[WIP] CxAerospace: Stations Parts Pack v1.0 - Head Over to Add-On Release

cxg2827

Is the PMA done with landed bases in mind (the angle)? Nice.

It's mostly just modeled for orbital stations, with the PMAs on the ISS as the basis of design. Not sure if the offset would be enough to be usable for land bases, but I could be wrong.

Why the offset, then? Seems like it makes alignment on putting a station together much more critical, and you could not use this part on the thrust axis of a station if a docked ship was to want to push it someplace. Love the hab, though, really awesome.

Intent for the PMA is not for assembly of modules. Its basically just an adapter to connect between a 1.25M common berthing mechanism on a station (like Fustek ones) to the standard stock docking port.

Much like the ones on ISS, its primarily used for docking connections for visiting spacecraft. If you build stations with the standard stock docking ports instead of full-diameter 1.25m or 2.5m ports, then this part really isn't needed.

If you use the 1.25M ports, then you can moved the PMA around as your station expands to still give you some areas to dock ships using the smaller port.

For station assembly, just use normal docking ports. And if you want to use a ship/tug to maneuver the station, just use a normal docking port to not worry about issues with the thrust axis not lining up withe the station's CoG (unless the station is not symmetrical, then the offset adapter could help).

Fixed up the external model's mesh and UVs to make the other station parts much easier to create and consistent. They should all be able to share the same texture now too.

Been experimenting with some texturing techniques on my train rides to/from work, and I got something that I'm pretty happy with now:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Been experimenting with some texturing techniques on my train rides to/from work, and I got something that I'm pretty happy with now:

That looks good. The AO brings out the panels, and it "dirties" the look so it can fit in with stock, instead of it being "OMG WHITE".

Thanks for the compliment.

While working on the PMA I got to thinking:

Since the PMA has a passive berthing mechanism on one end, why not model active and passive docking ports?

Is there any interest in this? They would use the nodeType = IACBM_125 so it would mate with the Fustek ones as well.

While working on the PMA I got to thinking:

Since the PMA has a passive berthing mechanism on one end, why not model active and passive docking ports?

Is there any interest in this? They would use the nodeType = IACBM_125 so it would mate with the Fustek ones as well.

I would be interested. I was still using the old, old fusty docking ports in 0.90, but I haven't dusted them off for 1.0.x yet. Having something compatible with SDHI would be good.

Here is some progress on the CBMs. 1.25M base, and then reduce down to 1.198M to be flush with the Fustek IACBM.

For the active one, I'm considering making animated port covers (either as part of the docking port, or as a separate part)

I'd propose the animated port covers should be optional - either with the cover a second part, or (better yet) as a second CBM option (there'd be the exposed ACBM and a covered ACBM). (I don't know how hard this would be - I'm not a modeler:) if the cover fits over the active CBM without changes, you could model the cover separately. You could then create the covered part using MODEL {} nodes in the part config - that way, you aren't duplicating the CBM mesh, and the craft doesn't have to bloat part count to add the cover.

I added this neat mod to my game last night. Developed a 4 NapHab spaceship to send my kerbals to Sarnus. As I am not using TACs yet (I will once I start a new game...I have pilots on their way to Jool and beyond, and do not want to starve them), I find this one to be so great....I am a fan of IVAs, and my kerbals should also appreciate solidly built spacecraft, command pods and living quarters while on their journey through the kosmos.

Keep it up - would love to see an expanded 3+meter NapHab in the future as well.

Cheers!

Here are some of my pics of the Endurance...sending my kerbals to Sarnus (note, I have lots of parts from various mods on my ship...some of them are modified as to my liking). Notice the 4 cabin/pods of the NapHab :).

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Gaultesian

Very nice looking craft :).

I'm planning on adding MM configs for TAC (and other plugins) starting with the next release.

Not sure about 3M+ diameter station parts, but I will be making a longer version of the NapHab to house most likely 6 kerbals. If I do get to larger diameter parts, they would be in the vertical configuration instead of the horizontal that these parts are.

New download in first post.

No MM configs yet (I Lied :P). Ran out of time today, and just wanted to push out this release to start getting some feedback on the CBMs.

The base is 1.25M, with the docking mating surface having a diameter of 1.2M. This will allow some space to add animated port covers to the exterior baseplate. Further texturing is being completed for these as well, so what you see will not be final.

PMA - How to Use:

-Attach a passive CBM (or whichever other one you want) to the blank surface opposite of the APAS-95 port.

-Docking node built into APAS-95 side to be compatible with stock docking port.

Changes:

v0.03
-Additional props and texturing to existing NapHab IVA
-Updated external texturing and EVA handle scale and locations.
-Added Parts:
--1.25M Common Berthing Mechanism (Active)
--1.25M Common Berthing Mechanism (Passive)
--Pressurized Mating Adapter w/ integral docking port located on APAS-95 end.

Thanks!

Yes, I'll be repacking the textures as DDS.

