Mun Base Requirements

I'm going for a Mun base contract in career modeand it has a number of requirements: 5 kerbals, a docking port, antenna, power, and research lab. I want to go a bit overboard with this and make a REAL base though, which means I need to assemble it in orbit and on the ground. My question is, what counts as meeting the conditions? Do I have to put all the required items on the main module, or will it complete the contract if I, for example, attach my antenna array to a science pod with a docking port and attach the science pod to the main module with another docking port?

Also, an engineering question. Just how sturdy are docking ports? Can I connect a bunch of pods in orbit and then land the whole thing on a central rocket?

Edited by CDRW

I've only ever launched stations/bases as single modules so far, so this is not a definitive answer, but here goes.

All parts connected should be counted towards the requirements after they have been docked. So even if individual modules don't meet all requirements, the base as a whole should. There is the matter of it having to be 'a new outpost constructed after the contract is accepted'. As far as I know, the game uses the Mission Elapsed Time (MET) for the outpost, and compares this to the contract acceptance time to determine validity.

Since you cannot (realistically) control which module's MET gets used for the resulting vessel when docking, you may inadvertently invalidate this requirement if one of the modules was built before the contract was accepted. Of course, if you launch all the individual modules after accepting the contract, this shouldn't be an issue.

On docking-port sturdiness:

They're not too bad, but definitely not as strong as structural connections made in the VAB. If the attached modules are not too massive, and are not spread too far from the central module's centre of mass, you shouldn't have too much trouble, especially in Munar gravity. You will probably experience some degree of wobble, but a little care should keep everything intact.

One thing to note if you're planning to dock things together on the ground; the height of the docking ports above the ground may not be the same in Munar and Kerbin gravity, so it may not be possible to get a good dock on the Mun, even if it worked in testing on the pad. Allowing for height adjustment (by thrust or some other mechanical method) may be required.

It will work if you put the separate modules on the ground and then connect them. I use Temstar's Modular Base Kit, except that I'm not using Kethane in this save. I added my own science lab and fission reactor, and I tweaked a few other things to better suit my tastes. Once I had all the pieces docked on that the contract stipulated, it accepted it and completed. So yeah build it together or as modules, whichever you prefer.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and as for docking heights: right click on each leg and click "lock". It will keep them from sagging.

That's what I did.

wd0oinO.png

The "Stilts" are Infernal Robotics pistons, and totally optional. I raised the base up because I had set up a ladder on the MPL's hatch on the bottom to allow entry/exit to the surface.

Thanks guys! You answered my question perfectly. Now I've just got to figure out how to make a good looking Mun base. My stuff all ends up looking really generic and I want to avoid that, but I also want a design that makes sense.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.