Advanced Aircraft, Building Techniques And Help

V8jester

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

Well, What are your system specs and are you on Windows 10? Win 10 will actually not run KSP in DX9 properly unless you add the ( -dx9) flag in the shortcut target field. And on that note. Are you running OpenGL or DX11?

Personally I find DX9 plays the best with Scatterer and EVE, yielding the best performance. You need the memory to run it this way. But it tends to smooth everything out. 16GB is really the best amount of ram to run this game with, when heavily modded.

Windows 7

GeForce GTX 970

Intel i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00Ghz (quite low I know)

8Gb Ram

Currently I'm using the -dx9 method along with -popupwindow.

My original 64bit KSP folder following your guide reached near 100+ mods after I found myself on a mod downloading spree to try KSP 64bit. Surprisingly it ran! Albeit with a zoom glitch that prevented me from zooming with mouse scroll.

Here's the thing I'm trying to get rid of :

iSgrTvM.png

Above the horizon the black line and the subtle line in the middle.

Edited by victor tan

29 minutes ago, victor tan said:

Windows 7

GeForce GTX 970

Intel i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00Ghz (quite low I know)

8Gb Ram

Currently I'm using the -dx9 method along with -popupwindow.

My original 64bit KSP folder following your guide reached near 100+ mods after I found myself on a mod downloading spree to try KSP 64bit. Surprisingly it ran! Albeit with a zoom glitch that prevented me from zooming with mouse scroll.

Here's the thing I'm trying to get rid of :

above the horizon the black line and the subtle line in the middle.

An i5 is nothing to shake a stick at. And you have the same video card I do. 8gb of ram isn't the best but it is enough to run the game. That zoom glitch, have you tried fast switching out and then back into the game? I get that all the time with -popupwindow. Alt-tabbing should take care of it.

The horizon line is due to a change of how Blackrack renders the ocean. He is working on it but for now we just need to deal with it. I've also been getting that faint line across the middle of the screen since the new ocean shaders. I personally just deal with it as I love the new oceans. I think a lot will change after 1.1 hits. And blackrack / Rbray have a chance to rework everything. For now have you tried DX11? I don't run it personally, but I know a lot of people have been getting good results to decrease there memory footprint.

Edited by V8jester

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

An i5 is nothing to shake a stick at. And you have the same video card I do. 8gb of ram isn't the best but it is enough to run the game. That zoom glitch, have you tried fast switching out and then back into the game? I get that all the time with -popupwindow. Alt-tabbing should take care of it.

The horizon line is due to a change of how Blackrack renders the ocean. He is working on it but for now we just need to deal with it. I've also been getting that faint line across the middle of the screen since the new ocean shaders. I personally just deal with it as I love the new oceans. I think a lot will change after 1.1 hits. And blackrack / Rbray have a chance to rework everything. For now have you tried DX11? I don't run it personally, but I know a lot of people have been getting good results to decrease there memory footprint.

nz2Z1CQ.png

Without -popupwindow, it took nearly 20 mins to get running. Not sure if DX9 would be faster. Alt-Tab is not fixing the zoom.

I'll do more testing tomorrow, as it's late on my side.

Update: With -dx9 the loading was faster.KwM4NPr.png

I tried removing -popupwindow to see if that was causing the no scroll, but no luck there either.

Edited by victor tan

2 minutes ago, maybach123 said:

how did you download 80+ mods when ever i do half that i crash even though i have 32 gb of ram can you put out a tutorial for how you installed them without issues 

By running the game in 64 bit mode. The info for that is at the top of the mod list spoiler tab in the OP. 32bit can't even get close to 80+ mods. Expand the "how to hit 60-100fps" spoiler tab in the OP. There's some good info there as well.

2 hours ago, V8jester said:

By running the game in 64 bit mode. The info for that is at the top of the mod list spoiler tab in the OP. 32bit can't even get close to 80+ mods. Expand the "how to hit 60-100fps" spoiler tab in the OP. There's some good info there as well.

i was running in open gl but ill try the 64 bit work around see if that helps 

thanks

48 minutes ago, victor tan said:

Its seems BD Armory 10.0 hates 64bit. I can't even get the crafts to launch, it glitches the launch. The only other mods I installed are the expansions, not sure if they're the culprit. Haven't tested on 32bit, but I would like to see if you have any problems with it.

w0hrPoh.png

I think there is something else going on. Works great for me on x64. I was working on this just last night.

screenshot3_zpshrpkwrwr.png~original

screenshot2_zpssqoz1tcf.png~original

28 minutes ago, victor tan said:

I later used a regular launch without -dx9 and -popupwindow, and it worked. Not sure why, but they cause the nullreference spam issue as above. So if you find this problem as well, launch KSPx64bit normally. 

