[Question] 1.0 Mod Armaggeddon

Nothalogh

The very second 1.0 comes out? Potentially all of them. Though RoverDude (with the insider advantage that he has) has already set his stuff up to work with 1.0 the moment it comes out.

Not just Rover Dude, Squad invites all the biggest modders to experimentals. In the last several patch releases all the big mods got updated almost as soon as the update dropped (within 24 hours, because timezones, people sleep). Now, if you have a smaller one that you can't live without, it make take a little longer, but as mentioned Parts that do not rely on plugins (such as Firespitter, which is widely relied upon by several mods) should continue to work . Some plugins will also continue to work depending on if anything they use in the code got changed.

Edited by Alshain

Part-based add-ons should, for the most part, function as before.

Unfortunately, this might be a wrong assumption.

IIRC, Squad changed the whole Isp\thrust thing (meaning that thrust now is variable; Isp is constant) - so they might require an update to their configs.

Not just Rover Dude, Squad invites all the biggest modders to experimentals. In the last several patch releases all the big mods got updated almost as soon as the update dropped (within 24 hours, because timezones, people sleep). Now, if you have a smaller one that you can't live without, it make take a little longer, but as mentioned Parts that do not rely on plugins (such as Firespitter, which is widely relied upon by several mods) should continue to work . Some plugins will also continue to work depending on if anything they use in the code got changed.

Yeah, looks like Sarbian is also in on it because he's been working on trying to adapt MJ to the new update.

Unfortunately, this might be a wrong assumption.

IIRC, Squad changed the whole Isp\thrust thing (meaning that thrust now is variable; Isp is constant) - so they might require an update to their configs.

Not to mention the new stock aero, things will have to be optimized for it.

why did they still keep one of them constant? neither one is constant, AJE already has both Isp and Thrust highly variable for jet engines, so it isn't impossible in the game engine. in a real engine, mass flow is constant for constant chamber conditions, but thrust and Isp vary depending on exit conditions as thrust=mass flow*exit velocity+(exit pressure-atmospheric pressure)*exit area, and Isp=thrust/(mass flow*9.81), exit velocity is constant depending on chamber conditions, but obviously atmospheric pressure isn't constant

oh, ok misunderstood the previous post, great, at least as they integrate mods, I can stop having to install quite so many. (Looks like DRE is no longer necessary, and I may be able to cut Karbonite, depending on how they put in resources)

Would the new aerodynamics render FAR useless?

Useless? No. Obsolete? Possibly.

I don't know the exact nature of the new aero model but many expect it to be similar to NEAR. If this is indeed true I'll probably cross NEAR of my mod list.

If you find the new stock aero makes FAR obsolete, you weren't in the market for realistic aero, you were just in the market for "aero that's based on shape." ;)

Stock aero, from all we know, will be fun, will be both less and more realistic than NEAR (some bits that NEAR skips stock models, many bits NEAR models stock skips), will have holes (as all aero models do), but will not ever be a replacement for FAR if what you're looking for is 'realistic aero' rather than 'not-comically-unrealistic aero' :)

The new aero will not negate the need for FAR and/or DRE. This is still Squad and KSP. They want to keep KSP easy enough that kids can master the basics around an hour, one sitting. With FAR you need a little bit of knowledge regarding aerodynamics else your rocket will flip and explode. With DRE you need more than a little planning else the pod burn up on reentry. Put those two together and achieving orbit and return might take a new kid many hours. Such customers need some success, some positive reenforcement, within the first 15 minutes or so. KSP couldn't adopt anything close to FAR/DRE and maintain that easy playability. Those looking for a challenge, those with patience, will always need things like FAR DRE and RSS to keep KSP fun past hour 100.

I have the same concerns.

Mod I can not play without:

FAR

MKS

Procedural fairings

Procedural Parts

Mec Jeb

Remote Tec

KW Rocketry

LLL parts

Kapernicus tec planets OPM

Tweak Scale

b9

KSP Interstellar.

Also DE but I guess thats obsolete in 1.0.

The new aero will not negate the need for FAR and/or DRE. This is still Squad and KSP. They want to keep KSP easy enough that kids can master the basics around an hour, one sitting. With FAR you need a little bit of knowledge regarding aerodynamics else your rocket will flip and explode. With DRE you need more than a little planning else the pod burn up on reentry. Put those two together and achieving orbit and return might take a new kid many hours. Such customers need some success, some positive reenforcement, within the first 15 minutes or so. KSP couldn't adopt anything close to FAR/DRE and maintain that easy playability. Those looking for a challenge, those with patience, will always need things like FAR DRE and RSS to keep KSP fun past hour 100.

I've logged close to 600 just since buying it through Steam (to log hours.) I probably have close to 50 hours pre-Steam, and I do not use FAR or DRE so those aren't especially a necessity to play past 100 hours. To each his own.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.