Question on RAM (highest reason for crashing with many mods)

so was wondering if there is any programs or cracks (i guess its called a crack) mods, ect. etc. that will boost, raise, extend, what not the amount of RAM that KSP can use. currently its too low and because of this it is the reason why the game crashes sooo much wile using multiple (many) mods.

it can be an official mod or it can be a third party out of site program. anything would help.

thank you!

so was wondering if there is any programs or cracks (i guess its called a crack) mods, ect. etc. that will boost, raise, extend, what not the amount of RAM that KSP can use. currently its too low and because of this it is the reason why the game crashes sooo much wile using multiple (many) mods.

it can be an official mod or it can be a third party out of site program. anything would help.

thank you!

No such thing does or can exist. The amount of RAM a program can use is fixed by the type of architecture it uses. 32 bit programs can only ever use 4GB of RAM this is because 32bit programs can only assign values up to 4.2billion and it just so happens 4.2 billion bytes is 4GB.

KSP on Windows is 32 bit, there is a 64 bit client however it has a lot of bugs, is incredibly unstable for most people and most mod developers set their mods not to activate on it.

KSP on linux has a stable 64 bit client.

64 bit programs can use up to 18.4 quintillion bytes or around 18 billion GB of RAM

Also, there's ActiveTextureManagement for reducing RAM usage or you can force OpenGL for graphics rendering. Both reduce RAM requirements because, as nekogod said, literally nothing can change the fact that a 32-bit program can only access 4Gb of RAM. Your only options are decreasing RAM usage or Linux64.

Active Texture Management is indeed a very helpful starting point :)

Beyond that, you'll have to sacrifice some mods. It bites, I know, but it's basically a hardware limitation until Unity sorts out 64 bit support :/

Memory crashes are very predictable however; up to 3.4gb in use is always stable (on my machine). 3.4-3.6 could crash on the next scene switch, and 3.6+ is pretty much going to crash at any moment whether or not there's a scene change. Because of this, you can keep an eye on it (via task manager) and anticipate the crash, giving the game a graceful restart. I figure the regular breaks are KSP's way of keeping me hydrated :)

Forcing OpenGL mode is probably the best approach, perhaps combined with ATM (Active Texture Management). The downside is slightly worse visual quality and a performance hit - but you get a KSP Win32 that can run a dozen or two dozen mods, even some heavy ones like KW Rocketry, without hitting the 3.2-3.4GB limit.

There's also the DirectX switch, which has better performance, but far worse visual quality issues.

64 bit programs can use up to 18.4 quintillion bytes or around 18 billion GB of RAM

Am I the only one fantasizing about what kind of rockets and space stations we could build and run lag-free using that much ram?

Am I the only one fantasizing about what kind of rockets and space stations we could build and run lag-free using that much ram?

The lag is your CPU and the physics, not the RAM limit. The memory cap largely affects how many types of part you can have in the game, not how many parts you can have on-screen :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.