Where should I go to college?

Dman979

I'm looking to become an aerospace engineer. But... where should I go to school? Right now, I'm not looking at colleges based on anything other than engineering programs.

Here's where you come in: if you're in aerospace (or other fields in) engineering, where did you go to school? Where do you work now? What are other tips you have regarding schools to go to?

If you're not an aerospace engineer, what are your suggestions? What did you find helpful?

I'm in 11th grade, so this is a considerable part of my college search. Please help me!:D

Thanks in advance!

Drexel and MIT are pretty good. The best are Stanford and Harvard, and Stanford has a lot of connections to the technology industry for out of college recruiting.

You could also go to Pomona College and take half your classes at Pomona and the other half at Harvey Mudd.

Those premier schools will demand at least a 4.0 GPA, an excellent attitude and charisma for your interview, excellent SAT scores of at least 2300, a lot of extracurriculars that clearly show your passions and also shows your dedication to a program or a cause, internships at engineering companies, good scores on your SAT 2's, subject tests, and AP tests, some good teacher recommendations, a sense of empathy, and much more.

For Asian Americans, the bar's even higher due to Affirmative Action limiting the number of slots available to them in premier schools. Not fair, but we deal with the hand we're dealt.

And the landscape for admissions to top schools has changed dramatically in the last few years. A lot of supposedly second rate colleges, even USC, have become some of the hardest to get into engineering and medical schools.

You also have to see how the school treats graduates vs undergrads. Often times, schools will focus their resources and staff time to the graduates in the top research schools while the top liberal arts usually only accept under grad students in order to giver them the most attention.

Getting into a top school can help with your career opportunities. At top companies like Qualcomm and Apple, unless you graduated from a top school or an ivy league, most people can kiss their chances of becoming director good bye.

Edited by andrew123

Look for nearby colleges and don't go overboard. Colleges cost a heck of a lot more for out of state tuition, sometimes double the in state cost. So try to get one in your state. Assuming you live in the USA...

Edited by Bill Phil
Autocorrect is dumb

So my dad teaches at Drexel. Law and as an Adjunct Prof, to be sure, but he teaches there. I'm looking into their 1-week engineering program this summer.

A 4.0 I don't have, more like 3.5-ish.

What is an SAT 2?

My school does not have any AP classes- we're too small.

Thoughts?

So my dad teaches at Drexel. Law and as an Adjunct Prof, to be sure, but he teaches there. I'm looking into their 1-week engineering program this summer.

A 4.0 I don't have, more like 3.5-ish.

What is an SAT 2?

My school does not have any AP classes- we're too small.

Thoughts?

SAT 2's are, to put it simply, a harder version of the SAT subjects and AP subjects condensed into categorized tests. You should research them yourself on websites like college confidential.

Not taking AP classes is too bad, but you should have at least taken the hardest classes available to you and built a good relationship with some of your teachers.

I'm not being racist, but the standard for getting into a top school is also dependent on your race. Asian Americans should have at least a 4.0, Caucasians at least a 3.75, African Americans a 3.5 and so on.

Oftentimes, people with half white or African American heritage and another half Korean or Chinese heritage will only list white or African American on their admission forms. I'm 100% Asian American, so I can't do that.

Supplemental tests and extracurriculars are vital to your college profile, but your GPA matters above all.

Your admission essays are also very important, especially the tone and content you decide to put into the paper.

You're not racist- just stating an unfair fact about the admissions process.

You can see in my sig the extracurricular activities I'm in- I'm also in a SeaPerch competition class- engineering.

What supplemental tests are you referring to?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe dual enrollment?

Can you explain a little more about this to me?

Dual enrollment is when you take half of your classes at college. You go to high school half the day, and then you go to the college to other half. To put it simply...

AP is a college level course, and if you're enrolled at a (preferably close) college and your local high school, then it might be a good substitute.

Edited by Bill Phil

Dual enrollment is when you take half of your classes at college. You go to high school half the day, and then you go to the college to other half. To put it simply...

AP is a college level course, and if you're enrolled at a (preferably close) college and your local high school, then it might be a good substitute.

Hmmm.

That's an interesting idea. Would dual enrollment happen during high school or college years?

Also, any info on Embry-Riddle?

Edited by Dman979

Have you taken the ACT or SAT yet? You need a high score on either of those to get accepted to the more prestigious colleges, also good junior and senior year grades.

I have taken the PSATs. My grades are middling now, but I can bring them up to A's and B's this semester. Obviously, this is hugely important.

I have taken the PSATs. My grades are middling now, but I can bring them up to A's and B's this semester. Obviously, this is hugely important.

The PSAT is only a practice SAT. You need to have a real 2200-2300 SAT or an ACT of over 32 to have a good score.

Yup, put anything you can into it, but don't stress about it too much. Another question; what part of the aerospace engineering field are you looking at? What do you have a passion for and/or are good at?

The PSAT is only a practice SAT. You need to have a real 2200-2300 SAT or an ACT of over 32 to have a good score.

I got high scores in the PSATs- 78/80 in reading comprehension, and 70 and 77 in Math and Writing skills. Any idea what that translates to? Also, is the ACT out of 34?

Yup, put anything you can into it, but don't stress about it too much. Another question; what part of the aerospace engineering field are you looking at? What do you have a passion for and/or are good at?

Astroengineering- basically, KSP IRL. I like math and science and history, and am above average/expert (for grade level) in all three. What I want to do is be a part of the team which sends astronauts to Mars and an asteroid. If I could, I'd like to be one of the guys they send, but I don't meet the requirements, nor will I ever- GD genetics!

- - - Updated - - -

It would be while your in high school. A senior or maybe a Junior if you're lucky. But you're already a Junior, right?

yeah, I'm a junior.

Also, any info on Embry-Riddle?

I know that my dad has people that work under him at NASA that went to Embry-Riddle. I also know that LaRC likes Embry-Riddle and they try to recruit from there. I have been looking there myself, but its so far away from my home in VA. The only two colleges that I can find in VA with Aerospace Engineering degrees are UVA and VT.

NASA Langley Research Center, hehe sorry about that.

A great website to use for finding colleges: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/

Use the College Search tool, you can look for colleges using all types of criteria.

I would also look into Mechanical Engineering programs because it is my understanding that many Mechanical Engineers work in aerospace. And on the College Search tool, you get 5 times as many results.

Edited by Denks

NASA Langley Research Center, hehe sorry about that.

A great website to use for finding colleges: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/

Use the College Search tool, you can look for colleges using all types of criteria.

I would also look into Mechanical Engineering programs because it is my understanding that many Mechanical Engineers work in aerospace. And on the College Search tool, you get 5 times as many results.

Yup, Aerospace is a pretty specialized field. How well does Mech Eng transfer to spacecraft design? I don't want to design the systems, but more like the whole booster.

Hey, come to the Central Valley in Fresno, California. The college called San Joaquin Valley College: Aviation! Get your A&P rating in 18 months!

What is an A&P rating? Atlantic and Pacific like the old store? No sarcasm, I don't know what one is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.