Regarding lower res textures, I'll be playing around with them to see how much it affects the appearance. The station parts will be all sharing the same exterior texture so that will be one method of keeping file size lower. IVA and props need some optimization, so I'll be slowly working on those as well (currently all parts taking up 3MB, but the single IVA with props is 8.5MB). Many of the props are being reused, so that number shouldn't scale linearly with each additional IVA I add.

Wow, that's an awesome parts pack, dude :D! It looks stockalike and is pretty useful for building stations. I'll definitely use it on my new minmus station and Duna mothership! Also, does it have tech tree integration? The parts don't appear in my career VAB, and I'm pretty far in the tech tree.

Edit:

It's actually farther in the tree than I am now. Wrote a MM patch that will hopefully work for that.

Edited by ZentroCatson

I like the new parts (converted from 0.2 to 0.3), and your wishlist of new modules is fantastic. However, Zobraa is on to something, when it comes to converting to dds textures, as many of us use ATM, or we try to reduce our ram usage as much as possible.

I bulit a Mun base, using about 10 of your modules, and I was experiencing a large 'hiccup' of sorts. I tested the station parts on Kerbin, and located the issue with the hab modules. No biggie, but I can see if you bring in more than 4 or 5 habs, you may start experiencing the hiccups.

Cheers.

Wow, that's an awesome parts pack, dude :D! It looks stockalike and is pretty useful for building stations.

It's funny how I wasnt intending on making any of these stocklike, but here I am. :P. Guess my texturing workflow is leaning in that direction.

does it have tech tree integration?

Edit:

It's actually farther in the tree than I am now. Wrote a MM patch that will hopefully work for that.

I still need to play around with the location of these in the tech tree as well as costs (currently under composites). I'll probably push it into Specialized Construction.

I like the new parts (converted from 0.2 to 0.3), and your wishlist of new modules is fantastic. However, Zobraa is on to something, when it comes to converting to dds textures, as many of us use ATM, or we try to reduce our ram usage as much as possible.

I bulit a Mun base, using about 10 of your modules, and I was experiencing a large 'hiccup' of sorts. I tested the station parts on Kerbin, and located the issue with the hab modules. No biggie, but I can see if you bring in more than 4 or 5 habs, you may start experiencing the hiccups.

Cheers.

Thanks for the input. DDS is high on the list, and will be something I update shortly, though I 'm a bit busy at work and at home until next week, so I might not be able to squeeze in a fix until maybe sunday.

Regarding the habs, There will be a longer variant for 6 kerbals, so that can be used to help lower the part count. I'll try to figure out what can be causing the hiccup. Not sure if its IVA related, or exterior.

Either way, I am going to use them until you fix the DDS textures.....why deny a great mod when all it means is a few hiccups every now and then. When it's fixed, it will be awesome. Oh, and a 6 man module sounds great. Before you know it, our kerbals will be living in luxury (well, spartan space travel luxury).

I love the attention to detail, and the roleplaying aspect. I have combined this with TAC life support, soylent and the deepfreeze toe build a 'realistic' space ship that encompasses a variety of crew (engineers, scientist and pilots), who may be utilizing the hab modules for part of most of their long-term journey.

EDIT: Found out the issue - not this mod at all (Whew!), but I just added the contract configuration mod, and it started to hiccup. Checked the forums, and found this a common issue with it (not everyone has it), so I removed it, and all is well (yay - my habs are great!).

Cheers.

Edited by Gaultesian

I love the attention to detail, and the roleplaying aspect. I have combined this with TAC life support, soylent and the deepfreeze toe build a 'realistic' space ship that encompasses a variety of crew (engineers, scientist and pilots), who may be utilizing the hab modules for part of most of their long-term journey.

The roleplaying aspect is why I made these parts. since owning this game, I have only sent out a single manned mission outside the SOI of Kerbin for a free-return flyby at Eve. Sending kerbals out in a single pod without having to plan for life support and living space just felt a bit cheaty for me, so I mostly stuck with probes or Mun Minmus missions using TAC.

EDIT: Found out the issue - not this mod at all (Whew!), but I just added the contract configuration mod, and it started to hiccup. Checked the forums, and found this a common issue with it (not everyone has it), so I removed it, and all is well (yay - my habs are great!).

Cheers.

Good to hear, less work for me!:)

I used the DDS2KSP tool to batch convert the textures to DSS, but I was surprised to see the dramatic increase in the file size. The current pack jumped from 12MB to 82MB. so for now i just changed the smaller textures to DDS (all but 3)

From what I have seen, anything that is greater than 1024x1024 seems to get bloated in size. It almost makes it seem that it would be better to not use any common texture, and have every part have its own dedicated texture. Though I know people have tested out that using a larger texture atlas give the best in-game benefits.

New version has been added to KerbalStuff.

Changes:

v0.03.1
-Majority of textures changed to DDS (none which are 2048x2048 or 4096x4096)
-TechRequired changed to specializedConstruction for all current parts.

Considering each manned part having different textures to help differentiate them and give some variety. Here is a test for the Fitness Module. This texture takes up a very small portion of the current NapHab Texture.

FzaL4oi.png

Edited by cxg2827