Strange... I have -dx9 and -popupwindow on my install and they work fine. Do you have GC Monitor installed? I'm curious just how much ram you're soaking up. With DX9 enabled on my install I can chew through 11-13GB of Ram. So DX9 my be your problem.

edit

Duh it's in your screenshots from earlier :P You are using close to 7GB on an 8GB system. It's just cutting it too close. I'm within 3 GB wich leaves a little more of a margin for the system to use. If you chew up all your ram in the game there is just not enough to run everything else. Might want to think about an upgrade or consider trimming down your mods / textures. AVP is also kind of a memory Hog to begin with unfortunately.

Edited by V8jester

7 hours ago, V8jester said:

Strange... I have -dx9 and -popupwindow on my install and they work fine. Do you have GC Monitor installed? I'm curious just how much ram you're soaking up. With DX9 enabled on my install I can chew through 11-13GB of Ram. So DX9 my be your problem.

edit

Duh it's in your screenshots from earlier :P You are using close to 7GB on an 8GB system. It's just cutting it too close. I'm within 3 GB wich leaves a little more of a margin for the system to use. If you chew up all your ram in the game there is just not enough to run everything else. Might want to think about an upgrade or consider trimming down your mods / textures. AVP is also kind of a memory Hog to begin with unfortunately.

Well actually, I tested an install just with BD Armory and with -dx9 and -popupwindow. It gave the same result every time I launched a stock craft. As you can see in the screenshot above, I hit 5gb of ram for this particular install that only has all the visual and sound mods with BD Armory. I have another install which runs at 6gb + on launch and 8gb after some time in game, but it didn't crash instantly or cause glitches,  just overtime going in and out of the SPH crashing in the loading screen problem that also persist in 32bit KSP.

I might look and test more in this, hopefull I can find a solution of sorts. But thanks for the info! :D

Also, is there a manual somewhere that shows what each of the EVE cloud settings do? I'm trying to get thicker clouds with another layer of low altitude clouds, as well as increasing the distance of which the clouds appear, I hate to look at a flat layer texture of clouds everytime I fly, it sucks the immersion out.

Edited by victor tan

1 hour ago, victor tan said:

Well actually, I tested an install just with BD Armory and with -dx9 and -popupwindow. It gave the same result every time I launched a stock craft. As you can see in the screenshot above, I hit 5gb of ram for this particular install that only has all the visual and sound mods with BD Armory. I have another install which runs at 6gb + on launch and 8gb after some time in game, but it didn't crash instantly or cause glitches,  just overtime going in and out of the SPH crashing in the loading screen problem that also persist in 32bit KSP.

I might look and test more in this, hopefull I can find a solution of sorts. But thanks for the info! :D

Also, is there a manual somewhere that shows what each of the EVE cloud settings do? I'm trying to get thicker clouds with another layer of low altitude clouds, as well as increasing the distance of which the clouds appear, I hate to look at a flat layer texture of clouds everytime I fly, it sucks the immersion out.

I don't know of a manual but try and ask Avera9ejoe or Rbray89

I bet either of them would be happy to help you out. Also use the EVE thread there are lots of guys that know a ton more about EVE than I do. Not trying to pawn you off, just want to help you get the right answers.

Dude, I'm an aircraft lover and looks like we are working on the samething! But the difference is I'm trying it in FAR environment so it's much harder to keep both aircraft stable...So I still not have any success yet.

By the way I've also made a V-22 myself but I can't find a proper engine would you please update your  custom FS Rotor? It can't work properly now.

1 hour ago, MMG said:

Dude, I'm an aircraft lover and looks like we are working on the samething! But the difference is I'm trying it in FAR environment so it's much harder to keep both aircraft stable...So I still not have any success yet.

By the way I've also made a V-22 myself but I can't find a proper engine would you please update your  custom FS Rotor? It can't work properly now.

I think I have made a couple changes to that rotor since I last uploaded it. Sure when I get back home I'll update the download. Here is the most recent thing I built with that very rotor :)

19 minutes ago, V8jester said:

I think I have made a couple changes to that rotor since I last uploaded it. Sure when I get back home I'll update the download. Here is the most recent thing I built with that very rotor :)

T2MRtiy.png

XzEGDJn.png

Actually I'm also making my own stealth reacon helicopter (I prefer create new ones rather than imitate real world ones), since I only have KAX rotors on my hand I put two of them directly in one place an creat a four blades rotor for myself. Although looks a bit strange, it works better than I thought.

