[0.17] Electrical Energy Plugin | v1.5 (Oct 12)

Kreuzung

Ion engines...  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Ion engines...

• ...should stay infinite (only using energy)
    • ...should use a bit of normal fuel too
    • ...should use a bit of RCS fuel
    • ...should have their own fuel type
    • ... are for idiots (do not vote for this option!)

All MuMech-fuelType based parts should work except the tank, I\'m going to fix that in the next release. Yorik gave me some new parts I\'ve just played around with, they will probably be in the next release too. I\'m also planning animated panels and ZO2 filters.

Smartphone Internet sucks even more if you are in a train...

Would like to see more from this plugin; currently using it, but some things like running out of energy making it unusable make it difficult.

Also, is it possible to make other parts use the plugin? If so, how exactly?

Other plugin part types casn use it, see first post. I\'m also going to add ZO2 filters (untested impementation added, should also work without ZO2 installed) and Ion RCS (Hopefully coming tomorrow). However, a normal part type not made for this plugin, like a parachute or a cart should not work.

Other plugin part types casn use it, see first post. I\'m also going to add ZO2 filters (untested impementation added, should also work without ZO2 installed) and Ion RCS (Hopefully coming tomorrow). However, a normal part type not made for this plugin, like a parachute or a cart should not work.

I added energy gain to the part configs and have yet to see any change. Perhaps I did something wrong? Is it supposed to go in a particular part of the config file?

So, last night I attempted to modify some of the C7 parts, to function as solar panels AND wings at the same time. Sadly I was unable to make this work. Any ideas?

I have successfully gotten the new propellers to work with electricity which makes for all sorts of interesting things when coupled with blimps and planes, but i dislike the appearance of the existing solar panels stuck all over the thing.

I thought about solar wings, should be easy to add.

Sat in a train yesterday (Sänk ju for trävelink wis Deutsche Bahn*), downloaded some plugin code before so I could code then, but forgot to register VC#, so I played KSP (launched some satellites and learned to fly planes without joystick, however I managed to catapult debris into my fuselage with the particle gun resulting in the loss of all parts that kept the thing in the air)...

That was Bahn language for 'Thank you for travelling with Deutsche Bahn'

Worked on ZO2 filters today and directly ran into a MuMechBug I can\'t really fix, so I stopped for now. Gonna PM around a bit and see if I can get some cool stuff for this, .15 will probably fix the bug anyway.

Someone already made custom parts for this, or re-codes of other parts?

Oh, sorry.

Make sure your module is \'SolarPanel\' and you called the param \'EnergyGain\', you know, case-sensitive.

Oh wow, thanks..

Found out that this makes the plugin incompatible with solar panels that unfold or are toggleable. :(

I was thinking about PowerTech/MultiJointPart panels.

Some parts of this plugin will be obsolete in .15, gonna see what stays and what will be removed/expanded.

Anyway, I\'ve got it black-on-white by Mu that the bug will die, so progress is done by chatting ;P

I was thinking about PowerTech/MultiJointPart panels.

Some parts of this plugin will be obsolete in .15, gonna see what stays and what will be removed/expanded.

Anyway, I\'ve got it black-on-white by Mu that the bug will die, so progress is done by chatting ;P

Yeah, that was what was bugging out; if I leave the two different module types in there, it loads up fine but the part isn\'t attachable anywhere. Doesn\'t have a connection node or something. There\'s also the Space Station Parts Pack, which has a LARGE amount of well-made solar panels that start up small & packaged until you reach their stage, in which they just sort of jut out all impudent and look like they\'re supposed to. That pack is pretty much just uses mumechjeb toggle in the module line to allow it to be toggleable on-stage. IF I replaced the module line with SolarPanel it works, but the huge-ass solar panels are always fully deployed.

And awesome that they\'re talking to you about how to make this work with the new shit! Can\'t wait to see all this in perfect working order. I want ion engines all up in this shit.

You can use MuMechSolarPanel with this, but it won\'t care about Kerbol at all. That whould actually be the easiest thing to change for me, seriously thinking about releasing pseudo-fixed ZO2 filters and Kerbol-dependent MuMechSolarPanels tomorrow.

For the sake of keeping everyone comfortable with Xenolith, I have removed the download restrictions.

You will be able to download the full 10mb file now. Creating an account to like and subscribe to Kreuzungs mod is ofc still a really good idea!

Yeah thanks. I\'m still going to divide the next release in 3 parts (Plugin, DSM parts, VB parts) but I won\'t have to upload them separately.

Hopefully Xenolith will become more popular now, I like the ability to subscribe for updates.

I haven\'t tried this yet, as I stopped playing KSP until the .15 release is sorted out, but it\'s good to see you got it all together. I\'m not sure what models you used for the engines and battery, but it looks much less silly than what I was using back when i was using ion thrusters.

sillyrabbit.jpg

Just curious how you handled Ion thrusters. The real problem with them (aside from finite electricity generation and storage) in the real world is that their thrust:mass is a tiny, tiny fraction(~ 0.00002). The figures I ran when calculating KSP engine conversion parameters gave me something like an engine with 445.46 mass for 1 thrust pulling 523,560 KW and a part radius of 25-50m representing an array of ~52 VASMIR 10MW thrusters.

The numbers are probably wrong, but I stopped working on it when I realized the scale of the thrust:mass and power consumption issues. Atmospheric engines give the same benefit of 10x fuel efficiency at reasonable dimensions, so I restricted myself to those instead.

Just wanted to know how you went about implementing Ion engines in a KSP usable part.

I honestly didn\'t care about real values, I just wanted to replace that buggy and decompiledc old plugin. Models are taken from others who used the old plugin with their permission. This is more for fun and controlling things that whould need insane amounts of fuel. However, it could need some serious rebalancing.

I didn\'t add ion RCS for now \'cause I thought that it whould kill all challenge in controlling spacecraft, and I\'ve also added airfilters that can produce ZO2 from energy (or do nothing, if you don\'t use the ZO2 plugin). Suggestions for other uses are welcome.

I could do it in the next 30 minutes, but I think something is missing, but I don\'t know what.

Anyway, changelog:

+Added airfilters, they consume energy and produce ZO2 if the ZO2 plugin is installed and used on the ship

+Added a new solar panel type derived FromMuMechSolarPanel for part creators

+Added experimental 1m to 2m reactor, 2m battery and 2m plasma engine by Yorik, they are not really balanced and the reactor Krakens away from whatever it is attached to (will be separate download)

*Fixed battery icon color

*Did some tweaks with the parts I can\'t remember

*Going to divide download into plugin, DSM parts and VB parts

*Fixed EL_API class to also look for MuMechVariableTanks with fueltype = Energy, not only batteries

-Removed that crappy 1m-1.5m decoupler, if you really need that use the ones from CardBoardBoxProcessors Space Penetration Co instead

-Forgot what else I did

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.