Mk3 launch escape system?

Show me your launch escape systems on your Mk3 space planes!

I would like to include one on mine but the lack of a M3 decoupler has me stumped as to how this could be achieved with stock parts, other than including an ugly circular decoupler behind my cockpit.

How do you guys do it?

Edited by A_name

This requires some fast clicking, but one way is to put escape pods somewhere else on the ship like in the docking bay. Crew transfer to the pods and eject those--perhaps a cluster of Mk1 lander cans with a set of parachutes, or a single Mk1-2 if you don't use all four seats in the cockpit. Leads to "we can't get everyone out in time!" dramas, if you're into that sort of thing.

Welcome, friend. Have you heard the gospel of the Offset Gizmo?

Seriously, all you need to do is use a decoupler (and maybe a couple of struts for added strength) between the cockpit and the rest of the plane. Then, select the offset gizmo and turn off angle snap. You can then select the fuselage of the plane and move it forward smoothly until it mates with the cockpit.

Sprinkle cockpit liberally with Sepratrons and parachutes. Set up the abort action group and voila! A Mk3 LES!

Happy landings!

p.s. Works the same for Mk2.

Mine is fairly simple:

- Cockpit attached to rest of craft with the largest decoupler

- Escape tower on nose + decoupler

- 2 Raidally attached chutes on top

It's ugly, but it flies OK, and it saves my pilots. Can't complain, really.

Attach some parachutes to the cockpit - if you need an escape system it's quite likely you'll have ripped most of the plane apart anyway, just land what's left of it.

Well I decided I needed an LES when my mass and lift became unbalanced during reentry and I was unable to make a controlled descent. Ended up crashing in the ocean. So in that case I would have definitely needed a decoupler.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.