Missions under construction!

Frida Space

Hi everyone, today I'm here with a pretty useless but (I hope) informative/enjoyable post. In recent Internet adventures, I stumbled upon a few comments like "where have all the space missions gone", or "have we abandoned space", and so on. While it's true that space exploration is suffering from the financial crisis (as almost everything else is), there are many, many missions physically under construction right now (not just cool CGI renderings or animations!). In this thread, my goal is to post pictures you don't often see of spacecraft currently being built, so you can know the highlights of future space exploration in advance, if you didn't already. The purpose is to let everyone realize that space is exciting and cool, and that it will keep being so in the (near) future!

So, here they are, in order of expected launch date:

• NASA's InSight lander to Mars!

Status: Launched postponed to 2018 to due instrument leak; spacecraft at launch site (see this topic)

Description: The InSight lander, based on the Mars Phoenix design, will be the first interplanetary launch from Vandenberg, California. InSight will land in Elysium Planitia on September 28th, 2016, to study the interior of the planet, and hopefully yield clues as to how the rocky planets, Earth included, formed in the first place. It will carry the two MarCo cubesats, the first interplanetary cubesats.

Spoiler

pia19664-MAIN_InSight%20Solar%20Arrays%2

• NASA's OSIRIS-REx mission to asteroid Bennu!

Expected launch: 8 September 2016

Description: OSIRIS-REx will launch in September 2016 and reach asteroid 1999 RQ36 'Bennu' in 2019. After having collected at least 60 grams (>2 ounces) of samples, it will return and land in Utah in 2023. It will be America's first asteroid sample return mission, similarly to Japan's successful Hayabusa and its follow-up Hayabusa 2.

Spoiler

OSIRIS%20HGA%20SolarArray%2010-12-15_005.jpg

• ESA and JAXA's BepiColombo Mission to Mercury!

Status: about to complete final acceptance tests ahead of shipping to launch site

Expected launch: January 2017 (April 2018 according to latest update)

Description: The European/Japanese BepiColombo mission will launch on Jan 27th, 2017, and will arrive at Mercury in 2024, after an Earth flyby, two Venus flybys and 5 Mercury flybys. The two mission components - the Japanese Mercury Magnetospheric Orbiter (MMO) and the European Mercury Planetary Orbiter (MPO), plus the Mercury Transfer Module (MTM) - will study Mercury with unprecedented detail!

Spoiler

The MMO with the adapter on the right

BepiColombo_MMO_unpacking_at_ESTEC_20150420_7.jpg

and the MPO

BepiColombo_MPO-PFM_payload-integration-at-TAS-Turin.jpg

• NASA's Solar Probe Plus to study the Sun!

Launch: 30 July 2018

Description: After 7 Venus flybys, starting from 2024 it will encounter the Sun at least three times at a distance of 3.7 million miles, or within 8.5 solar radii. That is about seven times closer than any spacecraft has ever been. At closest approach to the Sun, while the front of Solar Probe Plus' solar shield will face temperatures approaching 2,500° Fahrenheit (or about 1,400° Celsius), the spacecraft's payload will be near room temperature.

Spoiler

An engineering model of SPP

140318_1_lg.jpg

• ESA's Solar Orbiter to study the Sun!

Launch: October 2018

Description: The spacecraft carries a suite of 10 state-of-the art instruments to observe the turbulent, sometimes violent, surface of the Sun and study the changes that take place in the solar wind that flows outward at high speed from our nearest star. Solar Orbiter will take just under three-and-a-half years to reach its operational orbit around the Sun, modifying its path by making close flybys of Earth and Venus. The highly elliptical operational orbit will take it to within 43 million km of the Sun - closer than Mercury, the innermost planet.

Spoiler

SolarOrbiter_P1070119_625x833.JPG

• ESA's Euclid dark matter telescope!

Launch: 2020

Description: Euclid is an ESA mission to map the geometry of the dark Universe. The mission will investigate the distance-redshift relationship and the evolution of cosmic structures by measuring shapes and redshifts of galaxies and clusters of galaxies out to redshifts ~2, or equivalently to a look-back time of 10 billion years. In this way, Euclid will cover the entire period over which dark energy played a significant role in accelerating the expansion.

I think this covers most of the main missions (except things like JWST, but that's more of a telescope than an actual space mission), but please do tell me if I've missed something. A lot of famous missions, such as Europe's JUICE or AIDA missions, are still in the early concept phases, so no actual photos of construction and things.

