Stock Kerbin Space Speed Record!

This challenge is simple, build the fastest rocket to send on Kerbin escape trajectory!

How to enter: Find the fastest speed you had RIGHT BEFORE LEAVING KERBIN'S SOI!

I closed the old thread since it was confusing.

I added a FAR category for those who need it.

Rules:

Must be stock.

No Part Clipping.

No cheaty things like Infini-Glide, hack gravity and such.

No Hyper-edit, build a lifter.

Photos, or it never happened.

Visual mods are ok!

NO MECHJEB

Your score is your speed right before leaving the SOI!

So, good luck, and Get some Speed!

Your final score is the fastest speed you had right before leaving Kerbin's SOI.

Leader Board:

1-

2-

3-

Leader Board:

1- Norcalplanner=31,974 m/s

2- Purpleivan=31,644 m/s

3- Ainurakne=24,242 m/s

4- Tank2333=23,155 m/s

5- Mckamx= 22,285 m/s

6- Norcalplanner=19,633 m/s

7- Smjjames=14,556 m/s

8- DMSP=11,402 m/s

FAR Leader Board:

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

I'll start:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by DMSP

DMSP: You should probably specify where the measurement is to be taken.

Right now, you're asking for the highest speed achieved in Kerbin's SoI by a rocket that launched from Kerbin and is currently on an escape trajectory. By that reading, you could record enormously high speeds by going on an extremely elliptic trajectory, looping around once, and then burning for an escape trajectory on the way back towards Kerbin so you can record your speed at periapsis.

Norcalplanner on the other hand submitted a speed measurement he took shortly before the SoI transition, which is a completely different set of circumstances.

So, recommendation: specify that you want the speed recorded just before the spacecraft enters the Sun's SoI. That kind of wording should prevent confusion and measurements that are not comparable.

Changed Op

- - - Updated - - -

DMSP: You should probably specify where the measurement is to be taken.

Right now, you're asking for the highest speed achieved in Kerbin's SoI by a rocket that launched from Kerbin and is currently on an escape trajectory. By that reading, you could record enormously high speeds by going on an extremely elliptic trajectory, looping around once, and then burning for an escape trajectory on the way back towards Kerbin so you can record your speed at periapsis.

Norcalplanner on the other hand submitted a speed measurement he took shortly before the SoI transition, which is a completely different set of circumstances.

So, recommendation: specify that you want the speed recorded just before the spacecraft enters the Sun's SoI. That kind of wording should prevent confusion and measurements that are not comparable.

I did that with the last challenge, but it got out of hand. I'll try again!

Thanks for the idea!

-DMSP

Is having Kerbal Joint Reinforcement and vens stock revamp (that only touches the models and textures) okay?

I have a whole bunch of mods, so I'll have to check which parts are stock first, heh. I don't have any that mess with the delta V though.

EDOOT: Actually, would having FAR be acceptable? Maybe make a category with FAR and one without.

And can I have MechJeb but not actually use it?

Edited by smjjames

Is having Kerbal Joint Reinforcement and vens stock revamp (that only touches the models and textures) okay?

I have a whole bunch of mods, so I'll have to check which parts are stock first, heh. I don't have any that mess with the delta V though.

EDOOT: Actually, would having FAR be acceptable? Maybe make a category with FAR and one without.

And can I have MechJeb but not actually use it?

Ok, I'll make a FAR category. If you don't use MechJeb then ok. Visual mods are ok but everything else must be stock.

You didn't say anything about KJR, so I assume that's ok?

Edit: I just realized that one could achive quite a substantial speed with a very long burn using nukes, so.... are those allowed? I'll make one with nuke engines and one without.

Edit: Heres one using nukes, sorry for the nighttime/darkside shots. Final speed at Kerbin SoI exit, 14556 m/s, destination, interstellar space. Or what would be interstellar space.

Edited by smjjames
imgur link, durr

Edit: I just realized that one could achive quite a substantial speed with a very long burn using nukes, so.... are those allowed? I'll make one with nuke engines and one without.

Edit: Heres one using nukes, sorry for the nighttime/darkside shots. Final speed at Kerbin SoI exit, 14556 m/s, destination, interstellar space. Or what would be interstellar space.

http://imgur.com/a/sFy9t

This darn phone won't let me see photos, but if the nukes are stock, then yes, they're fine!

http://imgur.com/a/sFy9t

Alright, legit entry.

Added.

Hi

i never made a heavy lifter but i thought i try this one

starting mass is 1700 tons or so

after dropping the ascend stage it uses 3 stages first with 8 nukes second with one nuke and the last is just the probe core with a Fuel tank and the iny rockomax engine

got me to 34100 m/s (it seemed like i was already accelerating towards the sun but i was inside the Kerbin SOI)

here is the Image album http://imgur.com/a/3oXWq#0

Hello,

I hope everything is legit here. Stock KSP, without any mods. 243.8t ship with 60 parts.

Interestingly past 15 km/s, the orbital and surface velocities started to differ more and more. At the end of the SOI the orbital velocity was 24242.1 m/s while at the same time the surface velocity (from Kerbin's surface) was 34513.8 m/s.

I guess orbital velocity is the one that counts in this challenge?

http://imgur.com/a/QNqfu

Tried again with purpose-built craft (a bit overengineered) using ion drives. I also changed the flight profile: looped out almost to Minmus, then back in again to give more distance and time for low-G acceleration before SOI change. Got to 22285.7 m/s, but I don't think I will get to leader position with ion drives, since the SOI just isn't big enough to allow enough accel time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.