[GFX driver bug] Visual glitch with rotate/move gizmos

Hey all,

I have a visual glitch with the new gizmos from 0.90. The "scale" part on the insides of the rings/arrows appears to have no transparency and instead shows the bright pink texture indicative of a color/chromakey overlay.

Mods or no mods makes no difference. The screenshot is from a complete re-install (Steam version).

Screenshot:

gizmo-glitch.png

Has anybody an idea what might be causing this? My GPU is a nVidia 560, using latest proprietary drivers. 32/64 bit version makes no difference either.

I'm guessing you're using -force-opengl?

I actually had the same thing and posted about it (in general addons discussion because I thought maybe a mod was doing it): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/111137-Purple-rings-with-the-rotate-and-offset-tool-in-VAB-SPH-What-mod-is-doing-this-Or-gfx-settings

Basically, it's just OpenGL not being supported (or something), but it's harmless, aside from making things a bit gaudy, according to one of the responses to my thread.

You're using -opengl mode I believe. I see the same thing with that selected.
I'm guessing you're using -force-opengl?

No, as the title says I'm using Linux. No mode-forcing or anything.

Basically, it's just OpenGL not being supported (or something), but it's harmless, aside from making things a bit gaudy, according to one of the responses to my thread.
(emphsis mine)

This would mean that OS X and Linux are 2nd-class citizens.

Hi jinks (lol).

What you're seeing is actually caused by a bug in the proprietary Nvidia Linux driver, the gizmos display perfectly fine when using the open source nouveau driver on Nvidia hardware, or using non-Nvidia hardware and drivers.

I've notified the devs so hopefully they can render this differently, but really Nvidia need to patch their driver.

Hi jinks (lol).

What you're seeing is actually caused by a bug in the proprietary Nvidia Linux driver, the gizmos display perfectly fine when using the open source nouveau driver on Nvidia hardware, or using non-Nvidia hardware and drivers.

I've notified the devs so hopefully they can render this differently, but really Nvidia need to patch their driver.

Interesting... I didn't think that you could even get OpenGL this wrong, it's lot like transparency is some hardly understood new development. Way to go Unity/nVidia :D

Since there's loads of other transparent things that work just fine in KSP I'm quite sure that it can be worked around - at least it's way more likely to get Squad doing something about it than nVidia :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.