Inflatable module for ISS

The_8th_Bit

NASA is planning on sending an inflatable module to the International Space Station later this year. It was built by Bigelow Aerospace and will be launched in the trunk of a SpaceX resupply flight.

Article:

http://www.nasa.gov/content/new-expandable-addition-on-space-station-to-gather-critical-data-for-future-space-habitat/index.html

So what's your opinion on inflatable habitats for space travel.

The problem with inflatables is you have to launch them empty, of supplies, and of other stuff like the standard payload racks (the things that makes station modules useful). So its only useful for empty space, unless you want to go to all the effort of installing stuff on the walls.

The problem with inflatables is you have to launch them empty, of supplies, and of other stuff like the standard payload racks (the things that makes station modules useful). So its only useful for empty space, unless you want to go to all the effort of installing stuff on the walls.

Depending on how big they can be made, it still has merit for psychological/biological reasons. One of the biggest problems with space travel is the compact spaces. If they can be used for forms of recreation that would be otherwise impossible, why not?

So what's your opinion on inflatable habitats for space travel.

In transfer I could see it having a lot more use, because there's less debris, but in Earth orbit? They claim this thing is sufficient protection against debris? What are they building it out of, and when can people start using it as body armor?

Edited by vger

Depending on how big they can be made, it still has merit for psychological/biological reasons. One of the biggest problems with space travel is the compact spaces. If they can be used for forms of recreation that would be otherwise impossible, why not?

Anyone up for space ball?

That's the same problem as with wet workshops, though. A supply flight would've been used. And still could be used.

Source?

It's a given, really. But there are many studies...

When a human is put into a small volume, they can start to get... crazy.

Ever wondered why the ISS had 900+ m^3 of volume? So space sickness doesn't happen would be my guess.

Source?

Short answer: submarines. Humans are not mole-people, and generally do not enjoy cramped quarters.

In the case of space though, the options for getting exercise have been quite limited.

I'm not just thinking about trips to the ISS. I'm thinking about long-term voyages that will have people away from Earth for years at a time.

Another thing I just thought of: if this can be done in space, then it could also be used for bases. If you had the dV for the landing, you can can land an entire habitat on a planet and have it unpack itself immediately after, without having to equip extra heat shields.

Edited by vger

Do YOU like sitting in a single 6x6x6 room for months on end?

I've heard Space Station is comfortably large, from some astronaut interviews. To directly answer your question, yes, if I was in space!

Short answer: submarines. Humans are not mole-people, and generally do not enjoy cramped quarters.

In the case of space though, the options for getting exercise have been quite limited.

I'm not just thinking about trips to the ISS. I'm thinking about long-term voyages that will have people away from Earth for years at a time.

Another thing I just thought of: if this can be done in space, then it could also be used for bases. If you had the dV for the landing, you can can land an entire habitat on a planet and have it unpack itself immediately after, without having to equip extra heat shields.

OR for underground areas, better for underground since you can go larger and the side of the cavern will keep the fabric from overstretching.

I've heard Space Station is comfortably large, from some astronaut interviews. To directly answer your question, yes, if I was in space!

There might me long hallways but there's not wide space to my knowledge; something an inflatable segment can provide. Nothing boosts morale like the feeling of freedom (as opposed to being locked up in a tube)

As for liking to sit in a 2×2×2m room for monthsâ€â€the novelty will wear off quicker than you think. I used to be quite excited of flying but many business trips have killed that enthusiasm. Of course being in space is different but I'd like to meet the astronaut who will say “nah, we're fine here, no extra space neededâ€Â

And it's not just luxury, I think it's the sanity of your crew. Effectiveness will suffer if half your crew is depressed by being locked up for months inside what is basically a boeing 737.

And it's not just luxury, I think it's the sanity of your crew. Effectiveness will suffer if half your crew is depressed by being locked up for months inside what is basically a boeing 737.

Are you aware that 216 individual astronauts and cosmonauts have spent 6 month intervals living and working on Space Station? Including many expeditions flown when it was much smaller than it is now. Living legend Sergei Krikalev has spent an uninterrupted year on orbit, aboard Mir. Scott Kelly and Mikhail Kornienko are about to fly a year-long mission on Space Station.

Are you aware that 216 individual astronauts and cosmonauts have spent 6 month intervals

6 months/1 year is NOT Mars.

We're also at the dawn of commercializing space.

Hotel, anyone?

Are you aware that 216 individual astronauts and cosmonauts have spent 6 month intervals living and working on Space Station? Including many expeditions flown when it was much smaller than it is now. Living legend Sergei Krikalev has spent an uninterrupted year on orbit, aboard Mir. Scott Kelly and Mikhail Kornienko are about to fly a year-long mission on Space Station.

Mir and ISS were BIG.

Mir was about 300 m^3.

ISS is about 900 m^3.

But that size comes with quite a cost: Lots and lots and lots of mass.

Mir: ~120 metric tons

ISS; ~440 metric tons

Using a less massive module for each cubic meter would make it easier to build deep space capable craft.

Edited by Bill Phil

Aye, Bill. And while this is all speculation right now, even if hardware needs to be moved into the module after it inflates, if it provides adequate protection I can't see any reason to NOT use this. If all it saves on is hull mass, that's still a big improvement.

In transfer I could see it having a lot more use, because there's less debris, but in Earth orbit? They claim this thing is sufficient protection against debris? What are they building it out of, and when can people start using it as body armor?

It's not inflatable. The proper term is expandable. It is made of several layers of which I imagine Kevlar (or something similar) is at least one of them. Most tiny debris particles vaporize upon hitting the first layer of protection, meaning there's much less for the subsequent layers to stop.

It's another launch I'm looking forward to. It must pack up pretty small if it can fit in a Dragon's trunk.

It's not inflatable. The proper term is expandable. It is made of several layers of which I imagine Kevlar (or something similar) is at least one of them. Most tiny debris particles vaporize upon hitting the first layer of protection, meaning there's much less for the subsequent layers to stop.

It's another launch I'm looking forward to. It must pack up pretty small if it can fit in a Dragon's trunk.

It's almost a few dozen layers. Kevlar bladders, layers of other stuff... Like a spacesuit, except bigger. Plus extra protection. I think...

It's a smaller version than normal. They're going to test it out over time. Very exciting!

JEM has about 300 cubic meters of habitable volume by itself, and was in the Proton/Space Shuttle payload class.

Does it have its own life support? It's own maneuvering system?

Probably not.

And that's actually ~150 m^3 according to the data I found. That's only 50 m^3 above the average Salyut 20 tonne stations.

I think the intended purpose of inflatables is an easier to transport shield against radiation, heat, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.