Voodoo aircraft

Craft updated for 1.0

Taking inspiration from the Vampire, Venom and Vixen series of aircraft, built by de Havilland from the mid 1940's to the 1960's, I present to you the Voodoo. Whilst not intended as a reproduction of any of the aforementioned aircraft, I hope that there is at least a family resemblance. Not built for any specific purpose, it has pleasant flying characteristics and I'd like to think it's a good looking aircraft.

It won't fly itself off the runway, but only requires modest elevator input to unstick and become airborne. Glide characteristics are good and with the upswept tail booms, you'd have to be seriously abusing the elevator control near the ground to suffer a tail strike.

voo1.jpg

voo2.jpg

Craft download file

Edited by Scarecrow88

Yes, balance only. Even though I had the CoL just behind the CoM without it, I think the CoM was too close to the trailing edge of the wing, and it led to some strange flight characteristics. Adding the engine at the front moved the CoM forward enough to lose those bad traits.

Yes, balance only. Even though I had the CoL just behind the CoM without it, I think the CoM was too close to the trailing edge of the wing, and it led to some strange flight characteristics. Adding the engine at the front moved the CoM forward enough to lose those bad traits.

No worries man! I'm all for design first then performance balance after. Craft are more interesting that way.

Just realised that I hadn't locked the gimbal on the balancing engine in the nose, which means the small parts of the engine you can actually see move when manoeuvring. Bit off putting! I've amended the craft file to download the fixed version.

It's the internet, there are always going to be haters, even in KSP. :(

Also curious from those of you who have actually downloaded it, what you thought of it's flying characteristics, as I really struggled to stop it cartwheeling all over the sky before introducing a few novel changes.

Edited by Scarecrow88

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.