You know I'm still in highschool, busy on my school work and have no time to make videos for every craft I've made. But I do made a collection video two month ago and i'll post it later, hope that can give you brief of my present works.:P

3 hours ago, MMG said:

Actually I'm also making my own stealth reacon helicopter (I prefer create new ones rather than imitate real world ones), since I only have KAX rotors on my hand I put two of them directly in one place an creat a four blades rotor for myself. Although looks a bit strange, it works better than I thought.

You know I'm still in highschool, busy on my school work and have no time to make videos for every craft I've made. But I do made a collection video two month ago and i'll post it later, hope that can give you brief of my present works.:P

Wow! I'm truly impressed! Those look adsolutly fantastic!

7 hours ago, MMG said:

Hey here is that updated download for the High Power FS Rotor

Download

Still kind of strange, now I do have a three-blade-rotor and I try to adjust MaxRPM to increase the maximum thrust. But when I launched it, the MaxRPM turn back to default and can only adjust manually. Besides, VEL can't operate it to hover the plane and the hover function of FSrotor is just a kind of...... disaster.

2 hours ago, MMG said:

Still kind of strange, now I do have a three-blade-rotor and I try to adjust MaxRPM to increase the maximum thrust. But when I launched it, the MaxRPM turn back to default and can only adjust manually. Besides, VEL can't operate it to hover the plane and the hover function of FSrotor is just a kind of...... disaster.

Yup that sounds about right for an Osprey. The FS rotor has a bug where the max rpm is not persistant. You need to tweak it in flight every time. You can try bugging Roverdude and Snjo on th FS thread about that one.

The hover button on the rotors really doesn't work very well. Try Vertical Velocity Control

And lastly to keep the Osprey from bouncing during a hover. Use Quantum Struts from the fuselage to the engine nacels. You can then lock the nacels in VTOL or forward flight.

Edited by V8jester

18 hours ago, V8jester said:

Yup that sounds about right for an Osprey. The FS rotor has a bug where the max rpm is not persistant. You need to tweak it in flight every time. You can try bugging Roverdude and Snjo on th FS thread about that one.

The hover button on the rotors really doesn't work very well. Try Vertical Velocity Control

And lastly to keep the Osprey from bouncing during a hover. Use Quantum Struts from the fuselage to the engine nacels. You can then lock the nacels in VTOL or forward flight.

Yeah I've using the Vertical Velocity Control already, but it always says "LOW TWR" even after the RPM. Maybe it cant recognize the engine (I'll try to adjust the thrust of the rotor directly)

By the way have you seen mine video? I @ you in my own thread.

4 hours ago, MMG said:

Yeah I've using the Vertical Velocity Control already, but it always says "LOW TWR" even after the RPM. Maybe it cant recognize the engine (I'll try to adjust the thrust of the rotor directly)

By the way have you seen mine video? I @ you in my own thread.

I ignore the "Low TWR" Warning. as long as it's working then it really doesn't matter. That rotor I sent you also has a crazy amount of SAS force applied to it. so if you need more or less SAS assistance. just tweak the steering factor in the GUI menu.

I did watch your video. Looks like you have a lot of potential for YouTubing, nice job. A couple suggestions though. Try never to use the keyboard to move the camera angles around, KerbCam is outdated but still works great. It looked like you used CameraTools quite a bit, so good job there. Make sure you are always hiding the mouse curser on the right side of the screen. And make sure you aren't filming while in windowed mode.

Would it be possible for you so share some of youre craft files? Im particularly interested in the two refueling tankers you have in your other topic, along with the F-22, B-1B and the AC-130. I saw on one of your youtube vids that you dont really share them anymore, because of support issues but Im more than happy to figure out what mods I need myself. 

3 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

Would it be possible for you so share some of youre craft files? Im particularly interested in the two refueling tankers you have in your other topic, along with the F-22, B-1B and the AC-130. I saw on one of your youtube vids that you dont really share them anymore, because of support issues but Im more than happy to figure out what mods I need myself. 

It's not just a list of mods you'd need. I also have compiled a ton of custom patches and tweaks to existing / outdated mods ever since .25 which you'd also need for some of those planes. Which further complicates me sharing my creations. They are too custom and too specific to my game. That's why I no longer provide downloads. But I am looking for suggestions for tutorial videos. Once I get a new headset, that's my next step.

4 hours ago, V8jester said:

It's not just a list of mods you'd need. I also have compiled a ton of custom patches and tweaks to existing / outdated mods ever since .25 which you'd also need for some of those planes. Which further complicates me sharing my creations. They are too custom and too specific to my game. That's why I no longer provide downloads. But I am looking for suggestions for tutorial videos. Once I get a new headset, that's my next step.

Tutorials are great... but building in this game is tedious. (Unless you want to step by step build each plane...) I just hunt around for prebuilt planes to fly and blow up with BDArmory. Thanks anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.