SpaceX launch -- live launch webcast begins at 3:55pm ET (April 14)

steve58

an American "news" organization would never confuse a video simulation with a game :rolleyes:

Indeed.

An American "news" organization would not do this. Fox news would probably show a video of Saturn V and present it as Falcon 9, or something similar :D

About crush landing.

As I understand they probably need bigger landing pad or more powerful RCS, since real life landing conditions in the ocean are less friendly compared to short lift/descents they doing successfully on a ground.

About crush landing.

As I understand they probably need bigger landing pad or more powerful RCS, since real life landing conditions in the ocean are less friendly compared to short lift/descents they doing successfully on a ground.

I think you hit the nail square on the head for this one..

Frankly I doubt giving them a larger target to land on would be an option... unless you want to try and land it on the deck of an aircraft carrier..

but the second part would be more apropiratee.. to be able to land it on "Sea" Conditions would require bigger RCS thrusters to stabilize it a bit more..

But as Musk said after the first test, "We are learning frrom each unsuccessful attempt.." And this so far was the closest to success in just 3 tries here's how the break down goes..

Test 1 Crashed on barge but landed at a 45 degree angle..

Test 2 Had to be aborted due to rough sea contitions..

Test 3; Landed upright but residual motion (Probably again due to the dea moments cause the bird to tip over..

Now as for the landing gear issue, I tend to agree there too.. Maybe they need a wider more stable landing platform in the form of lander legs than what is available now.. but the issue that will have is that the added weight means a bigger redisgner to carry more fuel to get it into the bost phase and then to land it.. (Larger fear menans mroe eight.. )

other than that, this try was o so close from wht the video looks like..

and if tha that motion had been dampened, I bet this would havve been a 100% success.. Instead I put this at about 80 if not 90% success rate. which is better than test 1's failure where it djust got to the pad but crrashed before the motion was dampened..

So I say that's a step in the right direction for Space X..

It almost made it. :)

My Father (God rst his soul) said it best..

"Almost counts in Horseshoes, Handrenades and Nuclear weapons.. I guesswe now can add "Landing rocckets on ships" as another part of this "Almost" logic.

Space_Coyote

Edited by Space_Coyote

I watched it over and over again - hoping, it will land savely once...

Stupid me ;)

Big "thank you" to spacex for the footage.

Now, that we have such footage, I am sure the experts @ SpaceX will figure out how the land savely next time. I don't think stronger RCS is essential. It seems to me, that just some minor tweaks will do the trick, like making RCS more sensive and responsive close to the ground.

I like the late landing gear deployment and the rapid descent - it is truely Kerbal style :)

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.