Sliding cargobay doors

The new cargobays are awesome, but I have one little issue with them:

The bay opening via hinges. It would allow much much more design options when the doors would slide into the cargobay sides instead of opening with a hinge mechanism.

The opened cargobays often clip into other parts of the vessels and it is difficult to build around it.

Examples:

MK3 cargobays to the side - these need very high/low wings so they do not clip:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66465-Work-in-Progress-WIP-Design-Thread?p=1736007&viewfull=1#post1736007

MK2 cargobay topdown for cockpit access:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/111457-SSTO-Freerider-series?p=1755665&viewfull=1#post1755665

Where a sliding door would be cool:

- two cargobays facing each other while being opened, creating a larger bay that could fit wider rowers or small planes

- rockets with X-symmetry with cargobays attached all around (right now the bay doors clip into each other when opening all of them

- MK3 bays having things attached to the sides would allow placing them nearly along the full height without clipping (wings, tanks) - right now the doors open at half height, mostly clipping to attached side tanks.

This could also be applied to the MK2 inline docking port.

edit: here is an example that could work wonderfully if the doors would slide:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66465-Work-in-Progress-WIP-Design-Thread?p=1769378&viewfull=1#post1769378

Edited by LordFjord

I'd be happy if the degree to which the doors opened were a tweakable: that is, I could set the doors on my spaceplane to open only 150 degrees instead of 180, which would be more than enough to get things in and out and yet would not clip wings on the centerline.

I'd be happy if the degree to which the doors opened were a tweakable: that is, I could set the doors on my spaceplane to open only 150 degrees instead of 180, which would be more than enough to get things in and out and yet would not clip wings on the centerline.

^ this +2^100 ;)

I would love to see procedural cargobays.

Think of a bay that has 8 parameters:

Bay Width (Internal Ceiling Width)

Bay Length (Overall Bay Length)

Bay Height (Internal Wall Height)

Bay Door Length Offset (Able to leave a gap at either end of the bay)

Bay Door Width Ratio (Concave/Convex closed cargo bays available)

Bay Door Length Ratio (Stubby bay doors)

Bay Door Close Angle(Concave/Convex bay doors)

Bay Door Open Angle

The base size of the doors can be extrapolated from the bay width and bay door close angle, which is why the width and length of them should be a ratio.

Edited by KrazyKrl

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.