So... what is your favorite soon-to-be-spacecraft? What other missions (actually being studied or just your own ideas) would you like to see in the future?

Edited by Frida Space

ESA's Solar Orbiter mission is due for launch in 2017, and should be well into construction by now, but I haven't been able to find any photos.

Same with Chang'e 5 (2017).

So here are some photo's of other missions with the same hardware.

CNSA's Chang'e 5 Lunar Sample Return

change5.jpg

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26848.0;attach=709216;image

Chang'e 5 is a 8 tonne multi-craft "stack" that will launch in late 2017 on a LM-5 rocket. It's main task is to recover over 2 kilograms of lunar soil and return it to Earth through Lunar-Orbital-Rendezvous, an extremely complex mission only performed by the Apollo missions. If successful it will not only give China a large amount of fresh lunar samples (something they badly need) but it will also pave the way for a Martian sample return probe.

ESA's Solar Orbiter mission is due for launch in 2017, and should be well into construction by now, but I haven't been able to find any photos.

It's really strange. ESA awarded Austrium the construction of Solar Orbiter back in 2012, and it's currently the main feature on Astrium's homepage, but there are no photos I can find.

Same with Chang'e 5 (2017).

Hopefully they'll release the first photos soon, I really can't wait for that mission after seeing the success of Chang'e 5 T-1 Reentry Vehicle + Lunar Rendezvous Demonstrator. I'm sure you'll keep us up to date for that mission xeno :)

You should totally include JWST. It's a telescope, yes, but it will be in space, so it's a space mission! :D And it's also officially under construction now.

There's plenty of technical details to enjoy, too. For example, the giant primary mirror made out of 18 hexagonal segments? Yeah, that gets launched folded up, and then will be deployed once in space. Now, keep in mind that the entire telescope stands and falls with its primary mirror. And that it must have the accuracy to collect photons almost one-by-one from objects more than 13 billion light years away - and produce a useful, non-blurry image out of that...

...Can you now appreciate the insane feat of engineering that this foldout mechanism is? :P

Great post, very interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

You should totally include JWST. It's a telescope, yes, but it will be in space, so it's a space mission! :D And it's also officially under construction now.

There's plenty of technical details to enjoy, too. For example, the giant primary mirror made out of 18 hexagonal segments? Yeah, that gets launched folded up, and then will be deployed once in space. Now, keep in mind that the entire telescope stands and falls with its primary mirror. And that it must have the accuracy to collect photons almost one-by-one from objects more than 13 billion light years away - and produce a useful, non-blurry image out of that...

...Can you now appreciate the insane feat of engineering that this foldout mechanism is? :P

Agreed, JWST is going to be a massive step forward in the technology we launch.

Good thread! I've known about a couple of these missions, but some of them are new to me, thanks.
Great post, very interesting.

Thanks! :D

I'll post some photos of JWST afterwards then... There are some truly amazing pics of its construction!

Good to see they are finally building it after almost a decade of postponings!

The launch just got postponed from mid 2016 to January 2017... But I agree, definitely better a few months later then never! Plus, its arrival date at Mercury has remained unchanged.

Bigelow Expandable Activity Module (BEAM) is completed and schedulued to go up on SpaceX CRS-8 late summer. It will be mounted to ISS and spend one year there for testing purposes.

Bigelow_Expandable_Activity_Module_at_Bigelow%E2%80%99s_facility_in_Las_Vegas.jpg

Uzlovoy Module Is scheduled for launch in 2016, but I can't find any real pictures just diagrams.

Nauka

Nauka, has been pushed back and pushed back but it's still on the books to go up in 2017 and at least I can find real pictures of it.

DSC_1916.jpg

Didn't realise we were doing manned stuff as-well.

CNSA's Tiangong-2

china-tiangong-2-space-lab.jpg?1417468339

Tiangong-2 will be China's 2nd space station after Tiangong-1 that was launched in 2011. It will be launched in early 2016 on either a LM-2F or LM-7 rocket. It is heavier and more advanced then T-1 and will be able to allow a crew to stay for over a month as well as do more experiments. As well as this it will also be resupplied by China's first resupply vehicle the Tianzhou, and will carry an experimental closed life support system that could pave the way for Lunar and Martian colony's.

If successful it will not only give China a large amount of fresh lunar samples (something they badly need) but it will also pave the way for a Martian sample return probe.

