White Owl's video series discussion thread

White Owl

Hiya White Owl.

I\'m loving the new RUNT/GRUNT and now that you\'re done with the RUNT I was hoping you would not mind putting the RUNT.craft up for downlod.

I would love to try that plane out. I did try to recreate it my self and failed hard. ^^

Yes, I\'ll certainly share that. But first I have to put together a mod pack kind of thing so you\'ll have the same parts, since many of them I made with simple config file edits.

In other news... I am very discouraged right now. I spent a good chunk of today (not recording) attaching Prospector to GRUNT 45-B and troubleshooting the whole assembly. Still haven\'t tried to launch it, because I want to be recording that, but it will reliably stand up straight without anything breaking.

I\'m getting one frame per second. (Second per frame?)

I\'m willing to record a few minutes of very low frame rates just to get the thing launched on its way... but this may not be playable. At all.

What do I do now?

Make a note: 470 parts is too many for KSP. It\'s barely even taxing my CPU, but I\'m thinking the game engine itself just can\'t do it.

How long did you test it? In my experience, ships with large numbers of parts cause framerate drops while the game is loading the terrain and also cause the loading of the terrain to take much longer than it should. Loading the terrain somehow conflicts with the physics and the engine doesn\'t seem able to do both at the same time without a massive performance hit. What I usually do is press Esc (or hold it down, rather, to make sure the game registers it) to open the menu. That pauses the physics and allows the game to load the terrain almost instantly. Close the menu and boom, good framerate. I find doing this is a lot faster than waiting for the framerate to smooth out on its own (which it will, eventually).

Also, are you planning to do other games besides KSP? I loved that Silent Hunter series...

Good thoughts, Sordid. Thanks for trying to help. But this just ain\'t going to work. :\'(

I need to accept that I can\'t have both an absurdly complicated launch vehicle and an absurdly complicated payload. The game can\'t handle it. I\'ll have to launch Prospector with a boring, plain ol\' disposable rocket and keep GRUNT handy for simpler payloads.

Oh well. Lesson learned. The story will continue.

Yeah, I\'m also troubleshooting some stuff with SH4. Hoping to continue that one soon.

My lifters also tend to be rather large and complex - and I get slideshow framerates from launch till low orbit when I\'ve been able to jettison a few stages. So, in my experience, the framerate does seem directly linked to the number of parts the game engine has to keep track of at any given time.

Since performance becomes much better the second I jettison my fairly complex launch stage, I get the notion the game dumps those parts from working memory, and just assigns it a coordinate as debris.

Good thoughts, Sordid. Thanks for trying to help. But this just ain\'t going to work. :\'(

I need to accept that I can\'t have both an absurdly complicated launch vehicle and an absurdly complicated payload. The game can\'t handle it. I\'ll have to launch Prospector with a boring, plain ol\' disposable rocket and keep GRUNT handy for simpler payloads.

Oh well. Lesson learned. The story will continue.

Yeah, I\'m also troubleshooting some stuff with SH4. Hoping to continue that one soon.

Thats a real shame you can\'t use the GRUNT :( But I\'m sure you\'ll find more uses for it later though :)

I hope someone knows some secret trick or something that will allow you to launch it though.

My only advice would be to let the vehicle sit on the launch pad for 20 minutes or so to see if the framerate improves :P

Glad to hear you\'ll be sharing the .crafts later. I\'ll be waiting patiently ;) Thank you.

Sorry GRUNT-45B didn\'t work. But look at the bright side: GRUNT-45A isn\'t anywhere near outdated. I\'d like to see it reequipped with the stock TurboJets (keep those solid boosters, though. Those are awesome!). Perhaps you could also put that extra cockpit on GRUNT and fly OXCART into orbit and finally be able to fly GRUNT into reentry!

you use the mod so that is why I\'m asking you. The POWERED HINGS an the mod that it is in is not working right for me. I go to put down a POWERED HINGS it does a lot of clicking noises and if i do not remove it the game crashes and I can not get the game to load fully if these are in the Parts file they are all from the NovaPunch Remix Pack. The names are NP_1_75m_SRB, NP_1_75mSRB_Half, NP_largeSRB, NP_medsolidBooster, NP_miniBooster, and NP_sidemountSRB

Since it stands to be said, and since the last couple of posts on this topic seemed a bit complainey and not your problem-y...

You\'re my Yoda dude. My guide and mentor through the wacky world of KSP. And for that I thank you.

Really excited to see some of your Kerbals walking around on the moon :)

how owl where did all the .craft files for your ships go cause i dont see them cause when i get 0.16 i want to download them and all your mod packs adn its probably going to crash my laptop(yes my lap top) but i dont care keep up the good work(even though i cant see it cause im in china right now[vacation]and youtube dosent work in china).

Give me those parts.

I\'m scared to figure out what I can do with them. :o

That thing works just like the real space shuttle. External fuel tank, huge SRBs, and main engines that tilt way over to keep the whole thing flying straight as the center of mass changes all over the place, and two smaller orbital engines using an internal fuel supply. Almost all parts have config file edits to make it work... but none of them are cheat parts at all. It\'s a totally legit build. Only lacking a cargo bay.

Yes, I will definitely share my config edits, since that\'s the only way to share this shuttle... or it\'s successor, coming soon to a Youtube channel near you. Give me some time to put a package together.

8)

That thing works just like the real space shuttle. External fuel tank, huge SRBs, and main engines that tilt way over to keep the whole thing flying straight as the center of mass changes all over the place, and two smaller orbital engines using an internal fuel supply. Almost all parts have config file edits to make it work... but none of them are cheat parts at all. It\'s a totally legit build. Only lacking a cargo bay.

Yes, I will definitely share my config edits, since that\'s the only way to share this shuttle... or it\'s successor, coming soon to a Youtube channel near you. Give me some time to put a package together.

8)

ETA on that?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.