Is reentry heat going to be added officailly for 1.0?

Don't see anything on that though

Yep, I don't see anything from today's devnotes about fairings.

Devnote Tuesday: Fairing well
Felipe (HarvesteR): This week has been mostly focused on the new fairings, the procedural mesh generation is already up and running, and you can already place them in the editor and sculpt the fairing as you wish. The enclosure is subdivided into panels, which can break off individually or in groups, which means we can have full control over how the fairing will come apart once it’s jettisoned. During construction, you can place a fairing and build it up immediately after placement, or you can use Tweakable actions to edit it later. There are actions to delete, re-build and edit fairings at any time in the editor.

Next up is implementing the actual jettisoning behavior for the panels, and also writing in the enclosure detection, which is already being handled by the cargo bay module. There is quite a bit of work still left to be done, but I dare say what we have is looking pretty good already. .

The fairings are very customizable via the part.cfg, so we can determine the number of panels, the amount (if any) of edge smoothing between panels of different angles, as well as a number of other parameters, on a per part basis. And yes, we are planning on a number of different sizes of fairing parts (at least covering 1.25m through 3.5m profiles).

They could add shielding as a tweakable, so you could 'dial-a-heat-shield'. This would be (IMHO) the only sensible way to do shielding for space planes and shuttles, which would find it very hard to attach independent heat shields. Obviously this could cost funds and mass, and maybe not be available on all parts.

Alternatively, they could add integral heat shields to the capsules, as DRE does with the Mk 1, and adjust the mass appropriately. This would only apply to certain parts, and not to others (for example the lander cans).

Alternatively again, they could implement independent shields that could be attached as any other part. This would allow them to be detached (either with a built-in decoupler or a regular one) allowing for a great variety of designs, but OTOH would add to part count.

I haven't seen anything from SQUAD to indicate which method (or combination of methods) they prefer. I'm pretty sure that they do plan to implement some kind of shielding, though, otherwise adding aerodynamic heating would be pretty pointless, as you say.

I hope I can turn it off... I want to bring my goo modules home etc...

That is what the cargo sections are for which are already in. though they do need to change around the tech tree a bit. Some things needed at low tech are high tech. You can't even get wheels for awhile and then it's aircraft gear. Some form of wheel should be in the first tech. since it comes long before anything can fly.

I hope I can turn it off... I want to bring my goo modules home etc...

Currently with Deadly Re-Entry it isn't difficult to bring the science home. Goo canisters can easily be placed behind other parts so as to not expose them to re-entry effects. Likewise Materials Labs can have heat shields added to them. Also, coming in slowly (say after a low orbit circularizing burn) reduces the heat a great deal and most stock components can survive re-entry without problem.

Currently with Deadly Re-Entry it isn't difficult to bring the science home. Goo canisters can easily be placed behind other parts so as to not expose them to re-entry effects. Likewise Materials Labs can have heat shields added to them. Also, coming in slowly (say after a low orbit circularizing burn) reduces the heat a great deal and most stock components can survive re-entry without problem.

Also, if you save some fuel, you can do a second retrograde burn during the heating portion of the descent (25-35km I think) to slow down faster and get below the extra-crispy speed sooner. Hopefully before something overheats.

IIRC a realistsic reentry on Kerbin should not produce a lot of heat: not enough atmosphere, things are over quickly. The DRE folks had to crank up some values, otherwise there would be no need for an D in DRE.

But as I said: IIRC. I can't find a post to quote from.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.