Why exactly does the Chinese space program badly need fresh lunar samples ? what is the use of those ? Isn't geological and chemical composition of Moon rocks already known by such space agencies thanks to the Apollo program ? I don't get it...? :)

Apollo samples were from a small number of areas spread over a relatively small portion of the moon; all on the nearside near the equator. They also were exposed to the atmosphere inside the LM, rendering measurements of e.g. water content unreliable or useless.

Apollo samples were from a small number of areas spread over a relatively small portion of the moon; all on the nearside near the equator. They also were exposed to the atmosphere inside the LM, rendering measurements of e.g. water content unreliable or useless.

I understand that, but why do the Chinese need a moon sample ? what is the use of a moon sample for their program ? I get it they want it, but actually need​ it ?

Edited by Hcube
typo

This thread is so awesome, so much cool pictures.

The size of the JWST is amazing, i cant imagine how they can cramp this stuff in a fairing where it has to survive a rocket launch and then unfold with extreme accuracy...

I understand that, but why do the Chinese need a moon sample ? what is the use of a moon sample for their program ? I get it they want it, but actually need​ it ?

Because the US only gave China less then a gram of lunar soil and little information (for obvious reasons, Mao). This means China lacks the understanding of the lunar environment compared to the US or Russia. This led to problems such Yutu's brakedown. As well as this, they also want lunar soil for other purposes, such as testing resource mining which they can't do without actually having samples.

Because the US only gave China less then a gram of lunar soil and little information (for obvious reasons, Mao). This means China lacks the understanding of the lunar environment compared to the US or Russia. This led to problems such Yutu's brakedown. As well as this, they also want lunar soil for other purposes, such as testing resource mining which they can't do without actually having samples.

Not to mention doing something like this would help its reputation as a major player in the development and exploration of space.

Bigelow Expandable Activity Module (BEAM) is completed and schedulued to go up on SpaceX CRS-8 late summer. It will be mounted to ISS and spend one year there for testing purposes.

Uzlovoy Module Is scheduled for launch in 2016, but I can't find any real pictures just diagrams.

Nauka, has been pushed back and pushed back but it's still on the books to go up in 2017 and at least I can find real pictures of it.

Thanks! I forgot about those. Thanks again for posting.

This thread is so awesome, so much cool pictures.

The size of the JWST is amazing, i cant imagine how they can cramp this stuff in a fairing where it has to survive a rocket launch and then unfold with extreme accuracy...

Thank you ;-) Yeah, JWST is truly massive. Actually, it's so massive that if it were made of the same material as Hubble, no existing rocket would be able to bring it into orbit! At least, that's what I read, but if I remember correctly it was on a NASA website, so probably a reliable source.

That's a great explanation, thanks. The last time I read something about Yutu (a couple of months ago) I believe the rover was still alive (even if paralized). Do we have any news on its state, or on the Chang'e lander? (a bit off topic, but probably won't last long)

Yes, just as India and Japan are landing China will be taking of again :sticktongue:

Which reminds me!

ISRO's Chandrayaan-2 Lunar Lander

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20324.0;attach=718333;image

No lander pics just yet.

Chandrayaan-2 will be India's second lunar mission and their first to land on the moon. It will be launched in 2017 on a GSLV MK2 and will consist of an orbiter, lander and small rover. It's mission will be prove that India can land a craft on the moon as well as use the probe to conduct science on the lunar surface.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a great explanation, thanks. The last time I read something about Yutu (a couple of months ago) I believe the rover was still alive (even if paralized). Do we have any news on its state, or on the Chang'e lander? (a bit off topic, but probably won't last long)

Yutu is still alive and can be communicated with, however it cannot move and many of it's components and devices have begun to degrade and fail in recent months.

The Chang'e 3 lander is still 100% operational though. It continues with it's science experiments (mainly geological) and it's "main attraction", the UV Lunar Telescope. It's like a mini Hubble on the moon :) .

It's partly an engineering feat, partly because it's the easiest way to get early material from the earth-moon system, and the solar system in general; helps with a whole bunch of geological and astrophysical issues. A sample from the south polar basin would probably be most useful scientifically (and both the US and Russia are working towards that), but it's unclear if it's on the cards-mostly because the moon program so far has been run by engineers under the PLA (like the crewed program) rather than scientists. There has been talk of putting it under control of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, but as far as I know there's no timeframe for that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.