2.5m xenon tank

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I like using the ion engines. I recently built a craft with 13 ion engines and more xenon tanks than I care to count to drag a lander to Eeloo. The problem is this craft is impossible to refuel because I can't click on all the tanks to transfer fuel, which makes it useless on future missions. The best solution would be a 2.5m xenon tank. I know there's mods for this, but why can't there be a stock 2.5m xenon tank?

There will be a new 1.25m tank which Im jazzed about, no idea how much it will hold. If it held 3-5k in xenon Id be pretty happy.

In the mean time I've built disposable tanks for large solar sailers by putting 2 PB-X150's with clamp-o-tron jr's on both ends, with 8 radial xenon tanks around it. Once its drained I dump it and dock on a new one.

I'd rather keep the 1/8 Jumbo for LFO, it's practical as-is and changing it would create a gap in the LFO tank lineup.

This is beside the fact that a 2.5m xenon tank is pushing the limits of practicality for xenon-propelled spacecraft.

I just don't know if its necessary before we get a large vasmir type engine. You're talking about a huge amount of weight for so little thrust. At some point you're just adding more engines to push more fuel to push more engines to push more fuel. You can get a nice manned mission to Jool with a science lab and all that down to 8 minute burns with 12 ion engines. You just have to be careful about weight. If each of the new 1.25m xenon canisters held 4k in fuel 2 of them should be more than enough.

The ion engines are designed with small, long-distance probes in mind and not large manned missions. NERVAs have been the go-to for all sorts of large-scale interplanetary missions for a while now and taking options away from that in order to benefit the ion engines (which are used quite a bit less and for much smaller missions) doesn't make sense. You also need to remember that unlike the ROUND-8, the Rockomax X200-8 is a staple part and changing it would garner much more outcry than the donut.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.