More Choices in lights

Adding more light choices would indeed be a nice thing. Tiny nav and strobe lights would add a lot to flying at nighttime.

The current lights could use some improvement, however. The inability to create orange light from a single lamp has always been a thing that annoyed me. I also don't like how the lights appear white even when shining a color.

I use these and I really think they should be stock (yeah yeah, the whole' THIS MOD NEEDS TO BE STOCK NAO' syndrome, but this one really should be!):

Surface Lights

They provide more subtle and varied illumination options that are best suited for planes, ships, and stations, and their colours can be changed just like the stock lights.

Here's a ship of mine using 'em:

LNfOeZw.png

Strobes would also be cool, as would wide-beam floodlights (in addition to the narrow-beam ones we have now).

Adding more light choices would indeed be a nice thing. Tiny nav and strobe lights would add a lot to flying at nighttime.

The current lights could use some improvement, however. The inability to create orange light from a single lamp has always been a thing that annoyed me. I also don't like how the lights appear white even when shining a color.

Orang is easy to make set

R - 1.0

G - 0.5

B - 0

Jeb. Orange is the colour other than aqua that i use to light up space stations, i use red for a landing light.

I would be happy if the lens just changed color to match the light emitted.

Especially with the tweakable light colors on the B9 lamps, yes.

Hypothetically, the enhanced PartModule would allow SQUAD/modders to specify the name of the lens mesh that needs to be modified, and then tint the material used on that specific mesh using Material.SetColor() or equivalent.

Blinking strobe lights! I would put that stuff literally on everything!

Practical use as aircraft anti-collision strobes, yes!

Overall, in addition to more choices in light colors/configurations/etc, ModuleLight should be extensively overhauled to support these and various other modder-desired features for maximum flexibility.

I would love to see smaller lights like the Surface Lights, Aviation Lights, and Stack Inline Lights mods in stock. The lights we have now are just too big and bulky.

I would also like to be able to change the light color on EVA, because how many astronauts does it take to change a light bulb anyway?

• 1 month later...
I would be happy if the lens just changed color to match the light emitted.

Arrrrgh! THIS! YES.

It pretty much means that colored lights are as good as useless for me. It's just so wrong-looking. Even the default white color looks wrong; as it stands I have to go and set the illumination color to (roughly) 1.0,0.85,0.5 just so the beam matches the yellowish lens color.

Please...for the good of sci-fi-looking space stations everywhere...tint the lamp lens!

Yes small LED's ,huge floodlights, brown lights, aswell as the ability to dim the brightness and flashing lights.

Jeb. Actually the ability to change them in flight would be good.

you can dim the brightness by adjusting the settings on the light but keeping the value of each color the same.

you can dim the brightness by adjusting the settings on the light but keeping the value of each color the same.

So, you mean that as long as the ratios are the same the light will be dimmer? RGB at 25% each will be white just dimmer?

So, you mean that as long as the ratios are the same the light will be dimmer? RGB at 25% each will be white just dimmer?

Yup. That's what I do when putting the birghtest ones on my ships. They seem a bit to bright on default settings.

Yup. That's what I do when putting the birghtest ones on my ships. They seem a bit to bright on default settings.

AWESOME!!! those round spotlights are crazy bright, and the rectangular lights arent bright enough for bigger stations.

Yes to all of the above, plus some with aerodynamic housings and/or retractable, and steerable spotlights.

I should clarify "retractable". I envision two kinds:

1) A low profile housing with a "hideaway headlight" type of door for aero and thermal protection.

2) A large-area illumination fixture on a telescoping mast. Useful for lighting large stations or ground bases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.