a little chopping at the knees might become necessary.

Hope everything goes well. About to get married here, so I wish you good luck in that department.

I still say for Whack to go with heels. Amputating his date's legs on a first date might not get him a second one. Just sayin'.

@DuoDex - Congrats on the pending wedding. Since you will no longer have time for KSP, can I have your hat?

I still say for Whack to go with heels. Amputating his date's legs on a first date might not get him a second one. Just sayin'.

@DuoDex - Congrats on the pending wedding. Since you will no longer have time for KSP, can I have your hat?

My hat. And I can always find time for KSP.

I told you, "still got game". :)

Currently MIA. Whack has discovered the job he was born for, and is studying like mad for it. He will almost never be around for a while. "He is getting his nerd on" he says.

"Whack's assistant"

Thanks WhackBot! Have details about the new job been shared? (I haven't been around much, myself, been crazy busy)

Argh. Forgot to take that off. Wasn't supposed to have been put up anyway :P

I'm working on a CCNA certification. I'm trying to build up a robust set of large network engineering chops. I've since been promoted at my company to the Network Operations Center, and the CCNA is the key I need to open the next door. It's going slow, but well. I'm also in the midst of moving to a new apartment. I'm also about to be in the midst of dating a pretty lady. I'm gonna be a busy 'Whack for a time.

And wowweeee... talked to her again tonight. I was worried, before, that we didn't have a lot in common. That was absolutely dispelled tonight. We discussed how we feel over a wide range of values. Science, education, medicine, political. And again and again, we lined up perfectly. And she wasn't just saying she agreed just to say it. We were able to discuss specific details she definitely had much prior knowledge of.

I think the odds are 70% that I'm gonna disable my dating profile on that site saturday evening. Won't need it, I suspect. :>

I am a Happy 'Whack.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. Quick update, not that I think anyone's going to particularly care about the uninteresting saga that is my life. But I had a second date with the Tall Lady. The no-click date? Well, date two, there could have been a click. Date three was just this very night. The click is kind of quiet, but it's there.

Date four will be this Friday. :) Let's see where this goes!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.