How works the savegame logic in KSP?

Hi together,

I'm playing in science mode and the mission I was on was a docked ship on it's way to Duna. On this point (on the interplanetary transfer) I saved the game and go on. Unfortunately Bill, Bob and Jeb where unsupervised in warp mode for a too long time and in the next moment the ship crashes into Duna's surface :(

Okay then, load the save game I thought. But it wasn't there anymore!

Is this a bug or a feature? I would understand the logic, but now it's hard for me: I have to ascend three ships, do two dockings and the correct interplanetary burn again :(

I'm playing for about 100h now and till a few days with mechjeb for the liftoffs. Sadly I have not this much time I would like to play, so the mission took me about 2 or 3 weeks to this point...

Edited by floyD

There are different ways to save your game. How did you save it?

You can save your game from the KSC scene by pressing ESC to get the menu.

If you press mod+F5 (Alt+F5 in windows) while in flight you can create a named save. You can load a named quicksave while in flight by pressing mod+F9.

If you press F5 while in flight you create a quicksave. This can be loaded in flight by holding down F9.

Hope this helps.

Happy landings!

And welcome to the forums!

heres some more info on the save games....as you progress your career the save files gets massive and becomes over 100,000 lines of code. Then one day you have to edit a line to save a kerbal. And then you realize you cant find that line :) As far as anwersing your logic question. I think the game saves could use a overhaul for that reason. The saves lists the vessels you have AND their parts AND their modules! I honestly think the file can do without the parts/modules and use reference pointers instead. It would save thousands of lines of code.

First Thing to your original Problem. You should try the mod Kerbal Alarm Clock which reminds you to set alarms like changing SOI or a a maneuver node.

To your question about saves must be mentioned that if you use quicksave F5 it will of course be overwritten by the next time you press F5. Same for just saving the "persistent" file, which will be saved every time you leave the game and also from time to time while playing. The mod above will also make copies of your saves, so you have more choice to switch back to.

heres some more info on the save games....as you progress your career the save files gets massive and becomes over 100,000 lines of code. Then one day you have to edit a line to save a kerbal. And then you realize you cant find that line :) As far as anwersing your logic question. I think the game saves could use a overhaul for that reason. The saves lists the vessels you have AND their parts AND their modules! I honestly think the file can do without the parts/modules and use reference pointers instead. It would save thousands of lines of code.

As a side note, KSP stores all those parts so that it can also hold those modules. The modules are where it stores information such as science collected, where the craft has been, and how much fuel the part contains. It's a rather integral part of saving the actual state of the game. Pointers back to just the module name don't help the game know what state the module was in. Also, the module/part name actually is the pointer. As for parts, storing the part name is one tiny portion of the needed information. The game still needs to know rotations, what's connected to the part, and so on.

Part of what makes the game files so big is that all of that information is stored as plain text. However, if it wasn't stored as plain text you'd never be able to get in there to edit a line to save a kerbal. There definitely is some redundant information, but it might not be as much as one would think.

Cheers,

~Claw

As a side note, KSP stores all those parts so that it can also hold those modules. The modules are where it stores information such as science collected, where the craft has been, and how much fuel the part contains. It's a rather integral part of saving the actual state of the game. Pointers back to just the module name don't help the game know what state the module was in. Also, the module/part name actually is the pointer. As for parts, storing the part name is one tiny portion of the needed information. The game still needs to know rotations, what's connected to the part, and so on.

Part of what makes the game files so big is that all of that information is stored as plain text. However, if it wasn't stored as plain text you'd never be able to get in there to edit a line to save a kerbal. There definitely is some redundant information, but it might not be as much as one would think.

Cheers,

~Claw

THanks for the information ! I actually overlooked that part of resource states in saves. Such as having 50% electric charge. Otherwise the game would always point to a generic electric charge module with 100% at all times. Ill take lines of code any day if that means I can edit saves ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.